CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

45 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

What does everybody think about the Gonzaga offerings? 

Suggs is obviously going to be a very good player but is his ceiling as high as Cunningham or Green? I’d have him behind those two on my board but he may have the highest floor in the draft behind Cade. And while I do think you go bpa in a rebuild, I like those other two guys next to Fultz more than Suggs which may color my view a bit. 

And Kispert is a decent option for us if the bulls pick is mid-lotto though. A guy who can legitimately space the floor is gonna be crucial to the development of this roster offensively. 

• Upvote 1

Suggs is growing on me.  I understand the fit argument for our team specifically but Suggs looks like a game changer.  There’s just something about Cade that doesn’t hit for me.

I find it really difficult to evaluate Suggs because of how good the rest of Gonzaga is. They've got at least 3 other guys on their roster who'll get drafted and he's not really being asked to drive the offense like a lot of other top guys are. Suggs is obviously their most talented player but I don't think he's as important to them as Drew Timme. 

I do think he's a great driver and passer and there's enough to be encouraged by his jumper. Not confident in his handle at the moment, think it's a bit shaky and he's pretty turnover prone in general compared to most Gonzaga guards, its a pretty low turnover system.

He's probably 4th on my personal board behind Cade, Green and Mobley. 

I feel like Suggs is that player that hasn’t really showed what he can really do because of how much talent Gonzaga has

4 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

We better not take a PF or C with our pick or Chicago's pick

If Cade, Suggs, Green are all off the board at 4 who do you pick then? Mobley and Kuminga are consensus top 5. I don’t want Kuminga at the 3 with no ability to spread the floor. And I’m certainly not going to pass on Mobley because we have Bamba on our roster. I agree it would suck and I would hope we could move up in that scenario but you’ve gotta take bpa when you’re still in the top tier of talent in a draft. 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

BPA all the way. 

If you draft Mobley you can easily trade Bamba etc. 

Man, i'm super skeptical of highly drafted big men these days. Just look at the year Bamba was drafted. In some way or other all of the big men in the top 6 have been either a bust or a disappointment. Ayton has to be extended this offseason, he is ok but i bet the Suns aren't gonna be happy forking over a big paycheck for the former number 1 pick. He isn't dominant at anything. WCJ and Jaren Jackson jr. started off looking ok, but have not developed. Bagley and Bamba have been labeled as busts. And that's just one draft.

Embiid,Kat,Porzingus and Anthony Davis big time talents drafted the last ten years. Zing and Embiid haven't even played in half of their teams games. Davis and Kat have missed a ton of games and struggle to make a difference. Luckily, Lebron saved Anthony Davis. It just doesn't look like a great value anymore. It's a wing league now. Big men take a long time to develop for some reason. When i was young centers dominated the NBA. The game has just changed so much.

TL;DR Mobley better look like a HOF in workouts, otherwise pass. If draft guru's aren't comparing him to Embiid or something like that hard pass.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Man, i'm super skeptical of highly drafted big men these days. Just look at the year Bamba was drafted. In some way or other all of the big men in the top 6 have been either a bust or a disappointment. Ayton has to be extended this offseason, he is ok but i bet the Suns aren't gonna be happy forking over a big paycheck for the former number 1 pick. He isn't dominant at anything. WCJ and Jaren Jackson jr. started off looking ok, but have not developed. Bagley and Bamba have been labeled as busts. And that's just one draft.

Embiid,Kat,Porzingus and Anthony Davis big time talents drafted the last ten years. Zing and Embiid haven't even played in half of their teams games. Davis and Kat have missed a ton of games and struggle to make a difference. Luckily, Lebron saved Anthony Davis. It just doesn't look like a great value anymore. It's a wing league now. Big men take a long time to develop for some reason. When i was young centers dominated the NBA. The game has just changed so much.

TL;DR Mobley better look like a HOF in workouts, otherwise pass. If draft guru's aren't comparing him to Embiid or something like that hard pass.

A not small section of draft guys think he's the clear #2 prospect in this draft. 

I have doubts about Mobley because of his strength and frame and lack of physicality at times but unlike Bamba for example he's shown incredible fluidity and, more importantly, a very high level understanding of the game.

In an article for The Athletic Sam Vecinie (The Athletic draft guy who's previously lambasted us for drafting long big guys a lot, so this was somewhat ironic) said he'd still draft Mobley for us because Bamba and Carter haven't proved they're worth extending and Mobley has the potential to be that good.

Don't get me wrong I'm hoping for Cade or Green and I have no idea how Mobley will turn out but imagine 5 years from now Mobley is an All Star and Suggs is just an above average guard and Bamba is out of the league. We wouldn't be saying 'well we had Bamba and needed a wing so it made sense to not draft him'.

BPA all the way.