Soul Bro

2020-2021 General Game Thread

5 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Anthony, Fultz, Isaac 

In fairness to this conversation, I’m not sure we have a transcendent star. Thus, the longing for a top pick.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

In fairness to this conversation, I’m not sure we have a transcendent star. Thus, the longing for a top pick.

Oh, I get it, but this team obviously isn’t interested in going that direction so I’m just trying to embrace the known. We decided a whole lot of things for the short term future when we chose to extend Isaac and Fultz.

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Oh, I get it, but this team obviously isn’t interested in going that direction so I’m just trying to embrace the known. We decided a whole lot of things for the short term future when we chose to extend Isaac and Fultz.

Agree. I believe the only way we get the best odds for a top pick is if Vooch gets traded or gets hurt (not that I want that). Kind of like Steph going down for GS last year. If Vooch stays and plays well, I think we are destined for a mid lotto pick.

The entire discussion around tanking is essentially predicated on how hopeful each person is for Fultz and Isaac. 

I'm more optimistic than most I'm aware. I think Fultz will be at least an above average starting PG and I'm hopeful that Isaac can get and stay healthy and we know he's a potential DPOY when he's healthy.

Given that, it's not hard for me personally to think 'if we can somehow be an 8 seed this year with all these injuries maybe we can be a 4 or 5 seed next year with normal injury luck, our starting PG and an All Defense Team calibre forward.' And there are worse situations to be in than being a 5 seed with all your own picks into the future and a handful of good looking prospects developing (Cole, Okeke, hopefully our draft pick this year, maybe Bamba)

I understand that a top pick could really help accelerate us. I'd be super excited if we got one. But I'm not going to root for us to lose. Especially with the reformed lottery odds where even the worst record in the NBA still has a 48% chance of picking outside the top 4. 

You don't win championship with above average players, especially if they've other kind of issues (shooting for Fultz, injuries for Isaac)
Calling Anthony a stud now it's a bit of a longshot.
We still don't have cap space at all and we don't seem to be an active team on the trade market.

How do you win a title like that? Because the target is still to win it all right? For me it is. If we're happy about entering the playoffs as a lower seed, we can stay that way forever...

5 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

You don't win championship with above average players, especially if they've other kind of issues (shooting for Fultz, injuries for Isaac)
We still don't have cap space at all and we don't seem to be an active team on the trade market.

How do you win a title like that? Because the target is still to win it all right? For me it is. If we're happy about entering the playoffs as a lower seed, we can stay that way forever...

Unpopular comment here I know, and it’s got nothing to do with my personal beliefs,  but the current management doesn’t seem to care about building a championship contender, or just simply doesn’t know how to in the new era.

Our last run ended right around when the “super team” era started, so the only real chance we have in getting back to championship level is if we get superstars that want to team up together here, just like the Lakers have done and the Nets are doing. The management has opted for fielding a well coached, bottom playoff seed squad because it gets more local support and more money when we’re somewhat competitive. A pretty severe catch 22 in us just being bad all of the time is the team/ownership losing money, ownership selling and the new owners moving the team out or Orlando which I’m sure nobody here on this board wants.

34 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Having a solid team with above average players puts you in a good position to acquire a star though. 

Free agents might think "those guys are pretty good without me, I can go there, still be the main guy but with help". 

Or when you make a trade you're trading with the infrastructure of a playoff team already in place and hoping the star you acquire can give you the things you're missing (usually elite shot creation). 

One thing I will say as well is don't equate being active on the trade market with being good on the trade market. Making a trade for the sake of making a trade or because fans think you need to make a trade, or because you're impatient, and getting less value than you should isn't preferable to finding the best deal at the right time. (Or it isn't to me anyway). Now if Weltman doesn't pull the trigger on any trades and we lose guys in free agency there's a chance he's just over valuing our guys and that's different and something to be criticised. But saying "we don't seem to be active on the trade market" doesn't preclude us from making a great trade in the future. 

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Steph Curry says "Hello". 

2009-2010 - Warrior's record was 36-46 - third in the Pacific Division. There were no superstars on that team. Steph averaged 17.5 points a game. He is now averaging 30.0 pts. per game.

2015 NBA Finals Champions (Golden State Warriors)

"For the first time in 40 years, the Golden State Warriors are NBA Champions. In a fitting end to a spectacular, record-breaking season, the Warriors defeated the Cavs 105-97 in Game 6 on Tuesday night to win the NBA Finals 4-2."

Golden State Warrior's Roster 2009-2010

No. Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date   Exp College
4 Jeff Adrien PF 6-7 245 February 10, 1986 us R UConn
19 Lou Amundson PF 6-9 220 December 7, 1982 us 4 UNLV
34 Charlie Bell SG 6-3 200 March 12, 1979 us 6 Michigan State
15 Andris Biedriņš C 6-11 240 April 2, 1986 lv 6  
25 Rodney Carney SF 6-7 205 April 15, 1984 us 4 Memphis
30 Stephen Curry PG 6-3 185 March 14, 1988 us 1 Davidson
8 Monta Ellis SG 6-3 185 October 26, 1985 us 5  
50 Dan Gadzuric C 6-11 240 February 2, 1978 nl 8 UCLA
2 Acie Law PG 6-3 195 January 25, 1985 us 3 Texas A&M
10 David Lee PF 6-9 245 April 29, 1983 us 5 Florida
7 Jeremy Lin PG 6-3 200 August 23, 1988 us R Harvard University
77 Vladimir Radmanović PF 6-10 227 November 19, 1980 ba 9  
23 Al Thornton PF 6-8 220 December 7, 1983 us 3 Florida State
20 Ekpe Udoh C 6-10 245 May 20, 1987 us R Michigan, Baylor
55 Reggie Williams SF 6-6 205 September 14, 1986 us 1 Virginia Military Institute
32 Brandan Wright PF 6-10 210 October 5, 1987 us 2 UNC
1 Dorell Wright SF 6-9 205 December 2, 1985 us 6

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Agree. I believe the only way we get the best odds for a top pick is if Vooch gets traded or gets hurt (not that I want that). Kind of like Steph going down for GS last year. If Vooch stays and plays well, I think we are destined for a mid lotto pick.

But know one has a crystal ball to determine how that will turn out. Draymond Green was 35th pick, second round in the 2012 draft. Sometimes there might be that "diamond in the rough" that goes unnoticed or passed over. Then later, a team takes that player, late draft or undrafted, and they become a great asset to that team.

32 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Steph Curry says "Hello". 

2009-2010 - Warrior's record was 36-46 - third in the Pacific Division. There were no superstars on that team. Steph averaged 17.5 points a game. He is now averaging 30.0 pts. per game.

2015 NBA Finals Champions (Golden State Warriors)

"For the first time in 40 years, the Golden State Warriors are NBA Champions. In a fitting end to a spectacular, record-breaking season, the Warriors defeated the Cavs 105-97 in Game 6 on Tuesday night to win the NBA Finals 4-2."

Golden State Warrior's Roster 2009-2010

No. Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date   Exp College
4 Jeff Adrien PF 6-7 245 February 10, 1986 us R UConn
19 Lou Amundson PF 6-9 220 December 7, 1982 us 4 UNLV
34 Charlie Bell SG 6-3 200 March 12, 1979 us 6 Michigan State
15 Andris Biedriņš C 6-11 240 April 2, 1986 lv 6  
25 Rodney Carney SF 6-7 205 April 15, 1984 us 4 Memphis
30 Stephen Curry PG 6-3 185 March 14, 1988 us 1 Davidson
8 Monta Ellis SG 6-3 185 October 26, 1985 us 5  
50 Dan Gadzuric C 6-11 240 February 2, 1978 nl 8 UCLA
2 Acie Law PG 6-3 195 January 25, 1985 us 3 Texas A&M
10 David Lee PF 6-9 245 April 29, 1983 us 5 Florida
7 Jeremy Lin PG 6-3 200 August 23, 1988 us R Harvard University
77 Vladimir Radmanović PF 6-10 227 November 19, 1980 ba 9  
23 Al Thornton PF 6-8 220 December 7, 1983 us 3 Florida State
20 Ekpe Udoh C 6-10 245 May 20, 1987 us R Michigan, Baylor
55 Reggie Williams SF 6-6 205 September 14, 1986 us 1 Virginia Military Institute
32 Brandan Wright PF 6-10 210 October 5, 1987 us 2 UNC
1 Dorell Wright SF 6-9 205 December 2, 1985 us 6

This is correct but for one small problem. Our Steph was Oladipo who by his second season averaged 17 points a game and had a nice stroke. Our management didn't want him because he wasn't a point guard, simple as that and Evan was cheaper.

We haven't drafted a player since then who displayed the offensive prowess that either Steph or Dipo displayed those years. Cole Anthony shows some promise but wasn't elite at anything in college. Again hate to bring this up it still makes no sense years later, i try to just pretend Ross is Dipo. He wins a few games for us every year and is cheaper and is still here.

There are no Stephs on our roster. Fultz will never get close, Isaac can be an All--Star if he can stay healthy. Evan and Vucevic have been what they are since they got paid. Honestly both have been worth the contracts, put them on a team with a top 12 point guard they would have balled the last 5 years.

Since 1998 only 5 players picked # 1 overall have won an NBA title. LeBron James, Andrew Bogut, Dwight Howard, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis.... Kyrie, Dwight, AD all road LeBron there, Bogut road Steph, Klay and Draymond there

• Like 1