Soul Bro

2020-2021 General Game Thread

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

Sure but the point is to truly contend we need a transcendent star. I’m not watching much college ball but all of the draft pundits say this year is loaded. Thus, my deep desire to trade Vooch and aim for the moon.

I’m all for it, I think my new favorite thing to do is just play devils advocate, makes for fun conversing and nobody really does it on here anymore :)

if our starting 5 next year are Fultz/Cunningham/Isaac/Okeke/Bamba I’m more excited than I’ve been in a long time

3 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m all for it, I think my new favorite thing to do is just play devils advocate, makes for fun conversing and nobody really does it on here anymore :)

if our starting 5 next year are Fultz/Cunningham/Isaac/Okeke/Bamba I’m more excited than I’ve been in a long time

Stop playing with my heart. Lol

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Same here! I'm sort of a "prove it" person  :) But I do want people to take me seriously.

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

Stop playing with my heart. Lol

I think we’re making a similar argument in 2 very different ways, which is just fun and part of what I love so much about this sport. Your point is you need the 1st pick to get a LeBron, my point is that the 1st pick isn’t always LeBron, actually it rarely is. Like, 13 of the last 22 champions have had a first overall pick, but those are 4 LeBron, 4 Duncan, 4 Shaq and a Bogut (please correct me if I’m wrong on that, that’s off the top of my head)

3 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Same here! I'm sort of a "prove it" person  :) But I do want people to take me seriously.

Oh, we’ve both been around here way too consistently way too long to not be taken seriously :)

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Having a solid team with above average players puts you in a good position to acquire a star though.

You know we have discussed that a lot of times already... :)

I respect all your points and I find them very logical, even if I don't agree with them. I'm still convinced that we haven't the team, the assets, or the cap space to convince a superstar to join. You also usually need one to convince another to join, and before you said we have one, I'll reiterate that Vuc is not that kind of player, even if he's playing out of his mind right now.
Wouldn't be that efficient in a different team as a second/third otion though.

Also, we only could judge management for the info we have, and the product we show. Maybe in the future they'll complete a great trade, or maybe not. Until now, they're just waiting too much to choose a path. 

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think we’re making a similar argument in 2 very different ways, which is just fun and part of what I love so much about this sport. Your point is you need the 1st pick to get a LeBron, my point is that the 1st pick isn’t always LeBron, actually it rarely is. Like, 13 of the last 22 champions have had a first overall pick, but those are 4 LeBron, 4 Duncan, 4 Shaq and a Bogut (please correct me if I’m wrong on that, that’s off the top of my head)

I just don’t want us to settle for the hope of health and growth of our current roster, if that makes sense. And I’d be excited for just a top 3 pick :)

2 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I just don’t want us to settle for the hope of health and growth of our current roster, if that makes sense. And I’d be excited for just a top 3 pick :)

Yeah, I hear you there. I think a lot of my thinking when it comes to this team is defensive. We simply just have a management team that’s terrified to take risks

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Wait... This is a bit misleading. The question should be how many of the championship teams since 1998 included a #1 pick on their roster? The answer is 13 of the teams... or 59% of the teams.

Coming back to this to make 1 more point, only the 4 Duncan titles and the 1 Kyrie/LeBron title were won by teams that drafted the first overall selection. 5 out of 22, 22.7%

39 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Coming back to this to make 1 more point, only the 4 Duncan titles and the 1 Kyrie/LeBron title were won by teams that drafted the first overall selection. 5 out of 22, 22.7%

I'm including the #1 pick whether that player was drafted by, traded to, or signed by the championship team. In other words, top talent is needed to win championships. 

9 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Where would the team be today and where would it be at end of the regular season IF / WITH Markelle, JI, Aaron, Fournier, Cole, Chief would be relatively healthy / playing? In 1st place?

Very hard to tell, too much IF's, but best case scenario IMO, with the soft schedule we have had until now, we could be between BKN and MIL now. And then lose some with the hard schedule ahead in the second part. Something like a 4th 5th seed.