Soul Bro

2020-2021 General Game Thread

7 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I usually agree with you but I come to the opposite conclusion.  Where we are now is what I predicted on these forums 8 years ago when we broke with all previous Magic history and decided to go with a tanking strategy.  High risk with the odds stacked against you, and if you don’t get that superstar, you condemn yourself to mediocrity or worse for a very long time.

Better to do the hard work of trying to stay competitive and building a team piece by piece, like we did with Heart and Hustle.  It also doesn’t wreck your team culture when you take that approach. 

I see your point, but I think the counter argument here is that we kind of “half tanked”. The highest we picked during that time was 2 when we got Oladipo in what might’ve been the worst draft class in the past 20 years. When we got AG we weren’t quite bad enough to get Embiid by 1 pick, when we drafted Hezonja we were 1 pick away from Porzingis, when we drafted Bamba we were 1 pick away from Trae/Luka... it’s been a tremendous run of awful luck since Dwight demanded out and we spent too many years not fully committed to competing OR tanking... I’m just tired of it *sigh*

44 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I usually agree with you but I come to the opposite conclusion.  Where we are now is what I predicted on these forums 8 years ago when we broke with all previous Magic history and decided to go with a tanking strategy.  High risk with the odds stacked against you, and if you don’t get that superstar, you condemn yourself to mediocrity or worse for a very long time.

Better to do the hard work of trying to stay competitive and building a team piece by piece, like we did with Heart and Hustle.  It also doesn’t wreck your team culture when you take that approach. 

The problem with this approach is that we have thus far totally failed to find any of those pieces. The league is also very different than it was in those years

36 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

The problem with this approach is that we have thus far totally failed to find any of those pieces. The league is also very different than it was in those years

We haven’t found those pieces because by tanking we had little to work with and no one wanted to come here.  Admittedly our emphasis on everything but shooting also hurt us but that was also part of the tanking strategy.  

One big difference now compared to prior years is that the odds of getting a very high draft pick are much worse now no matter how bad your record is.  

Well on the bright side we appear to have finally found a team that shoots worse than us   :)

3-12 from three, 8-24 from two, for Minnesota. 

4 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

We haven’t found those pieces because by tanking we had little to work with and no one wanted to come here.  Admittedly our emphasis on everything but shooting also hurt us but that was also part of the tanking strategy.  

One big difference now compared to prior years is that the odds of getting a very high draft pick are much worse now no matter how bad your record is.  

I’m going to have to disagree that is the reason we haven’t found those pieces. We haven’t found those pieces because of bad management and hiring

Just now, Jason Funderburker said:

I’m going to have to disagree that is the reason we haven’t found those pieces. We haven’t found those pieces because of bad management and hiring

I can’t argue with that either

Just now, s1n1st3r12 said:

Spoke too soon

You’re totally right.  Minnesota really stunk in the first and I got excited.  Was premature.