Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

“When you look back to last season and those first few weeks in the bubble, we were one of the best-playing teams in the East,” Martins said. “We were on the trajectory where we could have been the Miami Heat of last year and possibly have reached the Finals in the bubble. Even before that, on the night of March 11th when the league stopped, we were coming off a great West Coast trip. You take where we were at that point in time last season and we’re saying to ourselves, ‘We have some great young talent — when it’s healthy.’

“We believe that when we get Jonathan Isaac, Markelle Fultz, Cole Anthony and everybody else healthy, that this is a team with a lot of talent — especially with Vooch (All-Star center Nikola Vucevic) playing at the highest level of his career. We believe we have a lot of promise when we get everybody back on the floor next season. We have the players; we just need to get healthy — unfortunately, that’s not going to be this season.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-orlando-magic-alex-martins-vote-of-confidence-20210317-x7fyypfrjbfe3dp4ylrjn6h7uy-story.html

according to Martins we don't need to make any trades since we already have the players we need to make the finals

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e476l3v2gkkuefxcszqp9r

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-orlando-magic-alex-martins-vote-of-confidence-20210317-x7fyypfrjbfe3dp4ylrjn6h7uy-story.html

according to Martins we don't need to make any trades since we already have the players we need to make the finals

Wow!  How delusional.  The fact is that ever since Alex took over it has been by far the worst stretch in Magic history.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Good grief. Thanks, TNB. No wonder WeltHam have such a long rope. You know what would help the Magic? If they had an outside consulting group objectively evaluate the organization from top to bottom. There is so much bias and organizational nepotism within the Magic that they can't see things clearly. If we stand pat at the deadline, I'll be so disappointed... but not surprised. 

• Upvote 2

In addition to that article, there was another recent article in the Sentinel about the Magic:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-back-to-back-against-knicks-nets-challenging-stretch-20210317-3esyljdja5gnjnraezgn7lj24i-story.html

"The Orlando Magic’s schedule is about to ramp up in terms of difficulty. Not that this pandemic-driven season has been easy by any stretch, but Orlando is about to enter a gauntlet of games that likely will determine its playoff future.

As slim as those chances currently might appear, the Magic are only 4½ games out of the 10th and final play-in spot, currently held by the Pacers. Still, it won’t be an easy climb.  Orlando will have to jump past four teams to get there and can't afford to slip much more in the standings.

The Magic are staying optimistic."

Playoffs??  With an 8 game losing streak and one of the worst records in the NBA?  It's hard for me to understand the mindset behind some of the comments in these articles.

27 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

In addition to that article, there was another recent article in the Sentinel about the Magic:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-back-to-back-against-knicks-nets-challenging-stretch-20210317-3esyljdja5gnjnraezgn7lj24i-story.html

"The Orlando Magic’s schedule is about to ramp up in terms of difficulty. Not that this pandemic-driven season has been easy by any stretch, but Orlando is about to enter a gauntlet of games that likely will determine its playoff future.

As slim as those chances currently might appear, the Magic are only 4½ games out of the 10th and final play-in spot, currently held by the Pacers. Still, it won’t be an easy climb.  Orlando will have to jump past four teams to get there and can't afford to slip much more in the standings.

Playoffs??  With an 8 game losing streak and one of the worst records in the NBA?  It's hard for me to understand the mindset behind some of the comments in these articles.

Rich Devos was a very successful individual who was driven. He wanted to win and didn’t need years to evaluate to know it’s not working. He’s gone and I think we’re simply seeing the affects of it. 

30 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

What do you expect they come out and say "nah we're just trading everyone for anything we can get our hands on" that's a great negotiating tactic. 

They've also got to sell tickets for the rest of the year and you don't do that by outwardly saying "we're not even trying to win".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

What do you expect they come out and say "nah we're just trading everyone for anything we can get our hands on" that's a great negotiating tactic. 

They've also got to sell tickets for the rest of the year and you don't do that by outwardly saying "we're not even trying to win".

Correct. However, there’s an old saying, “You can bs everyone sometimes, you can bs some everytime, but you can’t bs everyone everytime.”

Just now, Magicman28 said:

Correct. However, there’s an old saying, “You can bs everyone sometimes, you can bs some everytime, but you can’t bs everyone everytime.”

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not defending the statements. I'm just pointing out that you can't really take things said to the media as anything more than PR. Like does Alex Martins actually believe we could have been the Miami Heat last season? Almost assuredly not but he's got to sell tickets, sell sponsorships, keep board members happy and all that other crap that comes with his job. It is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not defending the statements. I'm just pointing out that you can't really take things said to the media as anything more than PR. Like does Alex Martins actually believe we could have been the Miami Heat last season? Almost assuredly not but he's got to sell tickets, sell sponsorships, keep board members happy and all that other crap that comes with his job. It is what it is. 

I get that but he’s not filling up that arena with Magic fans. I’m also curious how much Magic merchandise is being bought. I would guess it’s very low.

They can spread sunshine and rainbows all they want but even now the national media are beginning to call them out.

IMO, a turnaround will only happen if you have new ownership. Rich was the driving force. The energy to win was from him. That’s gone. We need new blood. 

Lol 8 straight losses...and then like 10 straight playoff teams after this knicks game tonight.

yerp...playoff bound. Sounds legit. Lol.

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Two years ago Herro wasn't in the league.

I also think Herro is overrated based on last year's playoffs. 

I was talking about the draft pick that led to Herro. But let those rose colored vooch glasses blind you. Hahahahaha 

• Downvote 1