Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

42 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Mozgov doesn't count against the cap.  Draft picks normally get 120% of slot, so the 4th pick next year will get $7.1M.

Yes, I couldnt remember if the medical application was successful or not. Either way, that still puts us on 114.5 plus another 7 odd mill totalling just over 121.6 with 4 roster spots still to fill. FO office is going to have to be pretty creative this summer, I don't think that's something they've shown they're capable of being.

6 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

Yes, I couldnt remember if the medical application was successful or not. Either way, that still puts us on 114.5 plus another 7 odd mill totalling just over 121.6 with 4 roster spots still to fill. FO office is going to have to be pretty creative this summer, I don't think that's something they've shown they're capable of being.

4 roster spots with circa $14m to spend doesn't really require much creativity. 

1 guy in the $7-8m range, 2 vet minimum guys and a 2nd round pick would fit.

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

4 roster spots with circa $14m to spend doesn't really require much creativity. 

1 guy in the $7-8m range, 2 vet minimum guys and a 2nd round pick would fit.

Well full MLE next year is what, 9.7 mill? It's not like they're going to go as close to luxury tax as possible, they're still going to want some wriggle room. Those 4 pieces you suggest would still put us far too close to the luxury tax for my liking. Crazy in itself that our salary is so high for squad we have right now. Our salary level is actually quite depressing the more I look at it :(

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Is your $117m inclusive of the top 5 pick? Because I get $114.5m before adding the pick salary in. 

I got the info from Spotrac.  They show $118.5M, but that includes Bacon's $1.8M, which isn't guaranteed.  They show Clark's contract guaranteed next year, but I've seen other sites claim it isn't.  If you take out Clark and Bacon, they match your $114.5M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/cap/2021/

• Upvote 1

Josh Robbins in The Athletic today has an article that the upshot is essentially "if the Magic trade Fournier and don't get a starting SG for him or if they lose him in free agency they'll probably have to trade Aaron Gordon for a SG". 

Can't see the direct logic in that myself. First of all, we could quite easily draft one. Second, you could start Cole and Fultz together quite easily and, given the fact that they're both here for at least the next 3 years, we should probably see if it works when they play together.  Third, we could use some or  (at least close to) all of the MLE to bring one in. And finally, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we went into camp without a defined "starting SG" and had a couple guys on the roster compete for that position. 

Yeah that article is daft. We most likely draft a guard or wing and use AG to trade for whichever position we don't fill in the draft. Don't see us using all the MLE though.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Josh Robbins in The Athletic today has an article that the upshot is essentially "if the Magic trade Fournier and don't get a starting SG for him or if they lose him in free agency they'll probably have to trade Aaron Gordon for a SG". 

Can't see the direct logic in that myself. First of all, we could quite easily draft one. Second, you could start Cole and Fultz together quite easily and, given the fact that they're both here for at least the next 3 years, we should probably see if it works when they play together.  Third, we could use some or  (at least close to) all of the MLE to bring one in. And finally, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we went into camp without a defined "starting SG" and had a couple guys on the roster compete for that position. 

This is Robbins’ position every time people bring up trading Fournier. “Who is going to replace him?”

They are going to eventually need to move AG anyway so I don’t see why you would wring your hands over it

On 12/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, Soul Bro said:

Will we make the playoffs?

Is Fultz our franchise point guard?

Are Anthony and Okeke ready for the big league?

So many unanswered questions. Are you guys ready for some Magic basketball?

My answers with half the season behind us.  I know, I’m cheating:

No

Unclear due to a new unexpected injury

Look promising but too early to tell.  Okeke in particular inhibited by his teammates who don’t pass him the ball.

Regarding the last question, partly but not only due to injuries, it’s hard to get excited about watching Magic games at this point.  Not enough teamwork.  

• Like 1