Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

18 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Horton-Tucker would of been nice at 45 in the 2nd round....

Oh damn we had him lol

Vanderbilt just locked up a spot in the Wolves rotation... We had him too, but traded him for Justin Jackson.

2 hours ago, Shine88 said:

Vanderbilt just locked up a spot in the Wolves rotation... We had him too, but traded him for Justin Jackson.

He looks decent! You actually can’t make this up smh!!! Loving the Bacon, Clark, Ennis combo though. Huge upside 

1 hour ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Could we look into getting Dennis Smith Jr or is he too far gone now? I know we were looking at him at one stage before we got Fultz. 

He can’t shoot or run an offense. I’d rather try to get Lin.

1 hour ago, J-Mac said:

I rather just tank and see what we can get in trades, this season is weird as it is already.

The more i think about it...

This sort of idea is growing on me

10 hours ago, Shine88 said:

The team that drafted Vanderbilt, the Denver Nuggets, got absolutely nothing from him. Some guys just need the right situation at the right time to develop. 

Same thing with Talen Horton Tucker. Do we really think he develops the same if he's not practicing and playing with LeBron and AD? (Not to mention he's had 2 half decent games mostly in garbage time and people are acting like he's a future star).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tank discussion is interesting because in reality we don't actually have to do much. We've made no trades so far and have been blown out in the past 3 games. Move Fournier under the pretence that we have to do it or we lose him for nothing, if any contender badly needs a backup or something at the deadline maybe they'll slightly overpay for Ennis, MCW or Aminu if he proves he's healthy. 

Moves like that will make us worse.

AG, Vuc and Ross have kind of already proved that they're not enough to consistently get us wins over good teams so happy to keep all those guys unless any of them become particularly unhappy at being in their prime and losing at which case we move them if a great offer comes along. 

Having a rookie starting PG is already a sure fire way to lose games. And that's no disrespect to Cole but that's just a lot of responsibility on a young guy who wasn't a lottery pick and who didn't even have summer league and a real off-season to prepare. 

It's really not worth absolutely gutting your team to tank anymore because of the reduced odds but if we can be one of the 10 worst teams in the league while keeping some of the core that got us to the playoffs in years past and Fultz and Isaac to return then we're only a little bit of lottery luck away from a brighter future. 

Still not sure that's what Weltman and Hammond will do but it has to look appealing with Cade right there.

I’d like us to look for young talent with upside already in the league. A Vooch for Wiseman kind of package comes to mind. While we won’t contend this year, plenty of teams who are contending would like Vooch, Gordon, Fournier and Ross.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The team that drafted Vanderbilt, the Denver Nuggets, got absolutely nothing from him. Some guys just need the right situation at the right time to develop. 

Same thing with Talen Horton Tucker. Do we really think he develops the same if he's not practicing and playing with LeBron and AD? (Not to mention he's had 2 half decent games mostly in garbage time and people are acting like he's a future star).

I think this goes back to the argument we should never balk at drafting 2 or 3 guys and keeping them. We see playoffs teams drafting second rounders and having them on the bench until they are ready. W see other fringe lottery teams making small trades for guys who seem to be filler and two years later they are starters. And finally some teams making trades for better fitting players. As always the complaint is our team doing very little. Can't use the argument anymore about cap hits or previous management screwing us. In the last 3 years we have seen every kind of trade happen, all kinds of trades. every scenario....it can be done if the team is willing.

I'm with CT Magic. We don't have to tank, it's already happening. What i would like to see is somehow we get a bridge point guard maybe even one with more then one year on his contract. We need one so Cole can develop and most importantly so Vuvevic,Gordon,Ross and all the vets don't lose faith or confidence. We are going to lose alot this year so lets try to get a rotation and keep people healthy. If we really are a sub 20 win team nothing can save us and the top lotto is all luck. I'd rather get a point guard, spread out the minutes and try to keep everyone healthy. It's too early to comment on march trades, let that play out.

Making a trade for a point guard right now is my preference. If we do get a guard off the street stop suggesting these washed up shooters, that's what we needed last year. Right now we need a pass first guy, bonus points if he can hit a 3, but not Isiah Thomas or guys like him. All they will do is hit a bunch of bad shots every other game, give up 30 and ruin team chemistry. One of those guys would have been good last year when we could have hidden their liabilities.

Best thing that can happen is  they do postpone some games and we can get healthy and get a guard.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I’d like us to look for young talent with upside already in the league. A Vooch for Wiseman kind of package comes to mind. While we won’t contend this year, plenty of teams who are contending would like Vooch, Gordon, Fournier and Ross.

I'd do Vooch for Clint Capela and De'Andre Hunter, but doubt Atlanta would.  They'd probably want to sub Reddish for Hunter.

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

I think this goes back to the argument we should never balk at drafting 2 or 3 guys and keeping them. We see playoffs teams drafting second rounders and having them on the bench until they are ready. W see other fringe lottery teams making small trades for guys who seem to be filler and two years later they are starters. And finally some teams making trades for better fitting players. 

Id argue if there's one thing this front office has done it's been patient with the young players we've drafted and kept hold of end bench guys who've flashed anything at all. We gave Wes Iwundu 3 years to crack the rotation. Melvin Frazier got 2 years despite never looking like an NBA player. We gave Gary Clark a 2 year deal off the strength of his play in the bubble. We rewarded Khem Birch with a 2 year deal after his initial year was promising. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jordan Bone got a guaranteed deal next summer if he continues to look like a competent NBA bench guard.