Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

Just now, Jay Magic said:

I'm all for it. We should shut down all the vets possible. Some of the tanking from Houston, OKC and the Raptors is absolutely DISGUSTING!!

I’m glad we don’t, and see my post above about this tactic eventually penalizing the teams pick that is egregiously tanking. Right now the only thing we can hope for is Karma

7 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think blatant tanking should directly effect the draft pick instead of pointless fines. More than one warning and your pick is no longer eligible for the lottery. Only way to fix the problem. And agreed on OKC, they’re bastardizing the game

It's a huge issue for me. Spurs are in the running for a play in spot to qualify for the playoffs and they 'rest' 3 players because they'd rather have a late lottery pick. A 25k fine is a nothing. At least karma bit them in the backside and they ended up winning.

Okay, boys and girls, it's almost that time. No excuses for not watching the Magic go head to head against the Rockets. . .NO EXCUSES.  HgcsUT.jpg

The Game Thread Starter has been prepared and posted. The game starts at 7:00 pm.

jmPxaY.png

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I think blatant tanking should directly effect the draft pick instead of pointless fines. More than one warning and your pick is no longer eligible for the lottery. Only way to fix the problem. And agreed on OKC, they’re bastardizing the game

Yeah fining millionaires some chump change is NOT a deterrent. How about move their pick to #30 or just take their 1st round pick instead? If you want to legitimately tank then you trade away your all star and your other 2 best players!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

Yeah fining millionaires some chump change is NOT a deterrent. How about move their pick to #30 or just take their 1st round pick instead? If you want to legitimately tank then you trade away your all star and your other 2 best players!

Right?! Like, we’re even guilty as charged, we were a bit too competitive for managements liking in the 3 games Otto played so we shut his butt down

I wish they would do away with the whole thing and just make everyone's pick random regardless of their record.  That would stop the tanking once and for all.

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I agree here. 

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

20 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I agree here. 

I like the idea in the abstract, but the problem is that "blatant tanking" would be a subjective standard.  I think it could lead to endless arguing.  That's why I'd just like to do away with the whole concept and make the draft completely random.  At that point, everyone starts trying to win.

25 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I like the idea in the abstract, but the problem is that "blatant tanking" would be a subjective standard.  I think it could lead to endless arguing.  That's why I'd just like to do away with the whole concept and make the draft completely random.  At that point, everyone starts trying to win.

Random huh?  Get ready for Boston and LA to win the first pick most the time. The picks are NEVER random. It’s the NBA after all. Don’t ya know that by now?

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Random huh?  Get ready for Boston and LA to win the first pick most the time. The picks are NEVER random. It’s the NBA after all. Don’t ya know that by now?

The best idea would be to have flat draft odds for all NON-playoff teams.  That way the good teams won't ever get top-5/10 picks unless they trade for them, whereas the bad teams basically have no incentive to tank beyond missing the playoffs.

There could be other incentives to try to win; like player bonuses for the teams that finish higher in the non-playoff standings, or salary cap credits for those teams.  Haven't thought that hard about it, but seems like there would be a ton of little things that could be done to reduce the amount of "rest" and phony injuries that crop up this time of year.  Maybe even a losers knockout tournament that would take place during the playoffs whenever there's an empty time-slot.  

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Your idea is to make it an even 1/30 shot for all teams to get the top pick?! Sheesh... 

I think what the league already did with the lottery odds was fine. Under the old system it was a race to the bottom for that 25% shot at a first round pick and a guaranteed top 4 pick. The guaranteed top 4 is still there and I think teams are chasing that more this year because of the idea that this is a 4 player draft at the top. 

Plus there are a couple of franchises that are basically being forced into tanking by prior trades (Houston and Minnesota). 

Under the old system, which Sam Hinkie successfully exploited, if you were the worst team in the league for 4 years you had a near 70% chance of getting the #1 pick at least once. Under the new system that'd be a 42% chance. The incentive to be bad for long periods just isn't the same as it used to be.