Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would be concerned that his style reflects on his coaching, which has primarily been Clifford in the NBA. We have seen a lot of one-on-one/two/three from a number of our players over the last few years; and I am not sure how much is the players, how much was a result of the "revolving door" at the coaching level, and how much blame to place at the current coaching staff's feet. TRoss is a good example of this, as I remember him being a better defender and team-player when he first got here, but now plays a much more offense-only, me-ball type of game. I know part of that has been the abilities (or lack thereof) of the second units that he has been playing with, but I'm just not sure how much of it. I would be lying if I said it isn't a concern, and yet, I'm not sure that another head coaching change would be a positive. Maybe a more offense-oriented assistant would be sufficient? 

+1.  I share the exact same concern.  I’ve always thought Cliff was a good coach but then I see the same dysfunctional stuff from multiple players on offense again and again.  

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

All the coach can do is scheme. He can't make decisions for the players when they're out there and most of the decisions are instinctual. Coaches can point out bad decisions after the fact but how much more besides that can they do? It's up to the player to take that on board and be better. (Obviously he can not play them but oftentimes that isnt a real option for someone like your TRoss example because if you're trying to win and T Ross is basically your only good bench scorer you need him even with all his flaws)

True with TRoss, and also this season with no summer league, shortened training camp, and limited access for summer training made for a tough transition. Throw in the trades, cuts, and short-term contracts due to injury and I'm not sure judging Clifford on this season makes much sense. 

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

+1.  I share the exact same concern.  I’ve always thought Cliff was a good coach but then I see the same dysfunctional stuff from multiple players on offense again and again.  

I'm anxious to see what we have next year, with a full summer of workouts, summer league, training camp, and actual practice time. Also, no more "buddy ball", hopefully a lot less isolations, and more time together for all of our young guys. It's funny, most of our guys I want to see a lot more team play from, the only real exception is Chuma. I think his tendency is to actually defer too much. I think we have only scratched the surface with him, and there is a lot more there waiting to be unlocked. 

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

All the coach can do is scheme. He can't make decisions for the players when they're out there and most of the decisions are instinctual. Coaches can point out bad decisions after the fact but how much more besides that can they do?

Well, that could be true, but the answer at your last answer could easily be: bench them. (Or don't give the green light, in the case of Ross for example)

In Bacon case, he already know who he was, so it's kind of repeated offense.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

So, I prepared and posted a Game Thread for tonight's game against the 76ers, and no one is interested in using it, not even the Mods.

I don't usually post during games, as I'm too busy actually watching the game; but I appreciate the time and effort you always put into them! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I don't usually post during games, as I'm too busy actually watching the game; but I appreciate the time and effort you always put into them! 

Alright, thanks jmmagicfan. It's all good. I appreciate your being up front with me. 

YcZFP8.jpg 

OKC should be stripped of a draft pick.  1-22 since 20-27 and blatantly tanking is so bad for the league!  It might not be the best for us but I am ready for either playoffs, play-in, and everyone else gets equal draft odds.  

• Upvote 1

The ONLY positive to take from the closing of the season is that RJ Hampton might really be special. Everything else is just a big time bummer. Hoping for a happy draft lottery night 

47 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

OKC should be stripped of a draft pick.  1-22 since 20-27 and blatantly tanking is so bad for the league!  It might not be the best for us but I am ready for either playoffs, play-in, and everyone else gets equal draft odds.  

Have you actually looked at their roster - just wow! I don't recognize more that 3-4 names, and I don't think any of the names I recognize are currently "healthy". 

6 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Well, that could be true, but the answer at your last answer could easily be: bench them. (Or don't give the green light, in the case of Ross for example)

In Bacon case, he already know who he was, so it's kind of repeated offense.

The comment you quoted addressed the 'bench them' point. (You just left it out)

I'm almost certain Bacon wouldn't be playing nearly as much if this season had been healthy and we were still trying to win so I'm not sure it can be called a 'repeated offense'.

This is going to get interesting. The Clippers just intentionally tanked a loss against the Rockets because they're trying to avoid the Lakers. They'll also need to lose their last game to do that which is against... OKC. Can they out tank the tanking juggernaut? 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is going to get interesting. The Clippers just intentionally tanked a loss against the Rockets because they're trying to avoid the Lakers. They'll also need to lose their last game to do that which is against... OKC. Can they out tank the tanking juggernaut? 

Actually this might not be true now I'm looking at scenarios...