Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Oh Noooooo, the billionaire might hit the luxury tax. Smdh 

I don’t care if they go into the luxury tax or not, but they seem to be going out of their way to avoid it the last few years. Being farther away gives us more options.

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I don’t care if they go into the luxury tax or not, but they seem to be going out of their way to avoid it the last few years. Being farther away gives us more options.

I guess if we didn't make the playoffs in the bubble last year they would have torn it down over the summer. Looks like they were asked to keep it together as long as it "sort of worked" I really hope the leash from ownership is longer this time

8 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Oh Noooooo, the billionaire might hit the luxury tax. Smdh 

The tax gets more expensive the more years you stay in it. It makes absolutely zero sense for any team with no chance of even making the playoffs to go into the tax. You go into the tax to keep superstars or add pieces to push for a deep playoff run. You don't go into the tax with a roster that's currently the worst in the league. 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The tax gets more expensive the more years you stay in it. It makes absolutely zero sense for any team with no chance of even making the playoffs to go into the tax. You go into the tax to keep superstars or add pieces to push for a deep playoff run. You don't go into the tax with a roster that's currently the worst in the league. 

Exactly, it was about time, it wasn't even worth being around the limit as we were, with the kind of team we had. Limiting too much our options of adding pieces and making moves. Hope they will not sign other bad long term contracts this offseason.

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

That wasn’t my point at all. I don’t give a dam if the Devos family has to got into the luxury tax. Put a competitive team on the dam court!!! Whatever the cost!

8 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

That wasn’t my point at all. I don’t give a dam if the Devos family has to got into the luxury tax. Put a competitive team on the dam court!!! Whatever the cost!

I get what you’re trying to say and believe me I understand the frustration, but we haven’t had players worth going in to the tax for since the Dwight era. We’re an afterthought small market team who doesn’t attract star free agents, had terrible lotto luck, injury luck, and managerial decision making, and been horrendous at player development. I’m hopeful with this rebuild because it’s new and finally involved hitting a long overdue self destruct button, but I wouldn’t call myself optimistic.

WCJ is one of Zach Lowe's ten things this week:

"Few young players have developed as unevenly as Carter did over parts of three seasons with the Chicago Bulls. Injuries and organizational chaos undid any progress. As one skill rose, another would inexplicably vanish. He played for three head coaches who asked wildly different things from him.

But all along, he had the ingredients of a serviceable two-way starting center, and he looks reinvigorated with the Orlando Magic. Carter is averaging almost 14.5 points on 58% shooting -- up from 11 points and 51% with the Bulls -- but his disposition matters more than the numbers.

Orlando Carter is aggressive. He's hoisting pick-and-pop jumpers when he should, and stepping into 3s with confidence. He has vowed to do that before, and it has rarely stuck. Perhaps it will now -- in a new place, under a new coach in Steve Clifford, and with no real stakes.

He's hunting handoff opportunities, setting two, three, four rapid-fire screens within the same possession. Carter flashed some post-up brutality in Chicago, and has tapped into that more with the Magic. He's beasting switches, and even hammered a coast-to-coast dunk against the Hawks this week.

Can this sustain? Skeptics in Chicago might say no. But consider this: Carter turned 22 last week."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

WCJ is one of Zach Lowe's ten things this week:

"Few young players have developed as unevenly as Carter did over parts of three seasons with the Chicago Bulls. Injuries and organizational chaos undid any progress. As one skill rose, another would inexplicably vanish. He played for three head coaches who asked wildly different things from him.

But all along, he had the ingredients of a serviceable two-way starting center, and he looks reinvigorated with the Orlando Magic. Carter is averaging almost 14.5 points on 58% shooting -- up from 11 points and 51% with the Bulls -- but his disposition matters more than the numbers.

Orlando Carter is aggressive. He's hoisting pick-and-pop jumpers when he should, and stepping into 3s with confidence. He has vowed to do that before, and it has rarely stuck. Perhaps it will now -- in a new place, under a new coach in Steve Clifford, and with no real stakes.

He's hunting handoff opportunities, setting two, three, four rapid-fire screens within the same possession. Carter flashed some post-up brutality in Chicago, and has tapped into that more with the Magic. He's beasting switches, and even hammered a coast-to-coast dunk against the Hawks this week.

Can this sustain? Skeptics in Chicago might say no. But consider this: Carter turned 22 last week."

The Vooch trade could really go down in Orlando Magic history as the time the tide really turned back in our favor. Wendell still has sky high potential. I’m curious what it’s going to take to keep him on his next contract after his rookie deal is up next season.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/details-on-jonathan-isaacs-contract/

Stumbled upon this this morning. I didn’t realize how much CYA we had built in to JI’s contract. $2.6 million of it is an incentive he only receives if he plays at least 70 games. Also an exhibit 3 that protects some to all of his salary based on how his knee holds up. 

4 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/details-on-jonathan-isaacs-contract/

Stumbled upon this this morning. I didn’t realize how much CYA we had built in to JI’s contract. $2.6 million of it is an incentive he only receives if he plays at least 70 games. Also an exhibit 3 that protects some to all of his salary based on how his knee holds up. 

That's great for the Magic's budget , lets hope it doesn't matter. So many injuries the last two years for every team. I feel confident he will come back healthy. 

Anyhow, i'm very impressed by the Knicks win streak, 9 games. I finally got to watch them a bit today. Very good defense, but not what i expected. The game today they just didn't miss much. They had a bunch of open shots though. Fun fact i checked the box-score after the game. Elfrid was the only Knick with with a negative plus/minus and he played less minutes then Rose and Quickly. Birch started on Toronto and he was the only Raptor with a positive plus minus. So many ex-Magic players to watch.

We had such a weird collection of talent the last 8 years. If only Gordon had taken that next step like Randle. And we weren't so inconsistent at the 3 ball. Have to fix that on our future team.