Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

5 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

Portland were my no1 team to trade with to get him, he was the one asset I wanted the most but the Chicago deal was good value so I can't really complain too much and Portland wouldn't have been able to give much in terms of picks compared to Chicago. As far as PG's go, I'm not high on Fultz, don't think he will ever sort out his shot form, hope I'm wrong on that though.

For those saying it wasn't great value for Vooch, he's had little value around the league for years. If he had value we probably would have traded him a few seasons back. That to me shows we weren't being offered much. Two get 2 1st round picks (this years has a high chance of being a lottery pick) and a former lottery pick in WCJ is solid imo.

I agree with all those points.

Here is the thing I have observed about WCJ.

1. When he joined the team back in March, he was amazing coming off the bench.

2. I know he needs more playing time to get use to his new position (starting), new guys, and getting use to a new system. But after a few games, I believe he helped the team more by coming off the bench with the second unit.

It's probably not possible now since Birch has been waived.

On some teams, the second unit consists of players who can step into a game and don't miss a beat. 

There are teams who at times benefited from their second unit keeping a game close, and in some cases they should have been credited for winning a game.

Just an observation. 

VPSlYB.png

38 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Hootie, what do you mean by "WCJ wore out the guys in Chicago but he looks decent in Orlando.

Question: Was he a starter in Chi Town or did he come off the bench with the second unit?

I simply don't know enough about him. Like I said. He is a traditional center. 270 pounds...moves well. Not a stretch 5, possibly a 20-10 guy who pissed off his previous franchise. I need to see more.

6 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Nah the time for that was in January. Why didn't the Magic make a move for George Hill the minute Fultz went down? Why didn't we try to send a vet to Portland when they lost CJ that month? Who stopped them from dropping Clark or trading Birch back in January to any of the big man starved teams to get a point guard or a shooter. They were out there, trust me. The time to win has passed, now is the time to lose.

Let's stop this tanking debate. I hope we have a 50+ win team next year even if we are starting a rookie. We have twenty games left and now is the time to lose. Look at Presti over in Oklahoma. He isn't trying to win and is rolling out guys he signed off the street this month. Shai and Horford aren't playing and whenever one of their rookies has a big night they are benched for "rest" the next night. Anyone calls him out and he will be crying the small market blues about no free agents want to play there. This is our reality, we traded away 3 starters and lost two  more to injury. I'm just gonna say it, so forgive me. Anyone on any Magic forum who is hoping for wins is an idiot. I mean yeah let's all talk about any win and any great night by Chuma or Cole. Let's all feel good when or if we take one from the Nets, by accident. But if your actually rooting for wins this last 20 games your not seeing what's going on in the NBA. 

Now personally i think we need more luck then position. They changed the lottery so much it's more about luck, but hey if we have a few more ping pong balls if we finish lower i'm taking those odds!!!!!

TL;DR if you really, really are rooting for wins this season your not seeing things clearly.

I'm happy to be an idiot, then.  Why would we demoralize our players and coaches, and set the stage poorly for next season by losing a bunch of games, when it hardly even matters given the way the lottery is structured now?  It doesn't make any sense at all to me.  I'd much rather this team get into the habit of scratching and clawing for every possible win. 

I'm not a fan of what Presti is doing.  You dig a huge hole for yourself when you create a terrible team.  You had better have very good luck in the draft, which is more unlikely now than ever given the way the lottery is structured.  If you don't hit the superstar in the draft you're setting yourself up for potentially many years of futility.  Just look at us.  I'd much prefer to develop our team by getting everything we can out of what we have now, and of course adding more as options arise in the future.  I do not want to count on a draft pick to magically reverse the team's direction.

6 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Quoting because soul bro knows his ****. We need to play Cole the most, as we have to figure out who the heck is going to be the point guard on this team until Fultz is healthy. 

McW has no real point guard skills, it's almost painful to watch. Ditto Rj Hampton, although  i haven't seen him enough to be sure. 

I agree with you about MCW. I really like RJ.

When MCW dribbles hard into the paint, he's out of control, and usually misses a layup or turns the ball over. RJ has the same playing style, but at least he makes most of his layups.

13 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I'm happy to be an idiot, then.  Why would we demoralize our players and coaches, and set the stage poorly for next season by losing a bunch of games, when it hardly even matters given the way the lottery is structured now?  It doesn't make any sense at all to me.  I'd much rather this team get into the habit of scratching and clawing for every possible win. 

I'm not a fan of what Presti is doing.  You dig a huge hole for yourself when you create a terrible team.  You had better have very good luck in the draft, which is more unlikely now more than ever given the way the lottery is structured.  If you don't hit the superstar in the draft you're setting yourself up for potentially many years of futility.  Just look at us.  I'd much prefer to develop our team by getting everything we can out of them, and of course adding more as options arise in the future.  I do not want to count on a draft pick to magically reverse the team's direction.

It's not luck. Look at Detroit. They know they have drafted the best they could, they need a star and still brought in Grant on a reasonable deal. All three of the guys they drafted have upside. They let Griffin go at an unbearable cost to both play for the future and get a better draft pick. How about the Thunder? Losing now but losing now but will absolutely go out and get whatever it takes to win, once they tank this year. Lightyears ahead.

I have prepared and posted the Game Thread Starter for tonight's game against the Bucks. . .if interested. The game starts at 7:00 p.m.

• The Bucks injuries include: Giannis (out), Jru Holiday (day-to-day), Khris Middleton (day-to-day), and Broke Foot-Brook Lopez (day-to-day)
  • The Magic's injuries include: Mo Bamba (day-to-day)

I know day-to-day could mean the player might play.

**THIS GAME IS HUGE**

Source: ESPN

mil.png&h=100&w=100Milwaukee Bucks
NAME, POS STATUS DATE
Giannis Antetokounmpo, PF Out
Apr 10
Donte DiVincenzo, SG Day-To-Day
Apr 10
Jrue Holiday, PG Day-To-Day
Apr 10
Brook Lopez, C Day-To-Day
Apr 10
Khris Middleton, SF Day-To-Day
Apr 10

orl.png&h=100&w=100Orlando Magic
NAME, POS STATUS DATE
Otto Porter Jr., SF Out
Apr 10
Karim Mane, SG Out
Apr 10
Chuma Okeke, PF Day-To-Day
Apr 10
Mo Bamba, C Day-To-Day
Apr 10
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

It's not luck. Look at Detroit. They know they have drafted the best they could, they need a star and still brought in Grant on a reasonable deal. All three of the guys they drafted have upside. They let Griffin go at an unbearable cost to both play for the future and get a better draft pick. How about the Thunder? Losing now but losing now but will absolutely go out and get whatever it takes to win, once they tank this year. Lightyears ahead.

What's the point of tanking if not to get the best pick in the lottery?  Even if you have the very worst record, your chance of not getting the #1 pick is about 90%.

We've seen that tanking has a price.  It's not nearly as easy as you imply to just turn it off after a year.

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

What's the point of tanking if not to get the best pick in the lottery?  Even if you have the very worst record, your chance of not getting the #1 pick is about 90%.

We've seen that tanking has a price.  It's not nearly as easy as you imply to just turn it off after a year.

We need to finish this season in the bottom 3 to have the best chance at picking number 1.. 2..3.. Ideally number 1 and take Cade. Aslong as we play the right way and cliff holds them all accountable for the final 20 games thats all that matters things will go how they go but i sure wish we finish with the absolute best odds possible. At the end of the day we are in a much better position now then we was b4 the deadline. But that's my opinion 

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Your projecting absurdities. The organization's that are tanking this season made a choice or were not given a choice. Stop arguing for the sake of being divisive. The Magic, our team...our organization gain nothing this 20 games from winning. Now, if one of our players blossoms into a superstar....so be it. Also, stop being an ass.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Your projecting absurdities. The organization's that are tanking this season made a choice or were not given a choice. Stop arguing for the sake of being divisive. The Magic, our team...our organization gain nothing this 20 games from winning. Now, if one of our players blossoms into a superstar....so be it. Also, stop being an ass.

H249, please don’t name call. There’s no need for that here. Thanks 

• Upvote 1