Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

8 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I completely agree with you.  I don’t see this as a replay of 10 years ago at all.  And I like a lot of the recent moves.  Agree with Crisby on that.   But I’m hypersensitive to suggestions to “embrace” tanking.  In my view, that approach led us to 10 years of futility.  Let’s maximize what we have now and develop them properly by trying our hardest to play well and win every single game.  If that involves playing some veterans I’m all in favor of whatever our best combinations are. 

Nah the time for that was in January. Why didn't the Magic make a move for George Hill the minute Fultz went down? Why didn't we try to send a vet to Portland when they lost CJ that month? Who stopped them from dropping Clark or trading Birch back in January to any of the big man starved teams to get a point guard or a shooter. They were out there, trust me. The time to win has passed, now is the time to lose.

Let's stop this tanking debate. I hope we have a 50+ win team next year even if we are starting a rookie. We have twenty games left and now is the time to lose. Look at Presti over in Oklahoma. He isn't trying to win and is rolling out guys he signed off the street this month. Shai and Horford aren't playing and whenever one of their rookies has a big night they are benched for "rest" the next night. Anyone calls him out and he will be crying the small market blues about no free agents want to play there. This is our reality, we traded away 3 starters and lost two  more to injury. I'm just gonna say it, so forgive me. Anyone on any Magic forum who is hoping for wins is an idiot. I mean yeah let's all talk about any win and any great night by Chuma or Cole. Let's all feel good when or if we take one from the Nets, by accident. But if your actually rooting for wins this last 20 games your not seeing what's going on in the NBA. 

Now personally i think we need more luck then position. They changed the lottery so much it's more about luck, but hey if we have a few more ping pong balls if we finish lower i'm taking those odds!!!!!

TL;DR if you really, really are rooting for wins this season your not seeing things clearly.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

To be honest, without competent point guard play, it’ll be hard to develop anyone. I’m hoping Cole gets a shot over the remaining games to be that guy, as we know MCW’s limitations.

Quoting because soul bro knows his ****. We need to play Cole the most, as we have to figure out who the heck is going to be the point guard on this team until Fultz is healthy. 

McW has no real point guard skills, it's almost painful to watch. Ditto Rj Hampton, although  i haven't seen him enough to be sure. 

12 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

They've traded away a bunch of players that they inherited that hadn't produced any winning basketball the entire time they were here. Aquired numerous young players, assets and picks for those players. They have a huge TPE to absorb a bad contract for more assets or just to trade for a good player and have cap flexibility after being near the tax line the past few years. They've now waived a below average limited center that was taking away minutes from a young lottery pick and are using their G league team to look at additional young players. So yes, they have made a lot of good moves since trade deadline day.

I was honestly in disagreement with your "brilliant" definition too, in the sense that is true that they've inherited that team, but they also waited for a LONG LONG time (of evaluation) to finally took a decision and choose a path.

Also, the return in all trades could be considered fairly good, but not that great. I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this forum, and Magic fans in general, were expecting a lot more for a two times All-Star that was having a great season, for example.

Finally, all those moves, before to be considered brilliant, need a lot more time to settle out, and see how good really were. A few weeks it's clearly not enough, and as I've already wrote, there's always more excitement for new faces, that tends to decreas with time.

But I've really enjoyed all the discussion after this first misunderstanding with JJZFL. A lot of great points. :)

10 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I was honestly in disagreement with your "brilliant" definition too, in the sense that is true that they've inherited that team, but they also waited for a LONG LONG time (of evaluation) to finally took a decision and choose a path.

Also, the return in all trades could be considered fairly good, but not that great. I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this forum, and Magic fans in general, were expecting a lot more for a two times All-Star that was having a great season, for example.

Finally, all those moves, before to be considered brilliant, need a lot more time to settle out, and see how good really were. A few weeks it's clearly not enough, and as I've already wrote, there's always more excitement for new faces, that tends to decreas with time.

But I've really enjoyed all the discussion after this first misunderstanding with JJZFL. A lot of great points. :)

Hire the guys on this forum who said to trade for Gary Trent jr.  That guy is killing it for Toronto.

Seriously the return for Vucevic was fine, but if none of the assets pan out that's the wash. It's all up to how it goes down. Also it seems that management wanted to trade away these guys sooner, the injuries and Vucevic ascending to All-star status changed the plan. Still is on them for not pulling the trigger last spring. As someone pointed out, we were 20-30 last year when the league shut down. Not good, and the same thing will  happen again if we don't hit in the lottery and do not get a decent point guard to handle things till Fultz comes back or if he never lives up to his potential. 

1 minute ago, hootie249 said:

Hire the guys on this forum who said to trade for Gary Trent jr.  That guy is killing it for Toronto.

Seriously the return for Vucevic was fine, but if none of the assets pan out that's the wash. It's all up to how it goes down. Also it seems that management wanted to trade away these guys sooner, the injuries and Vucevic ascending to All-star status changed the plan. Still is on them for not pulling the trigger last spring. As someone pointed out, we were 20-30 last year when the league shut down. Not good, and the same thing will  happen again if we don't hit in the lottery and do not get a decent point guard to handle things till Fultz comes back or if he never lives up to his potential. 

Portland were my no1 team to trade with to get him, he was the one asset I wanted the most but the Chicago deal was good value so I can't really complain too much and Portland wouldn't have been able to give much in terms of picks compared to Chicago. As far as PG's go, I'm not high on Fultz, don't think he will ever sort out his shot form, hope I'm wrong on that though.

For those saying it wasn't great value for Vooch, he's had little value around the league for years. If he had value we probably would have traded him a few seasons back. That to me shows we weren't being offered much. Two get 2 1st round picks (this years has a high chance of being a lottery pick) and a former lottery pick in WCJ is solid imo.

• Upvote 1

IMO WCJ could end up being the steal of our trades. I wanted him instead of Bamba if we didn't reach for SGA. He seems to have a lot more BBall IQ than Bamba ever will. I can see him being Vuc light but with much better "D."

• Upvote 1

I think many of us ripped the trade for Dwight Howard to the Lakers, and we all know how that turned out. Give it time and let’s see how this develops.

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Nah the time for that was in January. Why didn't the Magic make a move for George Hill the minute Fultz went down? Why didn't we try to send a vet to Portland when they lost CJ that month? Who stopped them from dropping Clark or trading Birch back in January to any of the big man starved teams to get a point guard or a shooter. They were out there, trust me. The time to win has passed, now is the time to lose.

Let's stop this tanking debate. I hope we have a 50+ win team next year even if we are starting a rookie. We have twenty games left and now is the time to lose. Look at Presti over in Oklahoma. He isn't trying to win and is rolling out guys he signed off the street this month. Shai and Horford aren't playing and whenever one of their rookies has a big night they are benched for "rest" the next night. Anyone calls him out and he will be crying the small market blues about no free agents want to play there. This is our reality, we traded away 3 starters and lost two  more to injury. I'm just gonna say it, so forgive me. Anyone on any Magic forum who is hoping for wins is an idiot. I mean yeah let's all talk about any win and any great night by Chuma or Cole. Let's all feel good when or if we take one from the Nets, by accident. But if your actually rooting for wins this last 20 games your not seeing what's going on in the NBA. 

Now personally i think we need more luck then position. They changed the lottery so much it's more about luck, but hey if we have a few more ping pong balls if we finish lower i'm taking those odds!!!!!

TL;DR if you really, really are rooting for wins this season your not seeing things clearly.

Love this. Spot on

1 hour ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

IMO WCJ could end up being the steal of our trades. I wanted him instead of Bamba if we didn't reach for SGA. He seems to have a lot more BBall IQ than Bamba ever will. I can see him being Vuc light but with much better "D."

Yup give me the center who plays d and has decent size and athleticism. Now i'm not sure it's WCJ because he wore out the guys in Chicago but he looks decent in Orlando. 

He has the bulk, and seems to move well. His shooting numbers are trending up, but you know what, i want a defensive center. Give me a guy who can average 14 points and 10 rebounds for 10 million a year. A guy who plays decent defense every night and doesn't cost much. Remember how we all thought Vucevic was worth the money back when he made 12 million and he sucked on defense. He's come a long way since those days. I really want Bamba to get it but at this point it's gonna be hard to pay him anything more then the minimum until he breaks out. A guy like WCJ is much more then likely to be worth extending as long as it's cheap. 

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Yup give me the center who plays d and has decent size and athleticism. Now i'm not sure it's WCJ because he wore out the guys in Chicago but he looks decent in Orlando. 

He has the bulk, and seems to move well. His shooting numbers are trending up, but you know what, i want a defensive center. Give me a guy who can average 14 points and 10 rebounds for 10 million a year. A guy who plays decent defense every night and doesn't cost much. Remember how we all thought Vucevic was worth the money back when he made 12 million and he sucked on defense. He's come a long way since those days. I really want Bamba to get it but at this point it's gonna be hard to pay him anything more then the minimum until he breaks out. A guy like WCJ is much more then likely to be worth extending as long as it's cheap. 

Hootie, what do you mean by "WCJ wore out the guys in Chicago but he looks decent in Orlando.

Question: Was he a starter in Chi Town or did he come off the bench with the second unit?

10 minutes ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Hootie, what do you mean by "WCJ wore out the guys in Chicago but he looks decent in Orlando.

Question: Was he a starter in Chi Town or did he come off the bench with the second unit?

He started every game in his first 2 seasons with the Bulls, started 25 of 32 with them this year. The problem moreso is that he’s been hurt a lot, missed a bunch of time in Chicago. Played in 126 games out of 205, started 116 of those. This includes his first 3 games in Orlando coming off the bench