Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

15 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m not sure what Bacon adds.

It’s only the players in the locker room who can possibly know for sure, but Dwayne Bacon must be one hell of a good guy away from the hardwood. Why such a conclusion? Well, put simply: the dude doesn’t pass the basketball. 

The single-mindedness for scoring that the two-guard routinely demonstrates - while averaging nearly as many field goal attempts per game (9.7) as points (10.7) - is something frequently joked about, at times even welcomed by a Magic team that can struggle to put up points. A failure to fire can be just as damaging to an offense as a forced shot attempt, and at least Bacon was ensuring the side stood a chance of ticking the scoreboard over with his aggressive offensive play. That’s a good thing, right?

Well, the recent trade deadline implosion has starkly emphasized just how ball-hungry Bacon is as a basketball black hole. In the first game of the realigned rebuild he actually established a career high for assists with 6 in the contest, a result of the fact that he spent long stretches of the game playing as the point guard for a woefully undermanned Orlando side. In the five games since, however? Just 7 assists total for an average of 2.2 per game, a mind-bogglingly low number for a guy that uses 22.4% of all offensive possessions he’s on the court for. 

Please don’t think that this is a function of Bacon’s teammates missing shots and inadvertently keeping him off the boxscore. He ranks just eighth on the team for passes per contest (21.8) despite playing the third-most minutes (31.4), an observation supported by the meager 3.8 potential assists he generates each night. This number also places him eighth on the team, behind every non-center player racking up meaningful minutes. Finally, there’s also his assist percentage to consider: 10.5% across his last six games, good for only 10th on the Magic in that time. This is, phenomenally, a significant increase over his season mark of 7.4%. Scarily, what we’re currently seeing is Dwayne Bacon doing his best John Stockton impersonation. 

To his credit, Bacon has recently maintained an excellent assist-to-turnover rate of 3.25; at least he’s getting to the end of possessions in his one limited manner. Still, the numbers verify the eye test: on any given possession this is a guy who has little interest in making the extra pass and every intention of firing away. 

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2021/4/6/22369372/orlando-magic-chuma-okeke-wendell-carter-jr-rj-hampton

I think this sums up Bacon's contributions pretty well

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I agree.  And it’s a shame.  Because I think he has enough game to create opportunities for his teammates and actually make everyone better if only he wasn’t so focused on shooting every time he touches the ball.  

Love that Bacon write up too. I have not watched every game by any means but every minute of Dwayne Bacon I have seen... just head down and bulldozing into a shot attempt to varying degrees of success.

12 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

This Jersey is ridiculously nice!!

Im not feelin it yet the giant logo and off centered front number looks bad. The sides do seem nice, i'd love to see it in action on the court that might make the difference.

12 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Im not feelin it yet the giant logo and off centered front number looks bad. The sides do seem nice, i'd love to see it in action on the court that might make the difference.

Each to their own of course. Lets see how it looks tonight. I think it will lokk even better 

3 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Each to their own of course. Lets see how it looks tonight. I think it will lokk even better 

Yeah at the moment not feeling it. The back looked ok, i am diggin the sides, but lets see how it looks on court.

39 minutes ago, crisby pancakes said:

Looks like we are adding Donta Hall from the G league on a ten day contract to cover PF.

Think he's more of a C to be honest. Makes sense though since we only have 2 bigs now and an injury to either would leave us thin up front. Worth a shot for a guy who's not even 24 yet and has a little NBA experience in his past. 

He played against us for the Nets in the bubble and had 10 points, 9 rebs and 2 blocks.