Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

9 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

If Michael Carter-Williams was still trying to be a point guard, he wouldn’t be in the nba anymore. He’s only playing point for us out of necessity, he’s much more of a 2/3. It’s how he remade himself in to a player you actually want on your team.

I agree but listen to Cliffs post game comments.  He was specifically talking about the point guard play.  

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I agree but listen to Cliffs post game comments.  He was specifically talking about the point guard play.  

It's because we don't have any, and he is a real NBA level coach. This goes all the way back to Skiles. These guys do get paid to do a job. 

Just had a look at the players we got via trading and then at the draft and it is strange why we picked RJ Hampton and Wendall Carter Jr when we could have picked them instead of who we actually picked. Mo Bamba when 1 before Wendall and RJ went at 24. Are we not going to have an over abundance of guards now? First we stockpiled Forwards and now we are onto the guards, I think we should have looked at some wings. 

4 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Fournier 0-10 and scoreless in his Boston debut... yikes 

Vuc and AG will do well for their new teams. Fournier we'll have to see. He may be a different player without "buddy ball."

By my count we have an open roster spot. Little surprised we haven't used it to bring anybody in. I wonder if we're waiting for all the buyout stuff to shake out first to see if any guys we like get waived. 

So just got round to watching the pre game and post game Clippers pressers for Clifford.

We will definitely pick up more wins. Said Ross is used to coming off the bench and Harris is back in 10-14 days (that makes it pretty clear who will be starting out the 2 of them in my mind.) Harris is exactly the type of player that Clifford loves said he picked everything up inside 45 minutes in practice so fully expect him to be starting (even talked about how Harris was helping during the last quarter of the Clippers game despite not being active.)

With the likelihood of ending up with a SG in the draft as well, I don't see any way they pick up Bacon's option and they probably look at trading Ross in the summer if we do indeed pick up a guard in the draft.

Said Cole also likely back 2nd game after this road trip. He was starting before the injury so it will be interesting to see if he goes back into the starting lineup or if Clifford keeps MCW there for the time being.

This should hopefully mean that WCJ starts at the 5 and we just see Birch coming off the bench as PF behind Okeke.

Team probably looks like the following after the road trip.

Cole - MCW  - Randle - Mane

Harris - Ross - RJ

Ennis - Porter - Bacon

Okeke - Birch - Porter

WCJ - Bamba - Birch

They are going to steal wins.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:07 PM, s1n1st3r12 said:

Just had a look at the players we got via trading and then at the draft and it is strange why we picked RJ Hampton and Wendall Carter Jr when we could have picked them instead of who we actually picked. Mo Bamba when 1 before Wendall and RJ went at 24. Are we not going to have an over abundance of guards now? First we stockpiled Forwards and now we are onto the guards, I think we should have looked at some wings. 

Getting a legit 6-7 to 6-8 player who moves like a guard but weighs 210 to 220 is the hardest thing to get in the league. Now tons of guys that size are drafted. It's just most can't dribble well enough or handle the ball well enough and simply become big guys who play defense and catch and shoot. Hence the 3 and D label.  So we have big guards like Evan and T-Ross and then legit forwards like Tatum or Ingram. And of course superstars like Lebron,Kawhi and George. So when you say wings, you really mean stars. Guards can be wings, Aaron Gordon can be a wing. Guys over 6 foot 7 who can dribble,pass,shoot and score are gold. Other wise they are just another combo forward. This is why Cade is the big prize in the draft. He is a legit 6 foot 8 at 19 years old and plays point guard. Meaning he is a forward who can pass, dribble and score. He is more likely to become a point forward then say LaMelo, who is destined to be a very tall point guard his whole career.

Edit. I get more and more excited with RJ and Wendall each game. Nothing wrong with Weltham  getting players he passed on if they are good. Check out Sadiq Bey in Detroit. Probably was on our radar in the draft but we needed a point guard.  He was a great shooter on Villanova but not looked at as a "star" So he slid to 19. He was a bit older but is shooting 40% from 3 and 90% at the line playing almost 30 minutes a game. AS A ROOKIE!!!!

If we just miss out on some obvious stars with either pick we better get some real offensive talent. It's in every draft.