Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

Anyone taking those comments seriously needs to get a grip. It was nothing more than a PR exercise where he lied constantly. They're not going to say in an interview that the team needs a load of work and that they're tanking to obtain a top 5 lottery pick . . . . 

If he comes out and says the team is bad and they're looking at getting rid of players then that instantly loses the FO any leverage in trades. There was nothing relevant said in that interview.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I was talking about the draft pick that led to Herro. But let those rose colored vooch glasses blind you. Hahahahaha 

I... Don't even know what this means. My post didn't even mention Vuc. 

1 minute ago, crisby pancakes said:

Anyone taking those comments seriously needs to get a grip. It was nothing more than a PR exercise where he lied constantly. They're not going to say in an interview that the team needs a load of work and that they're tanking to obtain a top 5 lottery pick . . . . 

If he comes out and says the team is bad and they're looking at getting rid of players then that instantly loses the FO any leverage in trades. There was nothing relevant said in that interview.

Has Martins EVER said anything relevant???

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

What do you expect they come out and say "nah we're just trading everyone for anything we can get our hands on" that's a great negotiating tactic. 

They've also got to sell tickets for the rest of the year and you don't do that by outwardly saying "we're not even trying to win".

They didn’t have to say anything.  It doesn’t look good for them to come off as being detached from reality.  

13 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Didn’t you state earlier that vooch not be traded and that Herro was not good enough in a trade for him?

I don't think so? If I did it must have been a while ago or I've got a dreadful memory.

For what it's worth I actually wouldn't trade Vuc for just Herro but that's because I don't believe Tyler Herro is an All Star calibre prospect. 

I agree on Herro, interesting player, but a system player with an high price after last playoffs... exactly the kind of trade to avoid. Remember when we signed Byombo to that contract after he had made a great playoff run? Different kind of players obviously, but didn't end well for us.

About the Gordon rumors... if all we make at the end of the deadline is trading him, without giving him a fair shot to grow in the right environment/style, and we get back an average/bad return for him... I would be very very disappointed. Even more that I'm already in those last moths. And yes, Martins has to say good PR things, fully understand it, but the problem is still that we seem really convinced that this team is good enough... for whatever... when it's really not.

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don't think so? If I did it must have been a while ago or I've got a dreadful memory.

For what it's worth I actually wouldn't trade Vuc for just Herro but that's because I don't believe Tyler Herro is an All Star calibre prospect. 

Yeah I feel the same he is good but not someone we can build our franchise around

There's some interesting double standards playing out in the media with the Magic at the moment. Listening to a podcast with Sam Vecinie and Danny Leroux here's what was said about Detroit:

"I don't know if you should trade Jerami Grant because if you get Cade this year you could be good really quick" 

Here's what was said about the Magic (heavily paraphrasing a conversation where they bashed the Magic):

"They should just trade everyone and blow it up"

At the moment Detroit has a 1.5% greater chance at Cade than us. 

I think an interesting thing that's playing out with this front office is it's very clear we leak absolutely nothing. No news leaks out of our front office, if you hear something about us it's from other front offices or agents. But what that means is that the front office can't use leaks and contacts to control the narrative about how they're building the team. Nobody is going to bat for this organisation in the media they're all piling on the "what are they doing?" Side because none of them have reason to not.

Regardless of your opinion of Jeff Weltman as a basketball executive (I still think he has an incomplete grade but I know many people on this board disagree) I think it's incredibly brave and principled to not even attempt to control the narrative in the media and to stick to his guns on his team building philosophy regardless of what everyone is saying. It might fail, and if it does he'll be out of a job, but it takes stones to look at at least a section of your own fan base, numerous national media members, and in a lot of cases your peers (anonymous executives cited in articles etc) and say "No, I'm right. This will work."

• Upvote 1

Also I didn't see it discussed on here but the Lakeland HC Stan Heath was G League Coach of the Year and G League coaches of the year generally have good track records of moving on to better things. Wouldn't surprise me if he's on the Magic staff full time next season at least. 

With the national media, I think they are saying what a lot of us fans are seeing: This roster has a low ceiling in the short term and its veteran core has been together for a while. Therefore, it’s probably time to break up the veteran core (e.g. Fournier, Ross, Gordon and Vooch) while you can get value for these guys.

Edit: CTMagicUK, I hear you on the double standard about DET. I personally think they won’t be competitive for years.

• Upvote 1