Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

We really missed out on Kevin Porter Jr. another potential stud just needing the right opportunity and some playing time. Would much rather have him playing for us right now than Randle, Bacon, and Clark.

I'd encourage people to listen to the latest Lowe Post podcast with Kirk Goldsberry. It's not about the Magic it's about being a big market team Vs being a small market team and the talk they have around San Antonio (Goldsberry used to work for the Spurs) I think a lot of that connected with me on our scenario and how our front office are going about things (for example San Antonio also don't make outbound calls and haven't made a midseason trade in years). It's far too long and not really 100% relevant to us for me to paraphrase but worth a listen if you've got the time. 

EDIT: they've actually just started talking about the Magic.

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd encourage people to listen to the latest Lowe Post podcast with Kirk Goldsberry. It's not about the Magic it's about being a big market team Vs being a small market team and the talk they have around San Antonio (Goldsberry used to work for the Spurs) I think a lot of that connected with me on our scenario and how our front office are going about things (for example San Antonio also don't make outbound calls and haven't made a midseason trade in years). It's far too long and not really 100% relevant to us for me to paraphrase but worth a listen if you've got the time. 

EDIT: they've actually just started talking about the Magic.

Ok here's what they say about the Magic:

Lowe thinks it's not unreasonable to just get a high pick this year because of the injuries, keep everybody and come back and be good next year with a high draft pick. He says if he had to guess we'll trade Fournier, keep Ross, keep Vuc who he says is outstanding. And he says he's 51/49 that we trade AG but he doesn't know at all. He says he thinks it's accurate that the Timberwolves really like AG.

He also mentions in passing that Chuma Okeke is pretty good and Aminu is probably untradable at the moment. 

8 hours ago, New Guy said:

He’s a massive headcase. But he’s gonna be special if he doesn’t go off the deep end 

Sure but we also have the locker room to handle that. The kid has the talent he just needs the structure and support around him to help him succeed. We should have definitely taken a flier on him considering our situation but we have a FO who is content with this team which is absolutely absurd. This would have been a low risk high reward type of move. Kinda like the Fultz deal that just fell into our lap. 

So Lowe says keep everyone and get a high draft pick and be good next year.  I have heard this from a couple of people but what proof is there we would be good next year?  We are not really keeping everyone because we are losing Fournier.  I am not a big Fournier fan but for an already offensively challenged team he is one of the few players who can consistently put the ball in the basket.  I don't understand the thought process of adding a top pick who will be 19 or 20,  and the rest of the young core under 25.  Why would we keep Vooch and Ross around when they are going to be 31 next year.  If they were 26 or 27 It would make more sense with the timeline of the rest of the roster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

(for example San Antonio also don't make outbound calls and haven't made a midseason trade in years).

San Antonio has also a couple of things or more we don't really have...

Just now, Luke_FfS said:

San Antonio has also a couple of things or more we don't really have...

Starting with a competent FO and Hall of Fame coach lol. 

3 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

That isolation number for Bacon is very surprising.

Bacon ranks high as a PnR ball handler as well. That's crazy. We should probably let him handle it a little more with the second unit and see if those numbers hold up with a little more usage. 

It's obvious he's never going to be the off ball threat we need him to be to make him a real top 8 or 9 rotation guy (he doesn't even register enough cuts to qualify in that category and his catch and shoot is like 10th percentile) but if he can initiate offense a little with the second unit he could still carve a role out on this team. 

Everyone's talking about AG to Portland but they might also be interested in Fournier or Ross to be fair. They're not getting a whole lot from any of their wings. 

Something like Hood (for salary matching) + Simons + protected first would be lovely. 

Or replace Simons with Trent Jr. If we're confident about paying him in RFA this summer to be our SG moving forward.

EDIT: Also Ross on the Blazers would be so fun. Imagine playing them on a day when Ross, CJ and Dame are all hot. No defense on the planet is stopping that.

So, we missed the playoffs our first 4 years as a team, which is kind of expected. Then we went on a run when we made it 14 of 18 seasons until the Dwightmare. We’re not as far off from being the San Antonio of the East as people think. Only difference is Duncan stayed, Shaq didn’t.

As for trades, the only players I think we need to trade are Fournier and Birch because they’re not coming back next year, neither guy is worth going in to the tax over. I’m open to an AG, Ross or even Vooch trade IF it brings back + value. Aaron especially is someone we have to consider because of his contract expiring next year and the attention he’s garnering around the league.