Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

8 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Outside of exhibiting vets for trades, there’s no reason some of these young guys shouldn’t be playing on our actual team. That’s my hope post-trade deadline.

As someone said a long time ago in this thread, we have too many guaranteed contracts. Congrats to the Lakeland magic, Mike Bianchi said we should have a parade this morning on the radio. /s.

Here is a great article about the deadline players. The Magic have their own section of players!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-trade-deadline-2021-from-kyle-lowry-to-kevin-love-60-players-who-could-be-dealt-this-season/

If the Pels want to make a win now move they seem like an ideal team to trade Fournier or Ross with. They have Redick's 13m expiring (who we could keep for the feel good story or move to a third team) and a bunch of young guards they could offer one of. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

If the Pels want to make a win now move they seem like an ideal team to trade Fournier or Ross with. They have Redick's 13m expiring (who we could keep for the feel good story or move to a third team) and a bunch of young guards they could offer one of. 

Another win-now team that may be interested in an upgrade is Washington. Anyone know anything about Deni, the rookie?

On 3/11/2021 at 8:10 AM, Soul Bro said:

Take that back, my friend!

It more has to do with the FO over resting our injured players so they get deconditioned and inevitably get injured again 

Pistons traded for Hamidou Diallo. Didn’t even know he was available and it didn’t cost much. Would have loved him on Orlando. Potential, potential, potential. Sigh.

I am so tired of this play it safe, conservative, do nothing front office.  I hope they have something up their sleeves in a couple of weeks but I doubt it.  I am not the biggest Colin Cowherd fan but the other day he made a great point.  He said aggressive wins in sports.  And I know these are not perfect correlations to the Magic but here we go.  Tampa signs Tom Brady, Lakers trade for AD, Raptors trade for Kawhi, Dodgers trade for Betts, GS gets KD, Brooklyn gets Harden, and KC trades up for Mahomes.  The Magic have been aggressive in their past.  Fans that have been around for a long time know what I am talking about.

This is going to sound like hindsight but i knew Gordon and Evan would be hurt around the trade deadline. Essentially tanking the value of both and giving management the excuse to do nothing, as usual. 

Last week Alex Martins was interviewed in the Sentinel about how sports came to a halt last year in March. He was quoted saying "Nothing really changed for me last March because i usually do nothing anyway."

The last part was sarcasm.

4 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

This is going to sound like hindsight but i knew Gordon and Evan would be hurt around the trade deadline. Essentially tanking the value of both and giving management the excuse to do nothing, as usual. 

Last week Alex Martins was interviewed in the Sentinel about how sports came to a halt last year in March. He was quoted saying "Nothing really changed for me last March because i usually do nothing anyway."

The last part was sarcasm.

Is it just a coincidence that when Alex took over the Magic it started by far the worst stretch in Magic history?

15 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

It’s hard not to see it that way. I think we need to move on from both.

6 minutes ago, og magic fan said:

Is it just a coincidence that when Alex took over the Magic it started by far the worst stretch in Magic history?

Alex isn't horrible. He has been CEO since 2006 and obviously did a few things right. In my opinion he is just not an alpha or type 1 guy. He has done well at times and honestly has tried to let basketball people make the basketball decisions. He is mostly just a yes man who the Devos family has been extremely loyal to. So we have a guy in control that doesn't take control of things and has no direction. Looks at the Skiles and Henny situation. He is just not what this team needs right now. 

2 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Alex isn't horrible. He has been CEO since 2006 and obviously did a few things right. In my opinion he is just not an alpha or type 1 guy. He has done well at times and honestly has tried to let basketball people make the basketball decisions. He is mostly just a yes man who the Devos family has been extremely loyal to. So we have a guy in control that doesn't take control of things and has no direction. Looks at the Skiles and Henny situation. He is just not what this team needs right now. 

CEO since 2006?  I thought Vander Weide was in charge till 2012.