Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be fair, message boards in general aren't really as widely used or popular as they once were. People shout their opinions on social media instead. Like, I bet there's a whole generation of Magic fans who'd find this forum alien.

Absolutely true, but I'm old school, and I find the social alien actually! LOL

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Josh Robbins on the Athletic implied that Fournier doesn't have a lot of value and that he might only be interesting to teams with long term salary looking to dump it. 

I'm not necessarily sure I believe that, but assuming that's the case I'd honestly rather just let him leave as an FA this summer. 

In that case, absolutely, don't want to add any other long term contract to our problematic payroll (unless is part of a bigger deal for a good player on a good contract, obviously)

1 hour ago, MagicMoses said:

I appreciate that you are hesitant about adding an injury prone player but with our current lack of star quality I’d be willing to take the risk. Especially with his size, mobility, shooting (although it hasn’t been great this season) and defensive upside. Also fits with the timeline of our younger players

His shooting has remained effective as he's connected on 35.2 percent of his triples, right around his career average. He's 14th among centers in PER, but the numbers paint a dire picture defensively—especially after Dallas' beatdown over the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday night as Porzingis sat with lower back tightness. The Mavs have a minus-4.7 net rating when he's on the floor.

In those 509 minutes, Dallas has allowed 119.5 points per 100 possessions, a mark that would leave the Mavericks nearly two full points worse than the 30th-ranked Sacramento Kings. When he's been off the court, Dallas' defense had surged to a stingy 108.7 rating in 840 minutes entering Monday, good for a top-five figure in the league. And for all the rightful criticism Doncic has previously drawn, the Mavericks defense holds foes to 111.0 points per 100 possessions when Doncic is on the court and Porzingis is out.

The ship may right itself as Porzingis regains strength in his right knee. It was only Dec. 29 when he first fully participated in a practice. But the early returns have been troubling, especially as Dallas was designed to rely on its 7'3" giant stalking the back line. He's been far more of a bystander than an enforcer at the rim, and he also has a mounting history of injuries.

"It looks like it's impossible for him to get in a stance. He looks like a scarecrow out there," one Western Conference executive said. "You don't expect him to necessarily be great from the jump, but I've watched Porzingis a couple of times this year, and I'm not sure the guy can guard anybody."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2933005-league-sources-say-mavericks-quietly-gauging-kristaps-porzingis-trade-value

there's a reason the Mavs are trying to trade him...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I’d rather have Vooch than KP... Better, cheaper and more durable.

Yeah the Zingus ship has sailed. He might be a unicorn but his injuries and contract suck. Also i doubt he ever lives up to the hype. When he is completely healthy he can be a beast but analytics show he can be a detriment on defense. 

Time to make you depressed, the most likely thing we do is nothing. However if we play well the next 3 weeks i think the most likely thing we do is trade Gordon. That could be good and bad but probably bad. If they chose that path i think they would trade for a player that could  help them make the playoffs this year without a salary hit next year. They could trade him to a team that doesn't care if he sits out awhile. Think T-wolves or Oklahoma Thunder.

Take the Thunder, they really don't need picks anymore, but having Gordons contract next year is a huge bargaining chip to match salaries in a trade. Or extend him if he plays well. Same thing with the Timberwolves, they won't mind taking back an injured player because they have the worst record in the league. They have a gaping whole at power forward and taking a one year flyer on Gordon would be a good deal. The downside is i'm not sure  what our management could get in return. 

Or another old school mod Davciv or the mighty Marc Acres and echo4papa. I’ve been here for a while as well lurking in the shadows over the years haha.

• Upvote 1

Saw this trade on BR and I dont really know the picks that Celts have but surely Vooch is worth more than this

Boston Celtics Get: Nikola Vucevic and a 2023 second-round pick (top-40 protected via New York Knicks)

Orlando Magic Get: 2023 first-round pick and 2025 first-round pick (unprotected via Boston Celtics)

New York Knicks Get: Daniel Theis