Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

Curious if the Pels would trade Redick for Ross straight up. We’d bring JJ home to be another shooter and ball handler, and we’d get off Ross’ money. The Pels would get a cost controlled contract for a shooter 7 years younger.

We must make trades anyway. If we want to fight for traditional 7-8 spots in playoffs then we must trade for a veteran PG.

if we finally understand that we can’t compete with Vuc-Fournier tandem, then we must trade them and AG with Ross. All of them have great value and can get us young players/draft pics/cap space.

Another  option is to trade expiring valuable Fournier, plus picks, maybe Bamba and get a player like Beal or another star...

anyway, there must be trades by the FO.

• Upvote 1

Is the upside for Cole something close to Fred VanVleet? Like a combo guard who's probably better off ball but can run an offense if he needs to and is a little undersized defensively but battles on defense and the glass? Not a great finisher but has some pick and roll craft and is a great shooter? 

Just something that I was thinking about.

• Like 1

Orlando Magic

Record: 8-10
Past SOS: 30th
Future SOS: 1st

The Magic are in free fall, with eight losses in 10 games since Markelle Fultz was lost for the season with an ACL tear. Their 6-2 start seems so long ago. And the worst might be yet to come: Orlando has the league’s hardest remaining schedule by a wide margin.

Unlike the Warriors and Mavericks, the Magic can be only discouraged to be stuck on the playoff fringe despite early advantages. For instance, Orlando’s Western Conference opponents so far are the Thunder (twice), Rockets, Mavericks, and Timberwolves—not a single one with a positive point differential. They would presume to fare much worse against the rest of the West.

The Magic’s schedule is especially back-loaded with the toughest competition. Orlando’s remaining first-half schedule is fairly easy still, according to Tankathon, whose calculations assume that any thus-far-postponed games will be made up in the first half—meaning the Magic’s unscheduled second-half games are going to be brutal. (On the other hand, teams that lock into a high playoff seed early might also be even more willing than usual to rest players late in the regular season.)

The only silver lining is that falling out of the playoff race for the first time in years could convince the Magic to pivot more toward long-term player development. As Jonathan Tjarks wrote this week about Mo Bamba, stuck on the bench in his third season: “The best thing that could happen to Bamba’s development is for the Magic to slip out of the playoff race.”

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/26/22249948/nba-schedule-real-not-warriors-lakers-mavericks

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Is the upside for Cole something close to Fred VanVleet? Like a combo guard who's probably better off ball but can run an offense if he needs to and is a little undersized defensively but battles on defense and the glass? Not a great finisher but has some pick and roll craft and is a great shooter? 

Yes, I think that’s fair

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's a fair comparison, but still a long way to go to reach that level, including the Ship! :)

and yes, our schedule has been as soft as possible. Difficult times ahead. Hope that leads to a decision, one way or another, anything is better than this limbo we're living.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

It's a fair comparison, but still a long way to go to reach that level, including the Ship! :)

and yes, our schedule has been as soft as possible. Difficult times ahead. Hope that leads to a decision, one way or another, anything is better than this limbo we're living.

It really is a narrative thing though. I wonder how long FVV can keep riding the coattails of a few good playoff games without doing much of anything spectacular since. Same with Siakam.

On another team, we have Tyler Herro with people probably saying look he's still scoring while shooting 30% from 3 and taking 14 shots a game. These guys are okay and hard workers and reliable but people are going to use the narrative of the place they're at as if they're budding stars yet when they play here they're just "ok players" and not talented enough. 

Probably won't happen, but it's a weird year and I would love if things keep up and Toronto and Miami don't make the playoffs

Cole was on the Magic podcast and he says that he got the call that we were drafting him after the 13th pick was announced so to me that suggests we would have selected Kira Lewis Jr. If he made it to 15. That's interesting and I really liked Kira before the draft (and there's a long way to go) but Cole looks like the right pick right now.

12 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

It really is a narrative thing though. I wonder how long FVV can keep riding the coattails of a few good playoff games without doing much of anything spectacular since. Same with Siakam.

I think that FVV has done quite more than a few good playoff games, and I would love Cole to reach his level, would be a huge win for a mid first round pick in a weak draft.

I could agree that sometimes narrative inflate the image we have about a player, but in the Magic case, we have a lot of work to do, and we need to improve in so many facets, that having a player like this would already be a good step in the right direction.

• Like 1

I know with player egos its hard to make lineup changes, but i think swapping fournier and ross would be better. Fournier is pretty good player against the best squads, and i think him coming off the bench tearing up the secondary might actually be more in his favor and supplies our backups with another decent ballhandler

I can’t wait till this Front Office is gone. We’ve gone no where fast with their plan (or lack thereof). 

We need more aggression. Sitting idly by year after year isn’t going to cut it for a franchise that can’t seem to sign any notable FA’s. We need to make things happen, PERIOD. 

• Upvote 2