Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

It's time for a reckoning as Magic fans.  It is painfully obvious this franchise is no longer in the championship business.  They are in the mediocrity at best business.  I feel like I am the only Magic fan that cares enough to hold this franchise to a higher standard.  This play it safe strategy sucks!  Let's be bold and blue again and take chances.  I can get behind a franchise who is going for it.  I can not get behind habitual 8th seed treadmill teams.  I have been a die hard fan since I moved here in 89 and never wavered in my fandom.  But now I am questioning why I should care when the franchise does not!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Totally agree.

And if I'm not wrong, CLE received Allen+Prince in exchange of Exum+2nd round pick. Would it be so difficult for us to give something better than that and replace Birch+Aminu/Clark and a 2nd round pick for those 2?

All this makes me wonder what does our FO do on their day-to-day basis...

Yes, Oladipo has more value than Fournier but I doubt someone will give them picks for an expiring contract... but I might be wrong...

It was Exum, a 1st and a 2nd I believe. And most importantly Cleveland used a considerable amount of cap space to absorb Prince. Capspace which we didn't have. 

They'd obviously want assurance that Oladipo would resign before giving up too much for him but he could give that assurance if it was a team like Denver or Dallas. 

• Upvote 1

This front office does nothing.  What is the plan?  We have no draft capital,  high pay roll meaning no cap space, no really good assets anyone wants in trades.  Again what is the plan?

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Oladipo has more value than Fournier and I'm pretty sure they're going to try and move Oladipo for more picks whenever they can. 

Sure, that's why I've wrote

"(+ everything necessary to make it work)"

in my original post. :)

I'm pretty sure too that Houston will try, and probably find someone, but Dipo has had injuries and a possible request for a max contract coming up. Don't know how much they can get, so they could have accepted something now.

In general, I think that this is a terrible move for the Nets (probably not as bad as the previous all-in with the Celtics, but still...), while the Pacers have completed the smart silent move inside the trade.

2 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Sure, that's why I've wrote

"(+ everything necessary to make it work)"

in my original post. :)

I'm pretty sure they'll try too, and probably find someone, but Dipo has had injuries and a possible request for a max contract coming up. Don't know how much they can get, so they could have accpeted something now.

In general, I think that this is a terrible move for the Nets (probably not as bad as the previous all-in with the Celtics, but still...), while the Pacers have completed the smart silent move inside the trade.

The thing about Caris Levert is he's already 26 and he's never had a fully healthy season. The season in which he played his most minutes, he still played less minutes than 5 Magic players did last season.

Indiana did well in that they don't lose Oladipo for nothing and they get someone who can be a similar scorer to Oladipo but I don't think that move is without risk. 

34 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

The thing about Caris Levert is he's already 26 and he's never had a fully healthy season. The season in which he played his most minutes, he still played less minutes than 5 Magic players did last season.

Still worth the risk when you'll only give up Fournier (FINALLY!!! also avoiding the still present risk of resigning him too) and other minor assets. He has the potential to be a very good player (and showed it again in the bubble).

About injuries, we have just extendend Isaac, taken another risk with Fultz, and drafted Okeke... I mean, what's the riskiest move?
As for not having cap space to absorb salary and get assets... that's due to the management previous choices, those that have negated one of the available paths to improve.

3 hours ago, og magic fan said:

It's time for a reckoning as Magic fans.  It is painfully obvious this franchise is no longer in the championship business.  They are in the mediocrity at best business.  I feel like I am the only Magic fan that cares enough to hold this franchise to a higher standard.  This play it safe strategy sucks!  Let's be bold and blue again and take chances.  I can get behind a franchise who is going for it.  I can not get behind habitual 8th seed treadmill teams.  I have been a die hard fan since I moved here in 89 and never wavered in my fandom.  But now I am questioning why I should care when the franchise does not!!!

Of course some spineless jerk down votes me.  Just debate me.  Would your mom approve!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think the FO does poke around on deals like this just to see if there is something too good to pass up, but I think it is obvious their plan for success is solely based on internal improvements rather than external additions, unfortunately

3 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I think the FO does poke around on deals like this just to see if there is something too good to pass up, but I think it is obvious their plan for success is solely based on internal improvements rather than external additions, unfortunately

But if you really don't have the internal high end talent what does that mean?  If we had good cap management that would be one thing.  So are they betting on hitting on a 12 to 17 pick in the next 10 years?  That is my frustration that there is no plan.  I know it is Alex Martins fault.  I had a couple cocktails with Bob Vander Wiede a couple years ago and he clued me in.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, og magic fan said:

Im with you mate I'm finding it extremely tough. We just need to clean house ASAP. Cant believe this is the tripe we have to watch, and whats worse zero cap space and any future building block has long term injuries. Very dire. I would say were in the worse position in the league. At least minny have a couple of stars and a recent #1 with upside. What do we have? There is just no way forward if we keep maxing out at 8th spot and pick mid first round. 

26 minutes ago, harley said:

Im with you mate I'm finding it extremely tough. We just need to clean house ASAP. Cant believe this is the tripe we have to watch, and whats worse zero cap space and any future building block has long term injuries. Very dire. I would say were in the worse position in the league. At least minny have a couple of stars and a recent #1 with upside. What do we have? There is just no way forward if we keep maxing out at 8th spot and pick mid first round. 

Thank you friend.  I agree with you what actually do we have.  Yes vooch is playing great.  But what is he as a second or third option when he is not able to jack up 20+ shots?  He is great being the best player on a below average team.  I say sell high on him right now.  I feel this franchise is so afraid of being bad again they won't take chances on the future.  Well here is the reality the rest of the east is coming and I am betting we will not make the playoffs this year.  So like you said clean house.  I would start with Alex Martins,  Jeff Weltman and Hammond.  Hire Shaq as president of bball operations with an agreement to eventually sell him the team.   

1 hour ago, og magic fan said:

But if you really don't have the internal high end talent what does that mean?  If we had good cap management that would be one thing.  So are they betting on hitting on a 12 to 17 pick in the next 10 years?  That is my frustration that there is no plan.  I know it is Alex Martins fault.  I had a couple cocktails with Bob Vander Wiede a couple years ago and he clued me in.

I’ve known it’s Alex Martins fault because the Devos family gave him free reign to make basketball related decisions he had no business making. I even brought that up and got told by other posters I was wrong it was the GM’s fault. If we look through the history of the Magic and our ultimate shortcomings there are 2 contestant factors. Alex Martin’s and the Devos family. We’ve changed multiple coaches/players and yet we still come up with the same results over and over again. Once both of those are gone we will be a competent franchise. Until then be happy with resigning Vuc/Fournier type players and trading away the meaningful assets. I’m still a die hard Magic fan but definitely not a believer in this Regime.