Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

11 hours ago, jjgator said:

It's obviously very early for stats to be completely relevant, but hey, that does quite sum up our outdated style of play and roster.

8 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Curry is pure greatness...

The best shooter EVER

62 Off 30 shots. Insane!!

I'm glad you brought up Curry. He's the type of player we don't have and dream of having. Winning championships or scratching for an 8th seed he makes his team worth watching. And Curry's brother, despite being limited and having flaws is elite at something. And despite being cheap and moving from team to team, still a player the Magic cannot acquire. 

The truth is as we waited for that perfect draft pick, that savior franchise player to fall in our laps, we didn't do anything. We didn't even acquire medium level talent to help them. The original Dwight and JJ trades were very successful. We dodged a bullet the first draft by taking Oladipo, there were so many complete busts in that draft. The biggest problem was not getting even a middle of the road veteran point guard during the entire rebuild and not putting the right power forward next to Vooch. 

In my humble opinion the last time this franchise was on the right track was when Henny tried to get Paul Millsap but just missed out. At least that was a plan. He was very good the next four years, maybe they see a good base. Maybe they try to trade Elfrid,Evan,Gordon or picks for that star Point Guard. And this was just one of the mistakes.The other huge problem was not zagging when things went wrong. Everyone knows the Dipo trade and Biyombo signing were disasters.However the biggest mistake was not fully rebooting right then and there. We probably would have been just bad enough to draft one of the franchise altering players. By hanging on we were just good enough to look awful for half of every season, outside our hot streaks. 

It's maddening.

• Upvote 2

My assessment thus far is that the Magic are still a .500 team. Outside of Vooch, everyone is young, average or inconsistent. Fultz has the ability to dominate in a unique way, but it looks like he's still trying to figure out his role and become consistent. I feel we are still missing a great, young wing. 

On 1/4/2021 at 7:51 AM, Luke_FfS said:

It's obviously very early for stats to be completely relevant, but hey, that does quite sum up our outdated style of play and roster.

It’s weird because our two best players, Vuc and Ross, are very good at both of these.

This is one of the reasons I dont like Clifford. For as much as people talk about his defenses, he doesn’t know offense

I think we can add Jarred Vanderbilt to the list with THT, or guys we drafted that could of been solid rotation pieces for us, but we traded them for nothing.

Vanderbilt registered 11 points (4-5 FG, 3-7 FT), five rebounds, two assists, three steals and two blocks across 23 minutes in Tuesday's loss at Denver

The kid is only 21 years old and been in the league three year. I was kind of excited we drafted him that year, only for us to trade him for that kid from Maryland. 

Say what you want about Calipari, those Kentucky kids come into the league prepare for their opportunity.

Just a little boring tidbit. I think we make a small move to get another point guard in the next two weeks. However if we make a unexpected move in the next month this is what i would love to see, a trade with the Spurs. Simply put moving Evan for DeRozan. I could see it happening i think Fournier fits the Spurs better and i think Demar would help us make the playoffs this year.

https://tradenba.com/trades/JIKhou5cw

This trade also involves Tre Jones and Aminu. Just to explain as simply as possible it depends on Aminu actually playing and at least showing he is healthy.

The Spurs know they are moving on from DeMar and they do not need Tre, they just resigned White and already have Murray. They do need a cheap veteran power forward and they love sharp shooting euro guards. We need another person comfortable with the ball in his hands and a scorer, don't get too caught up where the points come from. 

At the very least it gets us another point guard and then locks our total point guard money at around 20 million the next 3 years. Fultz,Cole,Jones. It also brings a player helping us to win this year while clearing our cap next year....if he leaves. This is all worth a lottery protected first round pick. Please don't get caught up with picks. Without even looking it up i would be willing to bet more then 50% of our first round picks in our history have been complete busts. And it would be protected and can be a future year. Heck just to use an example do you know the pick the Warriors gave up for Oubre was top 20 protected? 

I like watching an interesting team and i will only jump on the tank bandwagon if we are about to miss the playoffs in May. Trust me DeMar would help us win!

52 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Please don't get caught up with picks. Without even looking it up i would be willing to bet more then 50% of our first round picks in our history have been complete busts. And it would be protected and can be a future year. Heck just to use an example do you know the pick the Warriors gave up for Oubre was top 20 protected? 

I like watching an interesting team and i will only jump on the tank bandwagon if we are about to miss the playoffs in May. Trust me DeMar would help us win!

Well i did look - and your a little off...15 out of 37 1st round picks by the magic played 5 or less seasons in the league.. Of the remaining 20 almost all of them were legitimate starters or rotation players? so we are looking at a 60% ratio of playability.

of those 15 how many were picked above the 15th pick? 12

Of those 12 how many were in the 20th? 8

Of those 8 how many were during our best years? 7 (jeryl sasser if you include our best TMAC year in the playoffs.)

Half of all our busts were driven by our best years. I will say we have very bad talent evaluators if we cant make hits after 10 Seriously the only good drafts after 10 in our history is:

11 Nick

11 JJ

22 C Lee

4 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Well i did look - and your a little off...15 out of 37 1st round picks by the magic played 5 or less seasons in the league.. Of the remaining 20 almost all of them were legitimate starters or rotation players? so we are looking at a 60% ratio of playability.

of those 15 how many were picked above the 15th pick? 12

Of those 12 how many were in the 20th? 8

Of those 8 how many were during our best years? 7 (jeryl sasser if you include our best TMAC year in the playoffs.)

Half of all our busts were driven by our best years. I will say we have very bad talent evaluators if we cant make hits after 10 Seriously the only good drafts after 10 in our history is:

11 Nick

11 JJ

22 C Lee

So your backing up what i said. Ditto why we all seem to like Cole, even though his shooting is not good at the moment. Cole, has actual basketball skills, has an alpha mentality and fits the teams needs right now. Don't get me wrong, in general the late picks are not good. I think people on this board were mistaking all the *****ing about late first round picks and second rounders. It is simply more chances to hit on talent. Combining assets to get already or almost realized talent is second only to hitting on a generational player in the draft. Simply put, asset management is better then a lottery ticket. I want the team to win first and foremost and then be at least respectable. Outside of that, if we somehow just miss out on the playoffs, of course i'm pulling for the same miracle  the year we drafted Penny. I am no longer hoping for going  into the lottery and drafting Shaq. lets be good and stay good.  

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Just a little boring tidbit. I think we make a small move to get another point guard in the next two weeks. However if we make a unexpected move in the next month this is what i would love to see, a trade with the Spurs. Simply put moving Evan for DeRozan. I could see it happening i think Fournier fits the Spurs better and i think Demar would help us make the playoffs this year.

https://tradenba.com/trades/JIKhou5cw

This trade also involves Tre Jones and Aminu. Just to explain as simply as possible it depends on Aminu actually playing and at least showing he is healthy.

The Spurs know they are moving on from DeMar and they do not need Tre, they just resigned White and already have Murray. They do need a cheap veteran power forward and they love sharp shooting euro guards. We need another person comfortable with the ball in his hands and a scorer, don't get too caught up where the points come from. 

At the very least it gets us another point guard and then locks our total point guard money at around 20 million the next 3 years. Fultz,Cole,Jones. It also brings a player helping us to win this year while clearing our cap next year....if he leaves. This is all worth a lottery protected first round pick. Please don't get caught up with picks. Without even looking it up i would be willing to bet more then 50% of our first round picks in our history have been complete busts. And it would be protected and can be a future year. Heck just to use an example do you know the pick the Warriors gave up for Oubre was top 20 protected? 

I could get behind this. Depending on the cost