Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

8 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I agree - though ESPN doesn't seem to be impressed, we are still down at #18 in their latest Power Rankings, despite beating Miami (#5) in the season opener. Incidentally, they did not drop at all despite losing to us (ranked #19 at the time)?!? 

I was going to share the link as well. I’m surprised how little respect we get from ESPN when Disney owns them and are also on our jerseys. CBS sports has us at 5.

1 hour ago, Extential said:

I was going to share the link as well. I’m surprised how little respect we get from ESPN when Disney owns them and are also on our jerseys. CBS sports has us at 5.

A tale of two (too?) extremes? I think CBS is putting too much faith in the fast start - I don't really think we are a top-5 in the league team; but I also don't think there are 8 or 9 teams in each conference that are better than we are right now. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Castaway said:

First of all, I acknowledge as I must that I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys ... but I got a question: is Markelle way of playing last night, making himself the Magic's main and principal shooter, the way y'all would want him to play every game? is it the way a PG is expected to play? or would he be expected to share the ball more often (21 FG attempts and only 2 assists)? there probably were more passes that, had his team mate scored, could have become assists ... and maybe his play last night was contingent upon the way the Wizards were playing him, and him taking advantage ... what do y'all think?  

he needs to take what teams gives him. If they dont double him, he needs at abuse them in the paint and get easy buckets. Then, it will open the passing lanes. He shot 52%. yes, keep scoring please. We have needed good pg play for a while. 

The point guard play and bench has been the difference so far.  It has been a weakness for a while. Good to see pg play turnaround so far. Let us see fultz continue to earn that contract he got. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2020 at 8:02 PM, Babir_9 said:

Okeke should not be playing...even Clark is better

I think he makes solid basketball plays. He is a rookie so it will take time. He needs to take his open shots. He is also good at keeping the ball moving. I was surprised that he was a good ball handler. He has more overall talent than clark. it is just too early because of limited practice time for rookies. 

Our bench has been great this year.

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

A tale of two (too?) extremes? I think CBS is putting too much faith in the fast start - I don't really think we are a top-5 in the league team; but I also don't think there are 8 or 9 teams in each conference that are better than we are right now. 

I agree. I feel that power rankings should take into account the record first and then the writer adjusts the location of rank a little, based on opinion. It shouldn’t be on star power or just record. The whole point of it coming out weekly is that changes are expected. So the writer shouldn’t be afraid to move teams up or down. For example with ESPN, a team with 0-2 record should be ranked higher than teams with 2-3 wins.

11 hours ago, Natesroom said:

in ESPN we are ranked 18th and toronto 0-2 is 15th - mavericks 1-2 at 12th, Nuggets 0-2 at 9th, Bucks 1-2 at 4th,

TheRinger has the magic at 23...lol

Almost as if 3 games doesn’t actually tell you much of anything about teams