Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

I wish I could have watched that game, it's good to know things are starting back up. What a relief. Good to know that in a loss, we don't just completely fall off a cliff like the last few years.

I don't expect much this year but if we can avoid constant sub-25% from 3 and sub 40% from 2 games as a team, I'd be chuffed that we have pieces that are pointing in the right direction.

27 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

I wish I could have watched that game, it's good to know things are starting back up. What a relief. Good to know that in a loss, we don't just completely fall off a cliff like the last few years.

I don't expect much this year but if we can avoid constant sub-25% from 3 and sub 40% from 2 games as a team, I'd be chuffed that we have pieces that are pointing in the right direction.

http://nbastreams.xyz/games/

13 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

All his hate looks a bit incoherent after leting MCW be on the court for  28 embarrassing minutes... More than twice the time he gave to Chuma... Bone and Mane didn’t even got to play... that’s bad coaching imo...

8 hours ago, JayMac said:

All his hate looks a bit incoherent after leting MCW be on the court for  28 embarrassing minutes... More than twice the time he gave to Chuma... Bone and Mane didn’t even got to play... that’s bad coaching imo...

This is spot on... MCW is a great roster guy, but should only be a matchup play (for defense) or a spark guy... His inability to shoot anything past 5 feet is crippling to the offense... I’m hoping this is only due to injuries/restrictions... 

Fultz/Anthony 

Fournier/Ross

Ennis/Bacon

Gordon/Okeke

Vucevic/Birch (hopefully Bamba salvages at least the ability to return something in trade)

Leaves MCW, Aminu, Clark, and Birch/Bamba outside the rotation—yes please.

22 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I know it's only preseason...but did we screw up?

It is only pre-season, so I'm not completely blown away; but I did really want this kid, and was really pissed when we gave him away to the Lakers of all people. He followed that up last night with 33 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals.

13 hours ago, JayMac said:

I didn't watch the game so can't speak to MCW being bad (though I can imagine) but Chuma was playing his second game in 20 months and is on a minutes restriction and Bone and Mane are on 2 way contracts so it hardly makes sense to play them valuable minutes that we need to get actual rotation players up to game speed in time for the season starting in 2 weeks time.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I didn't watch the game so can't speak to MCW being bad (though I can imagine) but Chuma was playing his second game in 20 months and is on a minutes restriction and Bone and Mane are on 2 way contracts so it hardly makes sense to play them valuable minutes that we need to get actual rotation players up to game speed in time for the season starting in 2 weeks time.

I didn't see the game either - I couldn't find it - but I would tend to agree with CTMagic, it appears that Chuma (and Gordon) were under minutes restrictions while they are rehabbing/getting back into game shape. With only 4 pre-season games, it feels much more important to get our "regular" rotation guys back into the swing. Plus, he is working Anthony, Okeke, Bacon all into the rotation; none of whom were with the team last season. It's hard to work more than three new guys into your rotation. Since it looks like we will be starting the season without the following:

Bamba (?), Ennis (?), Aminu (?), Ross, Isaac - working in the rest of the guys on the roster does seem to make sense. Plus our 2-way guys are both backcourt players, and our injuries/illness are mostly front-court, so that works against them. Could he have played MCW less, and given some minutes to Bone or Mane? Possibly, but maybe he felt it was more important to let MCW play through and get back into the "swing". 

Can't say much because i didn't watch any streams, just saw highlights. Judging from the box scores we are right on track for the usual Magic season. Fultz has been given the green light. Cole is the scorer instead of the limited offensive players we have drafted for years. Bacon is another streaky shooter. Our vets are good players who can keep us close but not take over a game. Nothings changed, but this year that might be a good thing. 

Best things about this season, two exciting rookies to watch and Fultz becoming a real bona fide starter. Worst things about this season will be Clifford press conferences, so i will avoid them. The games will be watchable again! I am really happy about this, i watch more Magic basketball then national games. Plus i got to watch almost every game in the bubble since i was out of work. Would rather just watch the Magic the first half of the season. I'll be keeping an eye on Washington and a few other young teams like the Pelicans and Suns. I can't stand most of the other east teams. 

Biggest thing i want to see is health. Health so Fultz, Chuma and Cole can gain real experience. Also just as important. I want Gordon and Fournier to stay healthy so  we can trade them aas the freaking deadline!!!!. Just from casual observation, we should be a 9th or 10th seed at the trade deadline. The east is deep this year, and i'm glad. It should make the games exciting. It's really perfect. Like so many of you have said, tanking isn't good. Developing players and cultivating a winning culture is what we should do. Finally we have some players to cultivate while playing to win. I just think we will wind up in the lottery, which is a good thing. We are due for some lottery luck. Just have to get lucky and have Isaac get healthy and the future is ok.

Anyhow it's looking like a watchable team and i'm excited about Fultz!. I've also come full circle and hope Vucevic retires here. The guy is a rock and deserves to break all of Dwight's records.

• Like 1