Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We are not "dangerously close to being the worst run team in the league" at all. 

Agree, that article is way too harsh even for me that I'm being critical.
At the same time, we're not even close to be between the best run teams in the league either, IMO.

Sorry guys i had a few Friday drinks on Thursday. We are not in the worst position, our contracts are very tradeable, love a few of our young guys. I'm sure we will look great this month, i actually can feel it. 

I have to explain what got to me. I know an intelligent man should not let the media stir up emotions. However i listen to our local sports radio, you know the names if you live here. Daniels,Bianchi,Kravitz. I know it's the medias job to be controversial sometimes and in the last decade anger and pessimism is the new normal. However, i've listened to these guys forever and they are true fans of Orlando Sports. They are usually pretty upbeat and actually want to to promote our teams with positivity and passion. It's their job and the last two years they have finally started to kind of give up.

I honestly have never heard a local radio guy actually say the things we all say on the forums. This year has been different, it's like they took off the kid's gloves and came out swinging. They are admitting the whole team seems pointless from ownership and management  straight on down to the  players and product. I've been listening Marc Daniels especially the last two months and he basically keeps saying all the exact things i've been thinking. He isn't just spewing negativity, he is just kind of getting real. He realizes the stagnant state our team is in and kind of admitting it's been around for awhile. 

It  just made me a little sad since the Magic have been my favorite team besides the Braves since 93. Culture is kind of important. I just about stopped being a Dolphins fan, not because of all the losing the last 20 years. I remember when the whole Incognito thing happened and so many other things during the Philbin and Gase years.  Anyhow i'm rambling. The Braves and Dolphins turned things around, i'm sure the Magic can.

• Upvote 1

• Several teams – as many as 10, and maybe even more than that – called the Magic during the offseason to show interest in trading for Aaron Gordon, sources tell ESPN’s Zach Lowe. While we don’t know the full list of potential suitors for Gordon, Lowe confirms that the Timberwolves were among the teams to inquire, as was previously reported. Orlando ultimately decided to hang onto the veteran forward, whom Lowe still believes in as a potential breakout candidate.

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

The problem with Aaron is that nobody knows who he is in the league... including us.

I wish we could just erase last years memories of him completely of not being able to stay on the court. I’m trying to stick to how it felt when it seemed like he really figured it out in the playoffs against the Raptors. He’s had the unfortunate feel around him for awhile that’s destined to finally break out when he inevitably finds his way out of Orlando.

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

The problem with Aaron is that nobody knows who he is in the league... including us.

I like that fans of many teams seem to covet Gordon. Article says the real teams do as well. We probably should have taken one of the deals. Who says you can't have 3 rookies on the roster?

Just to get fans excited, this is from last year’s draft...

”’He was really the glue that held that Auburn team together. He’s unselfish, he moves the ball, he knows his role,’’ [Mike] Schmitz added. ‘In today’s NBA, this is the guy you want. He is the prototype, 6-7 combo forward. Chuma Okeke, this is a huge win for the Orlando Magic. Even though he has to sit out, I think this is a monster steal.’’’

https://www.nba.com/magic/draft-experts-think-okeke-could-be-steal-draft-20190621

From Pelton’s statistical rankings last year, Okeke came in at #8 overall...

Consensus: 1.8 WARP

In contrast to Culver, Okeke was far more productive at the defensive end of the court, where he rates in the top 25 percent of NBA-bound forwards in both steal and block rate. Alas, Okeke's stats-only projection doesn't account for the torn ACL he suffered in Auburn's Sweet 16 win over North Carolina, which will presumably sideline him much of next season and caused him to tumble on draft boards. A team that doesn't need Okeke to contribute next season could get a steal once he returns to the court.”

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26719470/nba-draft-stats-scouting-rankings-top-lottery-prospects

And from this year’s rankings, Pelton had Anthony #4 overall...

Consensus: 2.7 WARP

Few top prospects have had such a big disparity between AAU and college performance as Anthony, who rated as the EYBL's best player both in 2017 as a rising junior (which is part of this projection) and again before his senior year of high school in 2018.

Based strictly on his season at North Carolina, where he made a disappointing 40% of his 2-point attempts and was far less effective accumulating assists and steals, Anthony would rate as a late first-round prospect rather than on in the top 5.”

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29335461/2020-nba-draft-projections-ranking-top-30-prospects