Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

A Harden and Wall backcourt is a dumpster fire. Maybe a Harden trade is on the horizon? Maybe we get in on it?

Edit: And I think this is a good move for Washington.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

A Harden and Wall backcourt is a dumpster fire. Maybe a Harden trade is on the horizon? Maybe we get in on it?

I just noticed the Houston pick is protected 1-4 for next year. They also own their own picks in 22 and 23. I thought those were pick swap years with OKC, but i was wrong.

So in theory they could trade him before this season starts, but the wise move is to keep him. Better to keep him in the hope that he makes some of their other players look good enough to trade at the deadline. Then trade him next offseason. They could blow it up and  hope they have the worst record in the league so they could keep that pick they traded to OKC. However, it's to risky. Before the lottery changes i believe the worst team was guaranteed at least top 4 but that isn't true anymore.

12 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

two bullets dodged simultaneously!

Washington hasn't been the Bullets for a while now! :-) So does that mean Washington is re-loading?!?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

He’s a prima donna but he would give this franchise a huge boost.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-offseason-rankings-lakers-76ers-blazers-atop-list-wizards-take-risk-pistons-make-confusing-moves/

This has been going on for years. This article ranks the Magic's offseason 29th out of 30. Guys, just in case you think some of us are not fans, this crap has been going on for years. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting change. The Magic are close to being the preeminent laughingstock of the league. Not the worst run, not the worst owner, not the least desirable among players. However, extremely close to all three. At which point we are basically the Clippers before Lob City, or the Kings who have had moments without a title. Or basically the Wolves,Pelicans or Hornets, expansion teams we always thought were beneath us. Except, maybe we just had more luck with number one picks?

Now throw in the unspoken long standing Magic secret. Most players and coaches who leave the Magic, leave on terrible terms. Coaches, Players, executives, it's a pretty long history. No wonder nobody will do a fair trade with us and no wonder we get bottom of the barrel free agents. Heck, we only got Lewis and Hill because we seriously overpaid them AND did team breaking sign and trades to acquire them.

2 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Just saying.. just saying... does James Herbert from CBS count as an opinion worth worrying about?

Could bring up so many more articles, tweets,podcasts....i'm only bringing this up because i'm seriously worried we are the new Knicks. Without the history or really big city behind us.

15 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Could bring up so many more articles, tweets,podcasts....i'm only bringing this up because i'm seriously worried we are the new Knicks. Without the history or really big city behind us.

Yeah but at the same time, we didn't have a bad draft. It's a bit of a swing for the fences move. If it turns the team around ultimately it won't be too much of an issue. I get worried things won't work out but I don't think you have to worry about us being the Knicks... I mean, it's the Knicks. 

12 minutes ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Yeah but at the same time, we didn't have a bad draft. It's a bit of a swing for the fences move. If it turns the team around ultimately it won't be too much of an issue. I get worried things won't work out but I don't think you have to worry about us being the Knicks... I mean, it's the Knicks. 

This is exactly why I'm posting this. We are dangerously close the being the worst run team in the whole league. We check all the boxes. Absent owner who will spend but doesn't engage the fan or player base,very close to being sold or hated. History of bad general managers. Players leaving disgruntled, executives being fleeced,questionable player development and medical staff. Nepotistic sponsors and creative producers. Cutting loose long staying media ties. 

Seriously, checks all the boxes.

• Downvote 1

The only thing the Magic have really done right is spend, hire a few good coaches and luck into two number one HOF picks and  luck into the biggest lottery upset ever. Add Tracy McGrady being a Magic fan at just the right time. 

Without looking it up I'm guessing Tracy was a restricted free agent we seriously overbid for, congrats on possibly the one thing we ever did right.

Draft history, sucks. Player development sucks,except for the first 5 years, I was there!

Everything after that seems like dysfunction and luck! Trust me I saw it all!

I don't want to leave you hanging, but I also can't commit to saying much else either. I think some things you've said are valid. Some, I'd like to think you might be panicking just a bit too much. I am tired of waiting too, honestly. But until games start, we don't know how well we are matching up to expectations set for the current roster.

Not being a local, I know nothing of chatter about selling the team, though I've never heard that in this past decade from anywhere big or official.

I think we all need these games to start... and to take a big old breath... Hopefully in open space away from sick people lol.