Soul Bro

2020 Official Playoffs Thread

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I'd probably get kicked out of this forum if I expressed how much I like the current Miami Heat team

You need to be banned, no Magic fan should like any Heat team

• Downvote 4

9 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I'd probably get kicked out of this forum if I expressed how much I like the current Miami Heat team

That’s how our team should have been built. But we value 90s basketball instead of getting with the current  times. 2 front offices in a row that value “high character guys who can defend” and don’t seem to give a damn about putting the ball in the hoop. Newsflash for these guys: the NBA has made it easier to score and harder to defend. We need to stop this dumb philosophy. 

Meanwhile, Miami finds outrageous 3 point scoring from the G League. All while our starting 2 guard, our supposed best 3 point shooter, has completely forgotten how to play basketball. 

I really wish the devos family would just sell the team. It’s clear they aren’t interested in winning. Who’s being held accountable here? How many teams have started rebuilding when we started ours (or even after us) now have better futures than us? No one in this organization cares about results. They just care about hiring their friends. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

That’s how our team should have been built. But we value 90s basketball instead of getting with the current  times. 2 front offices in a row that value “high character guys who can defend” and don’t seem to give a damn about putting the ball in the hoop. Newsflash for these guys: the NBA has made it easier to score and harder to defend. We need to stop this dumb philosophy. 

Meanwhile, Miami finds outrageous 3 point scoring from the G League. All while our starting 2 guard, our supposed best 3 point shooter, has completely forgotten how to play basketball. 

I really wish the devos family would just sell the team. It’s clear they aren’t interested in winning. Who’s being held accountable here? How many teams have started rebuilding when we started ours (or even after us) now have better futures than us? No one in this organization cares about results. They just care about hiring their friends. 

The Heat have so many guys who can score 20 points on any given night, it's ridiculous. Meanwhile our starting shooting guard can barely break 12 points

Yes, Miami players are complete confident ballers. We do not have a single player who can drive to the basket or create a shot. Every time Fournier, Fultz, Ross others have ball in their hands it looks awkward and all fans just anticipate a turnover or an ugly shot.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Babir_9 said:

Yes, Miami players are complete confident ballers. We do not have a single player who can drive to the basket or create a shot. Every time Fournier, Fultz, Ross others have ball in their hands it looks awkward and all fans just anticipate a turnover or an ugly shot.

I noticed that too. They have trouble dribbling and passing the ball. It always seem like they are playing the game of croquet or soccer instead of basketball. Most of the time they are bunched up--not enough spacing. Also, too much over dribbling by certain players instead of making quick passes.

We always seem trapped by the Buck's defense. It makes me nervous. And as Babir said, it just looks awkward. 

Even our supposedly 'point guard of the future' looks awkward out there at times.

The TNT half time analyst, Kenny Smith--or somebody--needs to show the Magic players what they are doing wrong.

• Upvote 1

Fultz needs to concentrate on driving to the basket for layups (and getting fouled) or draw the defense to him under the basket,  then kick the ball back out to an open teammate to attempt a wide open shot.

His long-range 3 pt. shots look awkward.

A few months ago I've written here something like "outdated team with an outdated style, directed by an outdated coach", and I strongly support that idea now again. The FO is the one that accepted the kind of roster we have, that have hired the coach, and it's therefore responsable for the outated thing.

This team could have worked 20 years ago, maybe. I loved that basketball where playing in the post and technique were key, surely more than the 3p shoot contest that it's right now, but that doesn't mean that is the right choice now. Just look at every other team, and they're playing a more modern style than us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

A few months ago I've written here something like "outdated team with an outdated style, directed by an outdated coach", and I strongly support that idea now again. The FO is the one that accepted the kind of roster we have, that have hired the coach, and it's therefore responsable for the outated thing.

This team could have worked 20 years ago, maybe. I loved that basketball where playing in the post and technique were key, surely more than the 3p shoot contest that it's right now, but that doesn't mean that is the right choice now. Just look at every other team, and they're playing a more modern style than us.

Luke, I agree with everything you are saying, but it does not look like the Magic are playing like they did 20 years ago or any era. As you mentioned, 20 years ago there was a lot of posting up. I remember centers like Abdul-Jabbar, Olajuwon, Shaq, and Dwight, posted up under the basket.

Now, we have Vuch running out to the 3 pt. line in our first possession. And if there are suppose to be pick and roll plays, it seems like the Bucks prevents it from being successful. I never see Vuch dropping back or moving to the basket on a pick and roll. It seems like he doesn't want to break a nail or get hurt.

I really thought Mo did a better job with the Magic's pick and roll plays because of his length. 

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

Luke, I agree with everything you are saying, but it does not look like the Magic are playing like they did 20 years ago or any era.

You either agree about everything or not! :P

I'm joking. You're right in the sense that Vuc has developed a three point shot and plays a lot outside too, and that's not the classic post up player of 20 years ago. My comment was more directed at the team as a whole, connecting with what Mauro was saying about Miami. Other teams are eveolving every year considering the change of style. A lot of teams value shooters a lot, plays a different style and pace, etc. They target those players in the draft and in the G-League.

We seem stuck with a good but old coach, playing old and predictable schemes, focusing too much on drafting and acquiring defensive players, and we're not even that great on defense as a result. And I'm one that usually value defense over offense (I'm old style too!!!)... but you've to be really great on defense if you choose to not follow the shooters path. And we're mediocre even there, sadly.

40 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

You either agree about everything or not! :P

I'm joking. You're right in the sense that Vuc has developed a three point shot and plays a lot outside too, and that's not the classic post up player of 20 years ago. My comment was more directed at the team as a whole, connecting with what Mauro was saying about Miami. Other teams are eveolving every year considering the change of style. A lot of teams value shooters a lot, plays a different style and pace, etc. They target those players in the draft and in the G-League.

We seem stuck with a good but old coach, playing old and predictable schemes, focusing too much on drafting and acquiring defensive players, and we're not even that great on defense as a result. And I'm one that usually value defense over offense (I'm old style too!!!)... but you've to be really great on defense if you choose to not follow the shooters path. And we're mediocre even there, sadly.

Okay, I get your point, and I agree. :0