Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Looks like the luxury tax will remain about $133M this year.  Assuming Fournier and Ennis exercise their player options, and Okeke and this year's draft pick sign for 120% of their draft slot, we will have $122M committed for 12 players.  This doesn't include Augustine, MCW, Iwundu, or Clark.

Yea we don't have a lot of flexibility at all. We can probably presume that we're not going to pay the tax in the middle of a pandemic for an 8th seed at best. So we can probably take that $133m as a hard cap for us. But we don't have to be below that until the trade deadline. And we could also pay a couple of mil in tax but cover that by taking back cash in trades. 

A couple of things I think this means:

There's a decent chance we trade our second round pick in the same kind of deal we did last year (cash + a future second)

We can't keep both MCW and Augustin at non discounted prices. (Augustin has said he wants to finish his career here so maybe he takes a discount but this could be MCW's best chance at a decent pay day so I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for a long term commitment of like 3 year/$15m total)

If we use the full MLE we couldn't bring back either of MCW and Augustin and the rest of the roster would have to be minimum guys. 

I think there's a chance, a very small one, that we offer Fournier a deal where he opts out of 17 and gets a 3/45 deal. That'd give us a little bit of extra wiggle room and doesn't affect Fourniers trade value really. (I'm not avocating for this I just think it might be an option)

Another team could probably get Iwundu for anything more than the minimum. We'll know more about our plans there if we choose to extend the qualifying offer to him I guess.

Trading down could be an option in the first round if there's a deal we like. It'd save us half a million or so in cap and get us some future assets. (If someone offers a 2021 pick I'd be all over trading down) 

If Ennis opts out he's probably gone unless he's just looking for an extra year for security and not a salary improvement.

I'm presuming we're not picking up Melvin Frazier's team option.

Short of trades happening the roster won't look much different aside from the end of bench guys and the incoming rookies.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea we don't have a lot of flexibility at all. We can probably presume that we're not going to pay the tax in the middle of a pandemic for an 8th seed at best. So we can probably take that $133m as a hard cap for us. But we don't have to be below that until the trade deadline. And we could also pay a couple of mil in tax but cover that by taking back cash in trades. 

A couple of things I think this means:

There's a decent chance we trade our second round pick in the same kind of deal we did last year (cash + a future second)

We can't keep both MCW and Augustin at non discounted prices. (Augustin has said he wants to finish his career here so maybe he takes a discount but this could be MCW's best chance at a decent pay day so I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for a long term commitment of like 3 year/$15m total)

If we use the full MLE we couldn't bring back either of MCW and Augustin and the rest of the roster would have to be minimum guys. 

I think there's a chance, a very small one, that we offer Fournier a deal where he opts out of 17 and gets a 3/45 deal. That'd give us a little bit of extra wiggle room and doesn't affect Fourniers trade value really. (I'm not avocating for this I just think it might be an option)

Another team could probably get Iwundu for anything more than the minimum. We'll know more about our plans there if we choose to extend the qualifying offer to him I guess.

Trading down could be an option in the first round if there's a deal we like. It'd save us half a million or so in cap and get us some future assets. (If someone offers a 2021 pick I'd be all over trading down) 

If Ennis opts out he's probably gone unless he's just looking for an extra year for security and not a salary improvement.

I'm presuming we're not picking up Melvin Frazier's team option.

Short of trades happening the roster won't look much different aside from the end of bench guys and the incoming rookies.

Even if Fournier comes back, the only other guards we have on the roster are Fultz and Ross.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Lewis, Anthony, Maxey, or Terry in the draft.

53 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Even if Fournier comes back, the only other guards we have on the roster are Fultz and Ross.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Lewis, Anthony, Maxey, or Terry in the draft.

Yea the lack of guards suggests we will either draft a guard or make a balancing trade. I do think we'll try to keep MCW but hes more of a combo guard so we'd still need a backup PG.

Just now, CTMagicUK said:

Yea the lack of guards suggests we will either draft a guard or make a balancing trade. I do think we'll try to keep MCW but hes more of a combo guard so we'd still need a backup PG. 

I wouldn’t rule out RJ Hampton or Josh Green either. Both have upside as defenders, meet out front office’s MO and have seemingly improved their shots by a sizable margin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I love MCW but i think he earned a small paycheck from a contender during his time with us. He played well and is a perfect defensive guard to come off the bench for a playoff team.

He just hit his prime and will be cheap, so i think he is gone. 

On 11/8/2020 at 7:42 PM, LaVar said:

There is unlimited speculation. The fact is we don't let things leak. Most of our moves are done in surprise of the public. Even okeke's red shirt year took forever to find out - even after the draft. 

Most of what moves?

Part of managements job is to keep some excitement going with the fan base.  They can’t do that by never saying anything.  This is not a “top secret” military operation.  

If I don’t hear anything from them, I assume it’s because they have nothing interesting to say. 

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I love MCW but i think he earned a small paycheck from a contender during his time with us. He played well and is a perfect defensive guard to come off the bench for a playoff team.

He just hit his prime and will be cheap, so i think he is gone. 

I'm not sure but I think he's proved he's worth more than the minimum. No contender has cap room so it's how much they want to prioritize him with their MLE. Maybe they could get him for the BAE but I think we'd definitely just keep him at that price if he wanted to stay (about 2 years 7.5 million total). He probably doesn't move the needle enough to be worth a contender signing and trading for him either.

19 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

First part: I would be not that surprised given the path followed until now, but would be exactly the kind of move that I completely hate. (I know you're not rooting for it! :)  )

Second part: it's the most probable outcome, but another year of evaluating what? I just can hope that they're going to surprise me somehow...

1 minute ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I would hope it's a 3 team trade since Bledsoe's salary is about the only one close to matching, and I don't want to pay him $35M over the next 2 years

From everything I've heard Sam Amico knows nothing. I really can't see the Bucks having much use for AG. He's not a great fit with Giannis at all. 

9 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Most of what moves?

Part of managements job is to keep some excitement going with the fan base.  They can’t do that by never saying anything.  This is not a “top secret” military operation.  

If I don’t hear anything from them, I assume it’s because they have nothing interesting to say. 

The front office has done barely any moves but the ones they did was all to the surprise of the public. Fultz, okeke, al, Simmons, mcw, and Clark. I don't think they have been great, but they are always silent.

The excitement needs to be on the court. It is in the best interest of the players to not hear their name in possible deals.

I don't want moves for the sake of moves. I do think we have to take our shots to get better and move past the first round. It may mean a mini rebuild. This is the year to do it - good draft next year and isaac returning.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I would hope it's a 3 team trade since Bledsoe's salary is about the only one close to matching, and I don't want to pay him $35M over the next 2 years

Outside their 2 allstars, the bucks have nothing I want. Especially for Gordon.