Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

18 hours ago, South_Aussie_Magic said:

Yes, the reason being a heap of people do it... apparently I won't do it again :|

No problem, I didn't catch the reference and was confused - though with his health/luck, maybe his parents should have gone with Jonah ;-)

Kudos to the Magic for today's win over the Bucks. Based on today's game, many people seem to now be on board for keeping Clark and Ennis. So here is the question - who do we move on from. The following are under contract, or have player options.

1) Fultz

2) Fournier (PO), Ross

3) Isaac, Ennis (PO)

4) Gordon, Aminu

5) Vucevic, Bamba, Birch

With the CAP likely dropping due to the effects of Corona Virus limitations, I think it unlikely that either Fournier or Ennis will opt out. That means we have 10 players on the roster, and room for five more on the main roster. We will most likely have Okeke signed, and unless we trade or draft a player to stash overseas, that is two more spaces taken. That leaves three roster spots (plus two 2-Way slots) and the following players as either Free Agents or Restricted Free Agents:

Carter-Williams (FA), Augustin (FA), Iwundu (FA), Clark (RFA), Frazier, Jr. (Team Option), Law (RFA), and BJ Johnson (RFA) 

Slotting Okeke in as a 3/4 means your obvious holes for the draft and/or free agent signings are in your backcourt; backup PG and/or a combo guard. Possibly another SG/SF wing player. If you pick is the Best Player Available (most star potential?!), that may not be a fit, so I see a busy offseason ahead for the front office. 

I like the heart/hustle of MCW, I respect the heads-up play Augustin usually displays, I think Iwundu has shown a lot of drive/promise in improving his game, and I think Clark was/is a great pickup. I'm not overly impressed with Frazier, Jr. and  haven't seen enough of Law and Johnson to evaluate them. The fact that they can't get into the game in meaningful minutes means I am discounting them for anything but the 2-Way slots. 

So, who do you re-sign, and/or who do you trade?

49 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Kudos to the Magic for today's win over the Bucks. Based on today's game, many people seem to now be on board for keeping Clark and Ennis. So here is the question - who do we move on from. The following are under contract, or have player options.

1) Fultz

2) Fournier (PO), Ross

3) Isaac, Ennis (PO)

4) Gordon, Aminu

5) Vucevic, Bamba, Birch

With the CAP likely dropping due to the effects of Corona Virus limitations, I think it unlikely that either Fournier or Ennis will opt out. That means we have 10 players on the roster, and room for five more on the main roster. We will most likely have Okeke signed, and unless we trade or draft a player to stash overseas, that is two more spaces taken. That leaves three roster spots (plus two 2-Way slots) and the following players as either Free Agents or Restricted Free Agents:

Carter-Williams (FA), Augustin (FA), Iwundu (FA), Clark (RFA), Frazier, Jr. (Team Option), Law (RFA), and BJ Johnson (RFA) 

Slotting Okeke in as a 3/4 means your obvious holes for the draft and/or free agent signings are in your backcourt; backup PG and/or a combo guard. Possibly another SG/SF wing player. If you pick is the Best Player Available (most star potential?!), that may not be a fit, so I see a busy offseason ahead for the front office. 

I like the heart/hustle of MCW, I respect the heads-up play Augustin usually displays, I think Iwundu has shown a lot of drive/promise in improving his game, and I think Clark was/is a great pickup. I'm not overly impressed with Frazier, Jr. and  haven't seen enough of Law and Johnson to evaluate them. The fact that they can't get into the game in meaningful minutes means I am discounting them for anything but the 2-Way slots. 

So, who do you re-sign, and/or who do you trade?

Obviously it all depends on price. I would like to keep MCW, DJ, and Wes but only at the right price. Obviously you drop Aminu, and look for a deal for Evan

5 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Obviously it all depends on price. I would like to keep MCW, DJ, and Wes but only at the right price. Obviously you drop Aminu, and look for a deal for Evan

Who would want to deal for Evan with his awful performance today? Magic is stuck with him until Magic release him

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anfernee1 said:

Who would want to deal for Evan with his awful performance today? Magic is stuck with him until Magic release him

Generally GMs are more level-headed then fans and are evaluate based on more than three quarters of one game. For instance, they might also look at his big 3s near the end of the game when it looked like the Bucks had some momentum. They may also look at literally everything else

If Magic resigns Fournier and DJ it would be a disaster. Ok if DJ signed for the minimum as a 3rd PG but that is it. If Evan opts in then we have a great expiring contract to work with...

Hear me out on this one, could we trade Fournier for Danny Green, Kyle Kuzma and pick 28. Then flip Kuzma to the Knicks with Khem Birch for Frank Ntilikina and pick 27 (or 38 if you think 27 is too much). 

We get Danny Green, Ntilikina and picks. I probably wouldn't keep the picks I'd either trade up or trade out but I don't think thats a bad return, two guys who fit, Ntilikina could kind of be the MCW replacement if we can't afford to keep him this summer. Green is a low usage shooter with playoff experience, an expiring and potential trade bait at the deadline.

Lakers get some much needed wing scoring and shooting. 

Knicks I'm not going to lie they just seem like the kind of franchise who'd buy Kuzma as a potential star and I needed to find a team for him since we obviously can't bring him here after his comments. But they need any kind of talent, theyll probably draft a guard in the lotto making room for Ntilikina to leave.

I like it. No idea if the other teams would do it or if we could find a better deal somewhere.

EDIT: also important Danny Green has a 6'10 wingspan and Ntilikina has a 7'1 wingspan. If Weltman and Hammond read this message board they're probably on the phone to the Lakers now :') 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Hear me out on this one, could we trade Fournier for Danny Green, Kyle Kuzma and pick 28. Then flip Kuzma to the Knicks with Khem Birch for Frank Ntilikina and pick 27 (or 38 if you think 27 is too much). 

We get Danny Green, Ntilikina and picks. I probably wouldn't keep the picks I'd either trade up or trade out but I don't think thats a bad return, two guys who fit, Ntilikina could kind of be the MCW replacement if we can't afford to keep him this summer. Green is a low usage shooter with playoff experience, an expiring and potential trade bait at the deadline.

Lakers get some much needed wing scoring and shooting. 

Knicks I'm not going to lie they just seem like the kind of franchise who'd buy Kuzma as a potential star and I needed to find a team for him since we obviously can't bring him here after his comments. But they need any kind of talent, theyll probably draft a guard in the lotto making room for Ntilikina to leave.

I like it. No idea if the other teams would do it or if we could find a better deal somewhere.

EDIT: also important Danny Green has a 6'10 wingspan and Ntilikina has a 7'1 wingspan. If Weltman and Hammond read this message board they're probably on the phone to the Lakers now :') 

I think we might be able to get Ntilikina without giving up assets once his contract runs out.

But he's always been an intriguing guy for me. His defense can be All-World

31 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I think we might be able to get Ntilikina without giving up assets once his contract runs out.

But he's always been an intriguing guy for me. His defense can be All-World

It's not really much asset wise for us since we don't actually want Kuzma and we get a draft pick back. Plus Ntilikina is an RFA for us after next season in this scenario which gives us more control. But I do see your point, if the Knicks don't want him after next season he might not cost us too much to bring in. I guess it would depend how much you like him whether you trade for him now or gamble that you can get him next off-season as an FA. 

EDIT: But yea I like Frank too. Big guard. Great defensive player. His efficiency numbers are trending in the right direction and he's still only 22.

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's not really much asset wise for us since we don't actually want Kuzma and we get a draft pick back. Plus Ntilikina is an RFA for us after next season in this scenario which gives us more control. But I do see your point, if the Knicks don't want him after next season he might not cost us too much to bring in. I guess it would depend how much you like him whether you trade for him now or gamble that you can get him next off-season as an FA. 

EDIT: But yea I like Frank too. Big guard. Great defensive player. His efficiency numbers are trending in the right direction and he's still only 22.

Fournier for Green, Kuzma, and pick 28 is a decent return, but Kuzma and Birch for Ntilikina and pick 27 is a really bad overpay.

16 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Fournier for Green, Kuzma, and pick 28 is a decent return, but Kuzma and Birch for Ntilikina and pick 27 is a really bad overpay.

In which direction? I think you could argue either way depending on how you value Kuzma haha. If you think we're overpaying then I'm pretty open on what we get back for Kuzma tbh in this hypothetical, I just don't think he's a fit here nor do I think he'd be happy here considering his previous comments.