Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

2 hours ago, Natesroom said:

Name me any draft where the player taken at 15 was better then the player taken at 2? maybe 2004 Al Jefferson over Emeka Okafur... But you have a better chance of drafting a star player at 2 then 15 so the odds are more in favor of a top 4 being somethin then a 15 being somthing.

Here's every draft I could find since 2000 where pick 2 wasn't noticeably a better player than pick 15:

2004 you already mentioned

2008 - Pick 2 was Michael Beasley, pick 15 was Robin Lopez

2009 - Pick 2 was Hasheem Thabeet, Pick 15 was Austin Daye 

2011 - Pick 2 was Derrick Williams, Pick 15 was Kawhi Leonard

2012 - Pick 2 was Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Pick 15 was Maurice Harkless

2013 - Pick 2 was Victor Oladipo, Pick 15 was Giannis Antetokounmpo

6 out of 20 years, that's a fair chance of it happening. Not to mention there were a few occasions where guys taken 16-18 were better than guys picked 2. (I ultimately didn't include them here because it's dishonest to compare guys 15-18 to 2 and not to 2-5 or whatever). 

I'm aware of the idea that the best prospects get drafted earlier. But I'm saying the drop off from the top 5 to the teens in this draft isn't nearly as big as it is in previous drafts in my opinion. Especially considering the cost of moving into the top 5 from this far out is usual quite steep. 

6 hours ago, Natesroom said:

Name me any draft where the player taken at 15 was better then the player taken at 2? maybe 2004 Al Jefferson over Emeka Okafur... But you have a better chance of drafting a star player at 2 then 15 so the odds are more in favor of a top 4 being somethin then a 15 being somthing.

This presupposes any of the guys taken at the top become stars.

I’m generally a proponent of trading up, and in theory I like the idea of the trade. In this specific instance tho, I don’t think it would be a great move. I don’t expect Ball to be there, and then I guess Edwards shows the best combo of ability and athleticism to be a true star player, but he also looks a lot like Wiggins. After that you are looking at front court players who you only hope are as good as Vuc.

I think there could still be good value in trading up in this draft because of how flat it is around the top, but I don’t think this specific trade is where the value is maximized 

Rumours that training camp will start Dec 1. That's a crazy short turn around from the draft on Nov 18. We don't even have dates for free agency yet. 

On 10/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Soul Bro said:

I’m curious if the board would rather trade AG or Vooch in that scenario

Vuch because AG is younger. I just know when we trade AG. he will blow up. Vuch is more important now and Gordon is more important later. With out Evan/Vuch, Gordon will have higher usage and better numbers. 

On 10/26/2020 at 11:22 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Here's every draft I could find since 2000 where pick 2 wasn't noticeably a better player than pick 15:

2004 you already mentioned

2008 - Pick 2 was Michael Beasley, pick 15 was Robin Lopez

2009 - Pick 2 was Hasheem Thabeet, Pick 15 was Austin Daye 

2011 - Pick 2 was Derrick Williams, Pick 15 was Kawhi Leonard

2012 - Pick 2 was Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Pick 15 was Maurice Harkless

2013 - Pick 2 was Victor Oladipo, Pick 15 was Giannis Antetokounmpo

6 out of 20 years, that's a fair chance of it happening. Not to mention there were a few occasions where guys taken 16-18 were better than guys picked 2. (I ultimately didn't include them here because it's dishonest to compare guys 15-18 to 2 and not to 2-5 or whatever). 

I'm aware of the idea that the best prospects get drafted earlier. But I'm saying the drop off from the top 5 to the teens in this draft isn't nearly as big as it is in previous drafts in my opinion. Especially considering the cost of moving into the top 5 from this far out is usual quite steep. 

That is true 6 out of 20 years the #15 pick was 2 times Slam Dunk, 2 times better and 2 more times a little better - the rest were not even close. On the flip side the #2 pick was

1999 - Steve Francis #2 - Frederic Weis #15 Slam Dunk
2000 - Neither
2001 -Tyson Chandler - Steven Hunter Slam Dunk
2002 Jay Williams - Bostjan Nachbar #2 better
2003 Darko - Reece Gaines - Darko was Better
2004 15 was better
2005 2 was way Better
2006 2 was a Slam Dunk, Aldridge
2007 2 was Slam Dunk, Durant
2008 15 was better
2009 15 was Barely Better
2010 - Neither - PG was 10
2011 15 was a Slam Dunk,
2012 15 was Barely Better - 3 and 6 all stars
2013 15 was a Slam Dunk,
2014 2 was Better - #3 AllStar
2015 2 was Better - though Kelly Oubre might turn out even
2016 2 Was better almost Slam Dunk
2017 Jury still out on Lonzo
2018 Break Even maybe 2 slightly better
2019 2 was slam Dunk.

I think its safe to say a #2 pick you have 8 out of 20 slam dunk picks - 4 or 5 Way better picks and 2 a little better picks - You have almost a 50% shot at getting an allstar/legendary player at #2 and a 10% chance getting a Legendary player at 15 and a 15% chance to get a little bit better player at 15. 

Fact check that - lol!

9 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

That is true 6 out of 20 years the #15 pick was 2 times Slam Dunk, 2 times better and 2 more times a little better - the rest were not even close. On the flip side the #2 pick was

1999 - Steve Francis #2 - Frederic Weis #15 Slam Dunk
2000 - Neither
2001 -Tyson Chandler - Steven Hunter Slam Dunk
2002 Jay Williams - Bostjan Nachbar #2 better
2003 Darko - Reece Gaines - Darko was Better
2004 15 was better
2005 2 was way Better
2006 2 was a Slam Dunk, Aldridge
2007 2 was Slam Dunk, Durant
2008 15 was better
2009 15 was Barely Better
2010 - Neither - PG was 10
2011 15 was a Slam Dunk,
2012 15 was Barely Better - 3 and 6 all stars
2013 15 was a Slam Dunk,
2014 2 was Better - #3 AllStar
2015 2 was Better - though Kelly Oubre might turn out even
2016 2 Was better almost Slam Dunk
2017 Jury still out on Lonzo
2018 Break Even maybe 2 slightly better
2019 2 was slam Dunk.

I think its safe to say a #2 pick you have 8 out of 20 slam dunk picks - 4 or 5 Way better picks and 2 a little better picks - You have almost a 50% shot at getting an allstar/legendary player at #2 and a 10% chance getting a Legendary player at 15 and a 15% chance to get a little bit better player at 15. 

Fact check that - lol!

Fact check what? You asked a question and I answered it.

The thing you have to remember is we're not talking about pick 15 Vs pick 2 in a random draft. Obviously knowing nothing about the draft class I would never say "pick 15 can get you a comparable player to pick 2" but given I know a lot about the draft class I feel comfortable saying that. 

[Windhorst] (Lakers) There’s a deal out there for them for another guard. That would be interesting. I’ll see if they actually go forward with it. It’s a guard on the last year of his contract who was great last year for his team and that team may be looking to move him. That would be interesting.

Could be Fournier? 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

[Windhorst] (Lakers) There’s a deal out there for them for another guard. That would be interesting. I’ll see if they actually go forward with it. It’s a guard on the last year of his contract who was great last year for his team and that team may be looking to move him. That would be interesting.

Could be Fournier? 

What’s the offer?