Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

13 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

I can’t believe we’re making this big of a deal about Dante. He is not a player that’s going to move the needle at all. Yikes 

Move the needle? No idea. Worth a shot by moving back in the first round? I believe so. To me this is the kind of buy low candidate that our fans have always desired. Dante’s advanced stats are great and the Bucks will be desperate to improve their roster. In Dante I see a guy who could develop into a FVV role.

Agree, I don't think that anyone was discussing Dante (or other rotation players) thinking that those are moves that are going to change the direction of the franchise.

At the same time, having good players signed with low-salary contracts and manage assets (picks) wisely are the basics to have a successfull franchise. Then you can move them for top players, or just keep them and have good rotationa players for cheap.

I don't know if Dante has to be discussed in this category, but that's definitely the way our FO should have followed in those last 3 years, IMO.

Any time a team fails to live up to expectations, there will inevitably be scapegoats. Fair or unfair, one of the players getting a ton of the blame for Milwaukee’s postseason shortcomings is Eric Bledsoe. In the series closeout game against Miami, the Bucks starting point guard managed to score just 9 points. Fans across the internet as well as commentators on TV had called for Milwaukee to move on from Bledsoe. If that happens, DiVincenzo will be asked to take on an even bigger role next season, as a veteran guard whose already familiar with the offense.

One of the ways Donte has shown he can contribute is as an outside shooter who’s capable of stretching the floor. With their best player being one who’s greatest offensive strength is driving to the basket, outside shooting is very important to the Milwaukee Bucks. As a rookie, DiVincenzo shot just 26.5 percent from 3-point land.

However, he made a huge improvement in his second season, improving that percentage to 33.6 percent. Generally, 40 percent is seen as the benchmark of an elite 3-point shooter. At the rate he’s currently on, DiVincenzo is on pace to hit that mark next season. Coach Mike Budenholzer showed confidence in him when he gave him the starting nod in Game 5 against the Heat. That could become a regular occurrence next season.

Having almost doubled his scoring average from his rookie season to his last year and improving his 3-point percentage, Donte DiVincenzo has proven he’s a player on the rise. Although this year’s postseason results were disappointing, there’s no doubt expectations are still high in Milwaukee. Whether there are roster changes or not this offseason, all signs point to DiVincenzo playing a bigger role in the Bucks’ upcoming campaign. If history is any indicator, he’ll be up for the challenge.

https://hoopshabit.com/2020/09/26/milwaukee-bucks-donte-divincenzo-role/

Swapping Birch from a crowded frontcourt and moving down 9 spots in a weak draft seems like a small price to pay for a wing with potential.  At the least he'd bring some scoring to the second unit.

5 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Move the needle? No idea. Worth a shot by moving back in the first round? I believe so. To me this is the kind of buy low candidate that our fans have always desired. Dante’s advanced stats are great and the Bucks will be desperate to improve their roster. In Dante I see a guy who could develop into a FVV role.

I liked DiVincenzo when he came into the NBA, and I still do. I'm just not sure that he is worth Birch AND moving back nine spots in the draft. I'm also not convinced that Bamba is ready to be the full-time backup at the center, so this would mean either picking up another free-agent center, or using the #24 pick for another big. I also think that means moving down another "tier" in the draft. There are arguably a group of 9-10 guys that could be picked anywhere between pick #13 and pick #20, and yes, you might get lucky and pick up the guy you like at #24, but you are much more likely to get him at #15. This move really only makes sense to me if there is someone you like that is already projected as a late first/early second round guy that you are sure will be there at #24 - or if there isn't anyone you really like that is likely to be available outside the top 10. 

On 9/29/2020 at 12:53 PM, jmmagicfan said:

I liked DiVincenzo when he came into the NBA, and I still do. I'm just not sure that he is worth Birch AND moving back nine spots in the draft. I'm also not convinced that Bamba is ready to be the full-time backup at the center, so this would mean either picking up another free-agent center, or using the #24 pick for another big. I also think that means moving down another "tier" in the draft. There are arguably a group of 9-10 guys that could be picked anywhere between pick #13 and pick #20, and yes, you might get lucky and pick up the guy you like at #24, but you are much more likely to get him at #15. This move really only makes sense to me if there is someone you like that is already projected as a late first/early second round guy that you are sure will be there at #24 - or if there isn't anyone you really like that is likely to be available outside the top 10. 

I agree. I would rather trade up or take a playmaker. In order, T. Terry, C. Anderson, and K. Lewis , I am eyeballing.  If we trade up, it is for Ball or Edwards. Though, I like ball. I dont think he fits what management wants. He is really bad on defense and may have character issues that they dont normally like in players. ball also does not fit well next to fultz. (shooting) 

1 hour ago, LaVar said:

I agree. I would rather trade up or take a playmaker. In order, T. Terry, C. Anderson, and K. Lewis , I am eyeballing.  If we trade up, it is for Ball or Edwards. Though, I like ball. I dont think he fits what management wants. He is really bad on defense and may have character issues that they dont normally like in players. ball also does not fit well next to fultz. (shooting) 

I have heard some good things about the work RJ Hampton has put in over the summer, and yet his stock seems to keep dropping. 

Always liked him, his recent health is worrysome but at the same time makes him a buy low condidate. But those considerations are for contending teams, I don't really think that the Magic has an use for him right now, except considering him an expiring contract if they finally decide to drop some long term weight.

As for the trade proposal above, while I could get the desire to have Dipo back and close the circle on that Fournier error, I see an health problem here too, and it's unfortunate for him because he was really blossoming before that. Also, we have already too many bigs, I would consider Turner only if there're other trades to reshape the center position.

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

What are the forums thoughts on Gordon Hayward? Also, what do you think his market is? 

I think he’d be a great vet to help build a winning culture in Orlando, similar to Dragic in Miami.