Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

23 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

The biggest problem with Evan is the same the last 3 years. We have neither drafted a clear replacement, nor have we traded for one, unless you count Ross.

Management could easily see a cheaper Evan as better then no Evan, and they would be right to a certain degree. I could get behind a 12 million dollars a year Evan, for a very simple reason. At that price he is an asset. He is still young, and he can hit 3's and also handle the ball a little bit. Plus he is 6'7.  In fact i think the most likely thing we do in the off season is sign Evan and offer Fultz an extension, no other changes except maybe getting Dj or MCW back. 

So my super early prediction. resign Evan, for what i hope will be a 4 year 50 million dollar contract but i think is closer to 62.

Extend Fultz to a similar contract as Aaron Gordon also keep Gordon. Wait to extend Isaac, nobody is going to offer him a poison pill contract.

I really hope we trade him but a 4 year 50 million deal would be a deal easy enough to trade at any point in the future so I wouldn't be aggrieved by it. 

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

I really hope we trade him but a 4 year 50 million deal would be a deal easy enough to trade at any point in the future so I wouldn't be aggrieved by it. 

Exactly, because honestly of all the bad contracts given out the year Evan signed he honestly is the one most likely to opt out. If you look around at all the others those players have no shot to get that money back. Evan can go out and get a 50 million dollar deal from someone.Not Batum,Porter,Drummond...etc. I figured if he opted out it would be about wanting to leave Orlando, but the house rumor has me perplexed.

Q: @saulo_marti -- Major targets with 1st pick package: Ben Simmons, Pascal Siakam, John Collins + Kevin Huerter, Jaylen Brown, Caris LeVert, Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter Jr. - Aaron Gordon, Bradley Beal or John Wall -- which is most realistic?
A: This question covers most of the questions I got, which is some variation of all of these (throw Devin Booker in there, too) players being available via trade for the No. 1 pick. We’ll be pondering questions like this for weeks, maybe months. Aaron Gordon would seem to make the most sense positionally for the Wolves with how they want to play and what the Wolves are missing – a forward with a decent defensive pedigree. There were rumors the Magic might be looking to unload his contract, which would have two more years on it and about $34.5 million. How serious are they? I suppose we’ll find out.

The two other names that are intriguing to me – Caris LeVert and Victor Oladipo. LeVert makes a lot of sense to me for the Wolves. He has gotten better each year of his career, has familiarity with assistant coach Pablo Prigioni who used to coach LeVert in Brooklyn and he’s co-existed successfully already in an offense with D’Angelo Russell. He’ll also be making less than the max over the next three years (around $53 million total). The Nets aren’t going to need much scoring alongside Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, so maybe there’s a deal out there the Nets would be willing to make.

The only thing that concerns me is next year the Nets are going to be in win-now mode. They may not want to wait for a pick to develop into a potential star. The clock will be ticking on their championship window. So what does that deal look like? It might have to involve a third team to contribute a complementary player who is a better fit for the Nets alongside Irving and Durant than LeVert is in order to grab that No. 1 pick from the Wolves. The Wolves might also have to say goodbye to a Josh Okogie or Jarrett Culver in a deal like that, or any deal like this for that matter.

There are rumblings about Oladipo’s availability. He’d be more expensive than LeVert and is going to require an extension after this season, possibly a max extension, which would stretch the Wolves’ books against whatever the salary cap will be. But Oladipo fits the mold of superstar player the Wolves and President Gersson Rosas want to be aggressive in acquiring. I’d rule nothing out when it comes to this front office. Well, except maybe the Booker stuff, as the next question asks.

https://www.startribune.com/mailbag-realistic-targets-if-wolves-decide-to-trade-no-1-overall-pick/572359772/?refresh=true

Be interesting to know if we are open to trading AG and who's shown interest. Best case for us is both the Wolves and Warriors are really interested. Get a bidding war going. 

Saying that though I think it's more likely we don't trade AG than we do. 

The thing is I really don't like Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman and I'm not confident Avdija, Okoro, Vassell, Okongwu, Toppin etc will be better players than AG is so I'm hesitant to get excited about the possibility of us somehow winding up with a top 2 pick.

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Be interesting to know if we are open to trading AG and who's shown interest. Best case for us is both the Wolves and Warriors are really interested. Get a bidding war going. 

Saying that though I think it's more likely we don't trade AG than we do. 

The thing is I really don't like Anthony Edwards or James Wiseman and I'm not confident Avdija, Okoro, Vassell, Okongwu, Toppin etc will be better players than AG is so I'm hesitant to get excited about the possibility of us somehow winding up with a top 2 pick.

Yeah it's a catch 22. I really like the guys in this draft with lower ceilings but higher floors. Players like Vassell, Okongwu, Nesmith. I feel like the forwards and wings in this draft have less bust potential but less upside. So if we draft a mediocre forward it's same old same old when we really need scoring guards. I have serious doubts about  most of the guards, although if we had the number 1 pick i think  we would have no choice, draft Edwards.

25 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah it's a catch 22. I really like the guys in this draft with lower ceilings but higher floors. Players like Vassell, Okongwu, Nesmith. I feel like the forwards and wings in this draft have less bust potential but less upside. So if we draft a mediocre forward it's same old same old when we really need scoring guards. I have serious doubts about  most of the guards, although if we had the number 1 pick i think  we would have no choice, draft Edwards.

Personally I'd draft Lamelo but that's a whole other conversation. 

On 9/9/2020 at 5:05 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Just seen Evan Fournier bought a $3 million house in the Orlando area. That doesn't bode well for the hope that we don't extend him... Although maybe he'll still use it as a second home in the summer. 

Could be for tax purposes.  He should try to keep a residence in Florida no matter where he plays if he’s able to.  Law requires him to live here at least 6 months per year to establish residence, and I’m not sure how that would apply to a pro athlete who’s traveling constantly but could return periodically even during the season.  State income taxes in other states would cost someone like him millions.