Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

Been reading a few articles stating the Magic should have a look at Buddy Hield for a sign and trade. Any chance our team looks into this? 

7 hours ago, s1n1st3r12 said:

Been reading a few articles stating the Magic should have a look at Buddy Hield for a sign and trade. Any chance our team looks into this? 

Hield has already signed an extension so it would be a straight up trade. Looking at the two rosters I think a trade might be difficult. Vuc for Hield + filler works but I doubt we do that. Then you're looking at like Fournier + Aminu for Hield + filler which I doubt Sac do unless they're really ready to give up on Buddy. We'd probably have to throw in a pick or two which makes it less enticing. 

Really not sure how it's both viable and a good trade for us although that's probably because I'm not a huge Buddy fan at all. Others would probably happily throw in pick 15 in that Fournier trade. 

Just listened to the Weltman exit interview. Definitely sounds like he's high on Augustin. Can see him trying to bring him back if the money is right for us. (I actually have a feeling a contender will out bid us on DJ. If I was the Lakers for example id definitely be thinking about a PG who can catch and shoot for LeBron and run PnR with AD when LeBron is off the floor.)

He was also very bullish when asked about the league moving away from traditional centers. He said both our centers can stretch the floor and Vuc in particular is a highly skilled all star not some lumbering guy who only bangs down low and he said "I can tell you we've fielded a lot of calls from those teams (teams that are going small at the 5) about our two guys"

Sounded very hopeful about both Fultz and Okeke. 

Confirmed Isaac was out all of next season. 

Fournier didn't get a single mention in the whole 20+ mins. Was disappointed none of the reporters asked about the situation with him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the recap as I haven't listened to it, but unfortunately that sounds as "we're going to mantain our mediocrity again" :(

I would consider the Hield for Vuc move for sure (Hield is younger, on a decreasing contract too, good% on 3's, plays the right role for the actual NBA...), but if Sac hasn't done that with Divac at the helm, I doubt that they will in the future. It's also the kind of move that our FO isn't probably going to consider.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Just listened to the Weltman exit interview. Definitely sounds like he's high on Augustin. Can see him trying to bring him back if the money is right for us. (I actually have a feeling a contender will out bid us on DJ. If I was the Lakers for example id definitely be thinking about a PG who can catch and shoot for LeBron and run PnR with AD when LeBron is off the floor.)

He was also very bullish when asked about the league moving away from traditional centers. He said both our centers can stretch the floor and Vuc in particular is a highly skilled all star not some lumbering guy who only bangs down low and he said "I can tell you we've fielded a lot of calls from those teams (teams that are going small at the 5) about our two guys"

Sounded very hopeful about both Fultz and Okeke. 

Confirmed Isaac was out all of next season. 

Fournier didn't get a single mention in the whole 20+ mins. Was disappointed none of the reporters asked about the situation with him.

Any mention of AG?

9 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Any mention of AG?

Not really in any "trade" talk. He kind of came up with regards to the injuries the team suffered down the stretch (paraphrasing from memory) "when we signed Farouq it was described by some as a 'logjam' but we felt there was enough positional versatility to make it work... And we ultimately ended up with all 3 guys injured for the playoffs"

And then it was brought up how hard it was for AG not playing in the playoffs (again paraphrasing from memory) "he'd have played with one leg if we'd let him... But he just never got quite to the point where we felt comfortable playing him" 

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not really in any "trade" talk. He kind of came up with regards to the injuries the team suffered down the stretch (paraphrasing from memory) "when we signed Farouq it was described by some as a 'logjam' but we felt there was enough positional versatility to make it work... And we ultimately ended up with all 3 guys injured for the playoffs"

And then it was brought up how hard it was for AG not playing in the playoffs (again paraphrasing from memory) "he'd have played with one leg if we'd let him... But he just never got quite to the point where we felt comfortable playing him" 

Gotcha. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

If we keep Vooch, there’s no way we’re going for a hard reset. My gut says we try and trade Gordon and Fournier (if he opts in). 

Agreed. I feel that Vuc’s value is never going to be higher than it is now so if we’re going to trade him it would be between the end of the season and the trade deadline.

Perhaps the front office is willing to take a step back and chalk the 2019-20 season as an anomaly. Because of the pandemic and the injuries to multiple key players, maybe they’re willing to run it back with roughly the same team in 2020-21. However, I find a hard time believing this is a roster that hasn’t topped out.

Logistically, the Magic actually have pieces on their roster that would hold value around the league. Starting with arguably their top piece, there are many teams that would jump at the opportunity to trade for Nikola Vucevic.

Vuc is still only 29 years old and is coming off the second-best statistical season of his career – averaging 20 points, 11 rebounds, and four assists per game on 48 percent shooting from the field and 34 percent shooting from 3-point range.

He’s under contract through 2022-23, but only on the books for $22 million during that final season. For what he can do on the basketball floor, he’s affordable for any team that’s looking for a frontcourt offensive force.

The same could be said about Aaron Gordon, who will be an expiring contract after the 2021-22 season. He’s only due $18 and $16 million over the next two seasons, respectively, and is just 24 years old. He would likely benefit the most from a fresh, new start and could be the player that would net the Magic the biggest return on the open market.

After the Magic’s big two, Orlando could look to move veteran Terrence Ross and/or one of their two young, promising prospects Jonathan Isaac or Mo Bamba if they wanted to push the envelope more. However, that seems unlikely, especially with Isaac’s recent injury.

When you hear about the Magic “blowing it up” it generally deals with moving Vucevic and Gordon. After that, it’s a tossup. One player we haven’t discussed thus far is Evan Fournier. He can opt-out of his final year with the Magic to hit the free agency market this summer. Should he do so, I don’t imagine Orlando re-signing him. Especially if they’re going to pivot in any way.

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2020/08/31/orlando-magic-change-inevitable-2021/

It's all relative, just a few seasons ago, the Heat had at least 2 or 3 bad contracts. They had just lost two old Hall of Famers, one they had to convince to retire, one that wouldn't retire. It took Riley about 2 and a half seasons to completely turn over the roster. Other teams that almost completely turned over the roster in the last 3 years:

Pacers,Knicks,Thunder,Rockets,Dallas,Clippers,Memphis,New Orleans,Lakers and to a lesser extent, Suns,Jazz,Kings and Minnesota.

I know people are going to say half those teams had a star to trade, or got lucky with a draft pick or something like that. I know some of you will say some of those teams were not succesful. Trust me, all of these teams were either forced to change or were proactive about it. Time to stop just hoping to get lucky. Serious how long has AG,Evan and Vucevic played here and in all those years where are the undrafted or second round players every other team comes up with to even challenge the starters for minutes.We can't even get the Alec Burkes of the world, or get lucky with a landry Shamet. We don't need world beaters but like someone else said i'm tired of projects.