Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

He's kind of got no choice with Cole. We literally cleared the way for him to get real minutes by letting DJ go and not bringing any other PGs in. 

You've a point obviously, but that's not actually a coach choice to give time&faith to the young core, it's more like being forced to give them those minutes.
We'll see what happen, I can easily envision MCW getting all the backup minutes at point guard, and Okeke would be another interesting situation, he has actually almost assured minutes with Isaac+Aminu+Ross out, but how many he'll get?

I'm not sure where the idea Cliff doesn't play the younger players comes from.

Rookie Cody Zeller was 6th on the roster in total minutes.

Rookie Frank Kaminsky also 6th on his roster in total minutes.

Rookie Malik Monk had to compete with Batum, Lamb and Kemba for minutes and still played 13mpg. Rookie Dwayne Bacon played 13mpg that season also.

Mo Bamba was a massive project who got injured midway through the season and still played 16mpg and nearly 800 total mins as a rookie.

Jonathan Isaac played 26mpg in his second season. Wes Iwundu played 18mpg in his second season. 

It's not like he's ever had a rookie so talented he was being an idiot not giving them more minutes either. Cody Zeller might actually be the best player he coached when they were a rookie. (Hopefully to be replaced by 1 or all of Cole, Okeke and maybe Bamba)

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Rookie Malik Monk had to compete with Batum, Lamb and Kemba for minutes and still played 13mpg. Rookie Dwayne Bacon played 13mpg that season also.

Mo Bamba was a massive project who got injured midway through the season and still played 16mpg and nearly 800 total mins as a rookie.

Jonathan Isaac played 26mpg in his second season. Wes Iwundu played 18mpg in his second season. 

It's not like he's ever had a rookie so talented he was being an idiot not giving them more minutes either. Cody Zeller might actually be the best player he coached when they were a rookie. (Hopefully to be replaced by 1 or all of Cole, Okeke and maybe Bamba)

Also, Fultz was almost a rookie (for all intents and purposes) last year, and he averaged almost 28mpg and started 60 games. Granted it was technically his third season, but remember it was his first with the Magic, and he only played 33 games in his two years in Philly. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Thank you for the stats! I never understood why people had that idea of Cliff. He gives young guys lots of minutes.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:16 PM, CTMagicUK said:

Rookie CodyZeller played all 82 games, so the total minutes stat is very gentle with him, compared to other players that has absences. Actually, minute per game, he was just 11th in the team.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHA/2014.html

Rookie Frank Kaminski, same story, he played 81 games, but he was only 9th in minute per game.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHO/2016.html

Monk was 11 again.

Three examples of rotational players (used less than other 9/10 players on the team) in 5 years of tenure are not exactly convincing me, there could be some situation in which he just needed to play those kind of guys (and he'll probably play Okeke and Cole out of necessity), but since he's in Orlando, we've clearly seen a few things:

- he's not going to bench or reduce the minutes of the more expert players to give more minutes to younger ones, even when there was a clear evidence that they were playing better.

- it's not only about minutes, but roles too. Nothing suggest he's ready to give more responsability to the young core.

- he plays an old style system that doesn't exactly fit the strenght of our young core.

BTW, I've absolutely nothing against him, I've repeated that one million times, I actually like him as a person, and it's surely a good coach (he could be an hell of defensive assistant that focus only on that side of the game). He's doing exactly what management ask. Just don't like the fit/target/mediocrity thing.