Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

22 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Well, including the playoffs since we drafted JI he’s played 141 games. Assuming he misses the entire season this year, we will have played a total of 318 games since drafting him. So, that’s 44% of games played during his rookie contract. He has no leverage at all at this point. It’s not even like he had an injured start and made it back and looked healthy, he’s had different injuries repeatedly. I’m extremely hesitant to offer him anything.

His leverage is there are other teams who'll pay him if we dont. Because his health is a major issue but someone will probably still pay him 15m a season just on the hope he can play 70 games a season of elite defense. 

3 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m fairly certain that if we extend Isaac now, we would not be able to get insurance on his contract. Someone can check me on that. 

preexisting conditions is not something that indemnity companies want. The assurances we would have to be written into the salaried contract via bonus on games  played and mins. 

30 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m fairly certain that if we extend Isaac now, we would not be able to get insurance on his contract. Someone can check me on that. 

I didn't know about this. Basically guarantees we won't be signing him until next summer.

3 hours ago, LaVar said:

I agree. The issue is that the talent is undeniable, and we are deprived of talent. 

As to giving JI lots of money when he is up to be re-signed-

If you desperately needed a great car, would you be OK with buying one that has a track record of being broken down more than half the time but runs amazing the rest of the time?

1 minute ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

If you desperately needed a car, would you be OK with buying one that has a track record of being broken down more than half the time but runs amazing the rest of the time?

I think that is the wrong scenario. If you spent a lot of money on a car. It is your favorite car and you can not offered a new one. Plus, you are not in a position to acquire a different one. What do you do?

So barring any trades, this is pretty much our team for next season:

PG) Fultz/Anthonly/Carter-Williams

SG) Fournier/Ross/Bacon

SF) Ennis/Okeke/Isaac(i)

PF) Gordon/Aminu/Clark

C) Vucevic/Bamba/Birch

We have reportedly signed Kasim Mane to a 2-way contract, so we have one more of those to fill. My guess would be BJ Johnson might get that, but we will see.  Guesstimating that Ennis is going to get $3 - 3.5M, and that MCW is going to get $4 -4.5M, that puts us between $1.5 -2.5M under the luxury tax threshold.

I know that the team has applied for an injured player exception of about $3.68M for Isaac, but unless they make a trade to open up space under the tax-line, I don't see them using it. The fact that they have applied for it at all does indicate to me that there may still be some talks going on to make a trade; and they want that extra exception if it comes about. I would guess something where we would be sending out two players, but only getting one back, and cutting $2 - 2.5M in salary would open up both a roster space and luxury tax-line space to use the $3.68M injured player exception. (Edit) Sending out one player for a future draft pick would also work - maybe Khem Birch to Detroit - I hear they are collecting centers right now? Seriously though, someone in the market for a cheap, serviceable backup center might be interested in Khem.

I'm not sure how much of the MLE is still available, as I'm not sure if re-signing MCW, Ennis, or Clark counted against it. I think MCW and Ennis might, but I don't think Clark does, as he was a restricted free agent and we did make his qualifying offer.  

17 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

SG) Fournier/Ross/Bacon

SF) Ennis/Okeke/Isaac(i)

PF) Gordon/Aminu/Clark

C) Vucevic/Bamba/Birch

We have reportedly signed Kasim Mane to a 2-way contract, so we have one more of those to fill. My guess would be BJ Johnson might get that, but we will see.  Guesstimating that Ennis is going to get $3 - 3.5M, and that MCW is going to get $4 -4.5M, that puts us between $1.5 -2.5M under the luxury tax threshold.

I know that the team has applied for an injured player exception of about $3.68M for Isaac, but unless they make a trade to open up space under the tax-line, I don't see them using it. The fact that they have applied for it at all does indicate to me that there may still be some talks going on to make a trade; and they want that extra exception if it comes about. I would guess something where we would be sending out two players, but only getting one back, and cutting $2 - 2.5M in salary would open up both a roster space and luxury tax-line space to use the $3.68M injured player exception. (Edit) Sending out one player for a future draft pick would also work - maybe Khem Birch to Detroit - I hear they are collecting centers right now? Seriously though, someone in the market for a cheap, serviceable backup center might be interested in Khem.

I'm not sure how much of the MLE is still available, as I'm not sure if re-signing MCW, Ennis, or Clark counted against it. I think MCW and Ennis might, but I don't think Clark does, as he was a restricted free agent and we did make his qualifying offer.  

There's a chance we still have the full MLE if we used early bird rights for MCW and Ennis.

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

SG) Fournier/Ross/Bacon

SF) Ennis/Okeke/Isaac(i)

PF) Gordon/Aminu/Clark

C) Vucevic/Bamba/Birch

it is always good to have a 4th pg for the 2 way. especially with to pgs with injury history. 

5 hours ago, LaVar said:

I think that is the wrong scenario. If you spent a lot of money on a car. It is your favorite car and you can not offered a new one. Plus, you are not in a position to acquire a different one. What do you do?

I've actually been in that exact situation. I kept searching until I found a way to trade it in for one that I did not like near as much but I could depend on to get me to work and back EVERY day. The car that I loved so much had a lot of miles and actually died the same week I traded it in. After 1 year I was able to trade the car I didn't like as much for 1 that I really loved :D
Using that comparison with the Isaac new contract situation we will have the choice on how much to offer. Based on his health issues I would NOT give him a big contract. He is a great player but very injury prone. You have to wonder which injury is going to end his career? The next one, the one after that? Too much of a gamble for me. I would rather have someone not quite as good but much more durable than pay him a lot to play 40% of the time.

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

SG) Fournier/Ross/Bacon

SF) Ennis/Okeke/Isaac(i)

PF) Gordon/Aminu/Clark

C) Vucevic/Bamba/Birch

This is really good info. I think we need Khem, though. Especially with Bamba recovering from COVID, we don't know if he can play 18 minutes a game.