Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

39 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Even if all that ends up being true, unless Fultz is the best player in the league (he isn’t) it still isn’t a team that can actually compete for a championship. 

But it would encourage free agents to come and make us exciting. It would be the first major building block. Therefore, it would give a true foundation to build on.

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Excellent post, well thought out and expressed.  I would have added a plus one if I hadn’t already used up all of mine.  I do have the following questions/comments:

1.  Why did you put Clark in the “guys who can shoot” category?   He was a mediocre shooter last year.  

2.  One of the knocks on Vuch is that he’s relatively slow (because of his size, not an effort thing) and that for him to be effective, the offense has to run through him.  How does that help Fultz?   I would think it would hinder him.  

3. I didn’t understand the Duncan Robinson comment above.  Did he actually come from a tree?

1. Gary Clark's volume of 3 point shots for a PF at league average effeciency still provides real spacing especially against bench units. But I take your point I did think he was a slightly better shooter percentage wise than that.

2. I don't think the offense has to run through Vuc for him to be effective. He can shoot spot ups, pick and pop, offensive rebound, deep seal smaller guys etc in the flow of an offense that doesn't run through him. The offense probably does need to run through him some though because I don't think Fultz can be expected to shoulder all the scoring. Like I say I think in an ideal world we have a wing scorer who can shoot being the number 1 option but those guys are the most sort after archetype in the league.

3. The Heat found Duncan Robinson out of nowhere as an undrafted free agent was all I was alluding to.

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Even if all that ends up being true, unless Fultz is the best player in the league (he isn’t) it still isn’t a team that can actually compete for a championship. 

Of course not. There are a lot of levels of good team between an 8th seed in a bad conference losing in 5 games and a championship. But if Fultz is a star (which I'm not trying to down play - that is obviously a very big IF) we'll have at least another 4 years after this one to figure out how to go from being a middling team with a star PG to a real contender. 

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Right. I’d try to sign him to something similar to what Steph got after his rookie deal. 4 for 40, but that’s still super risky for both sides

I honestly think we're in a really difficult position with Isaac. If we lowball him and he signs the QO and plays out of his mind we lose him for nothing. If we low ball him and he's underpaid for 3 of the 4 years he might be unhappy about it and leave when the time comes. If we give him 15+ mil a season it might end up being a real albatross for us if he's not healthy. It's difficult because if he doesn't have these injuries he's 100% getting a 20mil salary on an extension or as an RFA. Now though that'd be a hard to swallow for a guy who's never played 82 games. 

Something like 4 years 56 million with a 4th year player option might wind up being the middle ground. 

Fultz is also an interesting one to me. I can't for the life of me predict how that works out. 

With both guys I wouldn't be surprised if we announce extensions tonight. I also wouldn't be surprised if they enter RFA next summer.

When we drafted Isaac I loved the potential that came with him, but was very vocal about the possibility of him being injured a lot. So far he has been and you can't put a lot of money into extending someone that doesn't play more often than they do. 

17 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I honestly think we're in a really difficult position with Isaac. If we lowball him and he signs the QO and plays out of his mind we lose him for nothing. If we low ball him and he's underpaid for 3 of the 4 years he might be unhappy about it and leave when the time comes. If we give him 15+ mil a season it might end up being a real albatross for us if he's not healthy. It's difficult because if he doesn't have these injuries he's 100% getting a 20mil salary on an extension or as an RFA. Now though that'd be a hard to swallow for a guy who's never played 82 games. 

Something like 4 years 56 million with a 4th year player option might wind up being the middle ground. 

Fultz is also an interesting one to me. I can't for the life of me predict how that works out. 

With both guys I wouldn't be surprised if we announce extensions tonight. I also wouldn't be surprised if they enter RFA next summer.

Yeah, I could see a 1 + 1 with a team option at like $12 - $15 mill a year being settling ground for JI. No idea either about Markelle

12 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, I could see a 1 + 1 with a team option at like $12 - $15 mill a year being settling ground for JI. No idea either about Markelle

I think the lower the term the higher the dollar amount we pay. Therefore, if we put a 1 + 1 team option. It would probably be 17 or higher mil per year. If we do 12- 15 mil. It would be a longer term like 3 or 4 years with a player option. His signing will be tricky because the most important thing a player provides is availability and he has not provided that to us. He has the most talent on the team, but if he cant stay on the court; it is pointless. The magic should learn from our past experience with grant hill. They better not break the bank on Isaac, without him showing signs of being available. No matter how much I like Isaac, if I am honest, his injuries has cost us since he has been on the team. A healthy Isaac would have changed the trajectory of past seasons and playoffs. As of now, we can not count on Isaac. 

29 minutes ago, LaVar said:

I think the lower the term the higher the dollar amount we pay. Therefore, if we put a 1 + 1 team option. It would probably be 17 or higher mil per year. If we do 12- 15 mil. It would be a longer term like 3 or 4 years with a player option. His signing will be tricky because the most important thing a player provides is availability and he has not provided that to us. He has the most talent on the team, but if he cant stay on the court; it is pointless. The magic should learn from our past experience with grant hill. They better not break the bank on Isaac, without him showing signs of being available. No matter how much I like Isaac, if I am honest, his injuries has cost us since he has been on the team. A healthy Isaac would have changed the trajectory of past seasons and playoffs. As of now, we can not count on Isaac. 

Well, including the playoffs since we drafted JI he’s played 141 games. Assuming he misses the entire season this year, we will have played a total of 318 games since drafting him. So, that’s 44% of games played during his rookie contract. He has no leverage at all at this point. It’s not even like he had an injured start and made it back and looked healthy, he’s had different injuries repeatedly. I’m extremely hesitant to offer him anything.

Just now, All Eyes On Me said:

Well, including the playoffs since we drafted JI he’s played 141 games. Assuming he misses the entire season this year, we will have played a total of 328 games since drafting him. So, that’s 44% of games played during his rookie contract. He has no leverage at all at this point. It’s not even like he had an injured start and made it back and looked healthy, he’s had different injuries repeatedly. I’m extremely hesitant to offer him anything.

I agree. The issue is that the talent is undeniable, and we are deprived of talent.