Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Vuc, Gordon, Isaac, Fournier, Ross and Birch may be the only long termers but they played the large majority of the minutes.   WeltHam may have changed much of the team but mostly the moves have consisted of changing out one inconsequential player for another.  No credit for that from my standpoint.  

There does not appear to be any long term vision for making the team better.  

I hope we see something significant out of Okeke or Cole because otherwise not only will we be worse than last year, but we’ll be even more boring.  Our lack of offense is pitiful.  

Couldn't agree more! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Two reflections:

1. Raise your hand if you’re just glad our future doesn’t hinge on Elfrid Payton. [Soul raises hand]. Thank goodness that experiment is long gone.

2. Count me as one who still believes our future centers around developing talent vs. trading for it. We need one or more of our young guys to take that leap, be it Fultz, Anthony or Okeke. Will one of them (or someone else) become the next Mitchell or Murray?

It's not about trading for talent. It's about trading the guys who are not apart of the future and are hindering the potential of the other guys.

Mitchell and Murray were afforded the ability to take over and be the guy. So long as Vuch and Fournier are here that won't be happening. 

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Trading players at deadline???  Hahahahaha. 

Said every dam year, and then reality shows up with nothing, nada, zilch.

Weltman: “I like this team”.

Eighth seed just feels warm and fuzzy

I’m with you man. This front office is just bad and lazy. 

5 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Iwundu to Dallas on a minimum deal

I'm happy for Wes. Dallas is a perfect spot for him to continue to develop. I actually think he could become a real rotation guy for the Mavs.

Here's the thing with the whole "running it back" debate for me. I think it hinges entirely on whether you believe Markelle Fultz can be a star. 

Let's just say you really believe Markelle Fultz is going to be a star and you were trying to build an ideal roster around him. You're likely to want:

A SG whos a very good shooter and can also run some pick and roll and act as a secondary ball handler. (Fournier)

A C who is a consistent pick and pop threat. (Vuc and also maybe Bamba?)

A high volume scoring option (Also Vuc although I think in an ideal world down the line you'd want this to be a wing) 

A second PG who can play either on or off ball and hit open jumpers. (Cole we hope, previously DJ)

Guys who can shoot (Ross, Clark, hopefully Okeke)

Guys who can guard smaller guards on ball and let Fultz get in the passing lanes and be disruptive off ball (Cole Anthony hopefully and MCW)

And you obviously want all of that without compromising your identity as a long disruptive defensive team which has made you a top 10 defense and is the reason for your improvements pre Fultz. 

And when you list it all out like that... This roster isnt that bad for getting the best out of Fultz as constructed. 

Yes, obviously in an ideal world you'd want some really high volume, high efficiency 3 point shooting 6'6+ guys on the wing instead of James Ennis, Aminu and Dwayne Bacon and maybe AG (although AG is a different case in my opinion because he offers a lot inspite of average shooting) but high volume, high efficiency guys that are 6'6+ don't really grow on trees (bracing myself for someone to bring up Duncan Robinson) and they often command a lot of money in free agency (see Joe Harris and Davis Bertans new contracts). And the thing about Ennis and AG (Bacon is an interesting one actually because he's had a 40+% 3 point season so if he gets back to that he actually belongs in the TRoss, Clark group) is even though they're not great shooters they're willing shooters and oftentimes that's enough to provide gravity and create some space (see Robert Covington for the most extreme example of this I can think of).

Now I understand wanting to see change, I also would like to trade Fournier since if we don't we either lose him for nothing with no cap space to replace him or he re-signs which limits us for 3+ more years. But it has to be considered that there aren't many better SG's suited to playing with Fultz than Fournier. The ones that are probably aren't available. You could hope for addition by subtraction but you'd still be looking for a guard who can shoot and be a secondary ball handler there I think.

Obviously if you don't think Fultz can be a star I can completey understand wanting to make a bunch of moves because in your mind this team has no higher ceiling than its current construction. I've got a feeling though that Weltman does think Fultz will take a leap.

And sure it's pretty uninspiring signing the same guys who's limitations you already know Vs new guys who you haven't seen as much and are shiny and new but I do think all our free agent signings were shrewd and smart moves with low risk.

I'm also going to say that it might end up looking bad that we let Iwundu go because Dallas is going to be a really great place for him to develop. With Doncic doing all the creating the game's going to be really simplified for him. The important thing to remember with that is if that does happen it probably wouldn't have happened here.

• Upvote 3

CTMagicUK, as you know we're not on the same page, I'm not going to repeat my usual arguments again, but I have to say: it's a pleasure to discuss with you and read your points (will give a +1), even if I don't agree with a few of them. I obviously ALWAYS hope that all of you guys that are happy with the direction of the franchise are right, and that I'm completely wrong.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

CTMagicUK, as you know we're not on the same page, I'm not going to repeat my usual arguments again, but I have to say: it's a pleasure to discuss with you and read your points (will give a +1), even if I don't agree with a few of them. I obviously ALWAYS hope that all of you guys that are happy with the direction of the franchise are right, and that I'm completely wrong.

Thanks. Only time will tell I guess. There's a chance a year from now I'm with all you guys calling for trading everybody.

39 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

The direction of the team is on the backs of fultz and isaac. Isaac going down over and over has been the difference in multiple season - including last year.. If that doesn't change, we are in a bad place. If fultz become aggressive watch out. If fultz stays passive like last year,  it will be same story.

I like fultz. He has the tools to take us places but I don't know if he has the mindset. Management needs to give this man the keys and see were we end up. We need to max out fultz usage.