Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

17 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I would love TC here instead of Ennis, Clark or Bacon

Maybe Ennis, but I believe Clark fills a shooting need and just needs time on the court. We haven't even seen bacon, so really too early to judge. 

2 minutes ago, LaVar said:

Maybe Ennis, but I believe Clark fills a shooting need and just needs time on the court. We haven't even seen bacon, so really too early to judge. 

Sure, if you live in a world where you can only watch Magic basketball it’s too early to judge... also, I’m highly skeptical on Clark filling any sort of need. He probably only makes the rotation if we have an injury... or, Cliff plays him over Chuma cause that’s how Cliff rolls

30 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Sure, if you live in a world where you can only watch Magic basketball it’s too early to judge... also, I’m highly skeptical on Clark filling any sort of need. He probably only makes the rotation if we have an injury... or, Cliff plays him over Chuma cause that’s how Cliff rolls

I think he earned more minutes with his play in the playoffs. I also believe that is the reason he is back and signed for 2 years. 

17 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Probably need to settle in then, cause my bet is that they now sign MCW to part of the MLE. My guess would be somewhere in the $4.5M - $5.5M range. By my calculations, with the qualifying offer to Clark, and the signings of Bacon and Ennis we are now at 14 players, and we have enough room under the luxury tax line to go up to about $7M for a veteran PG to backup Fultz and Anthony. We all know that MCW is a Clifford favorite, and I think the front office is pretty happy with him too. MCW is also a better fit next to either Fultz or Anthony than DJ, and allows you to shift Fournier/Ross to spending some time at SF.  Also, continuity seems pretty important to this front office, and they seem to be focused on changing out slowly over time, while remaining competitive for a playoff spot, instead of trying to integrate a large number of new players at once. Having said that, the majority of guys currently on the roster have actually been with the team less than three years. Fultz didn't really play until last year, Anthony is a rookie, Bacon is new, Okeke is a rookie, Aminu was a free agent signing last year, and both Ennis and Clark were in-season pickups. Throw in that Birch was an addition (FA) their first year, and Bamba/Isaac were their first round picks, and the majority of this team is now Hammond/Weltman guys. Also, Clifford has to figure out how to integrate two rookies, a new to the team player (Bacon), and a returning from injury guy (Aminu) that he hadn't really figured out how to use prior to his injury. Assuming they try to resign MCW, and not DJ, that really only leaves Fournier, Ross, Gordon, and Vucevic from the team they inherited; so they have turned over most of the roster in three years, while still managing to make the playoffs twice in that time.

Fultz/Anthony/(MCW?)

Fournier/Ross/Bacon

Ennis/Okeke/Isaac(i)

Gordon/Aminu/Clark

Vucevic/Bamba/Birch

Kasim Mane (2WP) is listed as a SG on the nba.com draft prospect listing, but the write-up talks about him as a strong secondary ball handler who led RSEQ (Canadian version of the NCAA Division 1?) in assists last year.

They've managed to resign guys to descending salary contracts, which is extremely rare in the NBA; kept us out of the luxury tax (albeit barely); while making incremental moves. Do I wish we were making big, splashy moves to immediately improve to a top-3 seed; of course I do. We also have to look at the facts; we are a small market team, without the championship history of a San Antonio, several of our best players have decided to leave us high and dry to go elsewhere (LA), and that our primary draws are family entertainments (theme parks), Florida weather, and no state income tax. Not necessarily the things that draw your average young man (21-27) to want to come here, so the task of getting top Free Agents to even consider us is not easy. The idea of making a big, splashy move is attractive, but what happens when that star we just traded for decides they don't want to be in Orlando any more? When Shaq left, we got nothing for him, when Dwight left we got fairly low-ball offers because everyone knew he was injured and might never be the same player again. We complain about the moves that let Tobias Harris and Victor Oladipo go elsewhere and become all-stars; but they came about because we were trying to make (medium to big) win-now moves.

Vuc, Gordon, Isaac, Fournier, Ross and Birch may be the only long termers but they played the large majority of the minutes.   WeltHam may have changed much of the team but mostly the moves have consisted of changing out one inconsequential player for another.  No credit for that from my standpoint.  

There does not appear to be any long term vision for making the team better.  

I hope we see something significant out of Okeke or Cole because otherwise not only will we be worse than last year, but we’ll be even more boring.  Our lack of offense is pitiful.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Shine88 said:

Can't lie. I kind of like the moves we made this off-season.

Would of liked Harkless over  Ennis, but I understand the move.

But with that being said, I think we'll be players at the trading deadline.

Trading players at deadline???  Hahahahaha. 

Said every dam year, and then reality shows up with nothing, nada, zilch.

Weltman: “I like this team”.

Eighth seed just feels warm and fuzzy

Two reflections:

1. Raise your hand if you’re just glad our future doesn’t hinge on Elfrid Payton. [Soul raises hand]. Thank goodness that experiment is long gone.

2. Count me as one who still believes our future centers around developing talent vs. trading for it. We need one or more of our young guys to take that leap, be it Fultz, Anthony or Okeke. Will one of them (or someone else) become the next Mitchell or Murray?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Trading players at deadline???  Hahahahaha. 

Said every dam year, and then reality shows up with nothing, nada, zilch.

Weltman: “I like this team”.

Eighth seed just feels warm and fuzzy

WeltHam have made trade deadline trades in 2018, 2019, and 2020.

My biggest gripe with our team construction is that we have kept certain vets too long on the team and in the rotation. More minutes need to be given to more young guys.