Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

10 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

5 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Wow... I just kind of assumed we’d keep Wes. Wish him luck wherever he winds up 

I'm not sure it means much for Wes' chance of staying or going - his qualifying offer was about $2.02M, but if we resigned him as a free agent to the veteran minimum, he would get about $1.68M, and the league would pay about $60K of that, saving the Magic about $400,000 total, and giving them a little more space under the luxury tax. Gary Clark's qualifying offer is a little less.

2 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I'm not sure it means much for Wes' chance of staying or going - his qualifying offer was about $2.02M, but if we resigned him as a free agent to the veteran minimum, he would get about $1.68M, and the league would pay about $60K of that, saving the Magic about $400,000 total, and giving them a little more space under the luxury tax. Gary Clark's qualifying offer is a little less.

I think there's probably another team out there willing to offer Wes $2m. He's a decent 5th wing. 

30 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

They changed the luxury tax rules for this season due to the pandemic.

Awesome, helping the teams most that don't need it. Just like the stimulus helping out the ones that don't need it the most (corporations) and giving working people peanuts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Interesting tidbit form the Athletic’s post draft power rankings:

“League sources say Evan Fournier is trying to find his way to a team like the Clippers, Suns or Nuggets.”

Maybe I will be proved wrong about not moving Evan until the deadline

Wow... That’s encouraging to me.

11 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think there's probably another team out there willing to offer Wes $2m. He's a decent 5th wing. 

I do tend to think it is a little short-sighted, but I've been a bigger Wes fan than most. I'm not convinced we can do much better for what we have available money-wise, but we will see. If we don't re-sign him, that is just another slot to fill. Maybe they think there will be a lot of veterans willing to sign minimum contracts this year; it's possible with teams trying to cut payroll and not keeping guys whose contracts aren't guaranteed. I'm surprised that they did give Clark the qualifying offer if that is their plan though. I suppose with Isaac injured, Aminu just coming back after a year off due to injury, Chuma being a rookie,  and Ennis opting out we are a little shorter on SF/PF. Since Wes is more of a 2/3 I guess he is a lower priority.

1 minute ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Ross could be another candidate if we want to clear long term salary

I am sure they would rather have Ross, he's cheaper, and with Curry, Wiggins and Green commanding attention, he would have a lot fewer contested shots. That's actually a scary thought, having the torch in GS. 

6 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Of course Presti will do it. There is no doubt he will get that pick. It's too bad cause i wouldn't mind getting Mannion as a throw in or even Justinian Jessup as an overseas stash.

We should all get on Weltman and Hammonds twitter and beg them to make a trade.

Edit. Ross or Fournier are easily better then Oubre right now. Oubre might make more sense for a younger team....wow this is so frustrating. Maybe it can be a 3 team trade.

10 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I am sure they would rather have Ross, he's cheaper, and with Curry, Wiggins and Green commanding attention, he would have a lot fewer contested shots. That's actually a scary thought, having the torch in GS. 

Torch? Come on. Barely a pilot light.