Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30338853/nba-regular-season-schedule-2020-21-released-2-stages-play-tournament-18-21

I'm not sure how I feel about the play-in. It made sense last season, but this season? It also doesn't mention if the 9-10 seeds have to be within a certain number of games of the 7-8 seed.

If I'm reading this correctly you could be the 7 seed, lose to the 8 seed one game, then to the 10 seed the next and miss the playoffs and the 10 seed makes it.

I honestly think they are asking for trouble by doing this. It sounds like the regular season won't be as important. Even less reason for the casual fan to watch the regular season. Smart thing to do with the ratings being lower than they have been in years.

9 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Getting way ahead of ourselves here.  Okeke first needs to demonstrate that he’s NBA material, then we can worry about whether he’s starting material.  Long history of overestimating young, unknown players in this forum. 

I think that every fan does that, and not only with young rookies. :)

A week ago Jrue Holiday was not enough a return for Vooch... and he actually landed a great deal for NO, something that I really doubt we will never receive for Nikola. After those first trades, I've also read that we have to obtain even more for him... well, I hope, but we keep forgetting that championship teams target (and overpay) for pieces that fit and improve their situation... not sure Vuc is that.

14 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

I think that every fan does that, and not only with young rookies. :)

A week ago Jrue Holiday was not enough a return for Vooch... and he actually landed a great deal for NO, something that I really doubt we will never receive for Nikola. After those first trades, I've also read that we have to obtain even more for him... well, I hope, but we keep forgetting that championship teams target (and overpay) for pieces that fit and improve their situation... not sure Vuc is that.

I see vuch impacting a team like Paul Gasol. Skilled big men value is starting to rise again after the bubble with ad and joker showing there importance. 

9 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Getting way ahead of ourselves here.  Okeke first needs to demonstrate that he’s NBA material, then we can worry about whether he’s starting material.  Long history of overestimating young, unknown players in this forum. 

Hence my saying MIGHT. If Okeke comes back as good as he was prior to the injury, he will definitely be NBA material, the questions are will be able to, how long will it take,  and will he continue to improve into a starter? He hasn’t played in over a year and a half, so my expectation would be after the all star game at the earliest, but maybe next year, or not ever. He’s a rookie.

24 minutes ago, LaVar said:

I see vuch impacting a team like Paul Gasol. Skilled big men value is starting to rise again after the bubble with ad and joker showing there importance. 

That's, IMO, overstimating again but from a different angle! :P

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

That's, IMO, overstimating again but from a different angle! :P

In what way did I overestimate?  Vuc is an allstar center that averaged 30ppg in the playoffs against the number 1 team in the league.

Remember when we hired Weltman and Hammond and were all excited because they had a reputation of deal making? What happened to that?! I will admit, I’m in the camp that doesn’t give them a ton of credit for the Fultz deal falling directly in to their laps.

I know there’s still a long way to go, but I get an overwhelming sense we’re just gonna keep doing things super boring and keep hanging out around the bottom of the playoffs/bottom of the lottery.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Remember when we hired Weltman and Hammond and were all excited because they had a reputation of deal making? What happened to that?! I will admit, I’m in the camp that doesn’t give them a ton of credit for the Fultz deal falling directly in to their laps.

I know there’s still a long way to go, but I get an overwhelming sense we’re just gonna keep doing things super boring and keep hanging out around the bottom of the playoffs/bottom of the lottery.

I can already hear Weltman in the press conference after the draft saying something like ‘It’s not a good year to bring a lot of new players in or young players who don’t have time to learn our system. We think we have an advantage with our continuity and the reps we got in the bubble.’ 

I hope I’m wrong but they just seem so conservative that I wouldn’t be surprised. I just don’t get how we can continue to justify staying on this same path when we have a team that clearly doesn’t have pieces that fit together. There won’t be fans (or many fans) in arenas this year anyway. Blow it up. Get assets and start to build a roster that is skilled and can play together. Not just a roster that’s long/athletic.