Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

12 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

That’s insane! Any word on if it’s gonna be back to normal games at home arenas or trying to build another bubble? I guess right now if the goal is to be back up in running in a month it pretty much rules out another bubble.

It’s crazy, the pandemic numbers are significantly worse here than they were during the first shutdown. I didn’t expect the league to risk rushing back, especially after doing so much to protect their players to finish last season, but I guess money talks louder than anything else.

They've said they would lose half a billion if they don't start by Christmas. Rumours so far are:

72 game season

Some kind of play in tournament like the Memphis/Portland thing this season

Season ending before the Olympics in the summer

Presumably starting in stadiums but without fans and probably staying that way although I guess the league would hope they can get fans back in at some point (seems unlikely).

That's everything I remember reading.

But yea the entire off-season of free agency and trades is potentially about to get crammed into 2 weeks. That should be fun.

16 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Y’all stay undervaluing Nik lol

It's not undervaluing, it's chosing a path for our future, as our path right now is going nowhere. At this point,  I will accept anything that gave us:

-a serviciable player on a shorter/cheaper contract + some kind of other asset like a future pick or an expiring.

I would be really surprised if his real value around the league is more thant that right now. Plus, Vuc was surely more valuable a few years ago, younger and with a cheaper contract, and doesn't seem like we received all those great value offers for him.

The East is kinda good, which means the Orlando Magic can't count on running back this group and coasting to the Brown Participation Ribbon Junior Varsity No. 7/8 Playoff Spot -- which might really just be No. 8 unless one of Milwaukee, Miami, Boston, Toronto, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, and Indiana disappoints.

Per usual, teams who have talked with the Magic have a hard time parsing their intentions. The wager here is they would be fine with Evan Fournier opting into the final year on his contract, and playing things out. If so, they should investigate what they might get for him in a trade.

The leaguewide interest level in Aaron Gordon is murkier. Brooklyn discussed chasing him in prior years, but that is probably moot now. He makes sense in Portland, though NBA Twitter's beloved Gordon-for-CJ McCollum swap has never been discussed in any serious way, sources say. Could Portland pry Gordon away without surrendering McCollum? Does Zach Collins appeal to a team with Nikola Vucevic, Mo Bamba, and Jonathan Isaac? What about Anfernee Simons?

Isaac could miss the season because of a knee injury; does that make Orlando less likely to move Gordon or Vucevic? Does the franchise have the stomach to take a step back?

- Zach Lowe's little snippet on the Magic in his latest column which doesn't tell us much of anything and asks questions we've all been asking already.

(Forgive me I'm too dumb to figure out how to put that in a quote box lol)

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

It's not undervaluing, it's chosing a path for our future, as our path right now is going nowhere. At this point,  I will accept anything that gave us:

-a serviciable player on a shorter/cheaper contract + some kind of other asset like a future pick or an expiring.

I would be really surprised if his real value around the league is more thant that right now. Plus, Vuc was surely more valuable a few years ago, younger and with a cheaper contract, and doesn't seem like we received all those great value offers for him.

I agree with trading him in the right trade, but not some of the bad trades I see.

I’m really curious what the value of Gordon and Vooch are around the league. I’m more open to trading Gordon than I ever have been before.

21 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m really curious what the value of Gordon and Vooch are around the league. I’m more open to trading Gordon than I ever have been before.

I'm open to trade both than I ever was, to be honest.

As much as it costs to admit, AG has had more than enough opportunities to raise his game and Vuc will not be better than he was this playoff so we will not do better than this past season. Adding to this, the possibility of WAS, CHI and ATL performing better next year, it looks like we will hardly finish 8 seed again (let alone doing better).

So I tend to see this coming season as an opportunity to clean the house, get some good value back and also set us up to capitalize whenever an opportunity comes up - sort of taking a step back now so we can take 2 step forward later on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LaVar said:

I agree with trading him in the right trade, but not some of the bad trades I see.

My first answer was related to Jrue, and Jrue+ a small asset would be something that I would absolutely do (one asset+clearing the cap hell+finally changing something that hasn't worked in multiple years) Clearly the coach and the management has to be in line with that directions, something that I clearly doubt. Honestly, I haven't heard a good realistic trade involving him still. From my point of view, I'm not undervaluing, maybe a lot of us have overvalued him in the past and the league has shown that the market is not that great for a player like him, especially now that he's getting older and with a fat contract. I hope that I'm completely wrong and that we get a great deal for him, but I really don't see it right now.

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I'm warming up to the mediocrity treadmill and trying to build this way, but I'm still incredibly exhausted from this core we've had for what feels like 20 years

Please Mauro no! :)
Don't warm up to that, it's the worst we can do, and we should be more than exhausted...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

My first answer was related to Jrue, and Jrue+ a small asset would be something that I would absolutely do (one asset+clearing the cap hell+finally changing something that hasn't worked in multiple years) Clearly the coach and the management has to be in line with that directions, something that I clearly doubt. Honestly, I haven't heard a good realistic trade involving him still. From my point of view, I'm not undervaluing, maybe a lot of us have overvalued him in the past and the league has shown that the market is not that great for a player like him, especially now that he's getting older and with a fat contract. I hope that I'm completely wrong and that we get a great deal for him, but I really don't see it right now.

We don't really know what offers have been on the table. Management doesn't let much leak.

3 hours ago, JayMac said:

I'm open to trade both than I ever was, to be honest.

As much as it costs to admit, AG has had more than enough opportunities to raise his game and Vuc will not be better than he was this playoff so we will not do better than this past season. Adding to this, the possibility of WAS, CHI and ATL performing better next year, it looks like we will hardly finish 8 seed again (let alone doing better).

So I tend to see this coming season as an opportunity to clean the house, get some good value back and also set us up to capitalize whenever an opportunity comes up - sort of taking a step back now so we can take 2 step forward later on.

I think it is very likely we see AG’s best year since he will be at PF full time, and with Nik in his prime there isn’t much reason to expect he gets markedly worse. We will have a better roster-coach combination than any of the teams you listed.

But you are right that we don’t really have the pieces, especially without  Isaac, for internal improvements to push us much further than we currently are.

However, I don’t know that I would use  that reasoning to sell off the two best players and be bad again. As much as perennial 8 seed sinks, just being bad was much worse

• Upvote 2