Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

3 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

would anyone be surprised if we offered the full MLE to Derrick Jones since he's really fast and jumps really high?

I'd be very surprised.

11 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Maybe it's the consensus about what we think it's going to happen, but I really hope that is not the consensus about what we would need. At least, it's not mine, as I've repeatedly indicated my concerns about the approach that the FO has mantained in those past seasons.

All we can hope is that the main reason we stood pat is ownership mandate to squeeze the roster for some playoff revenue and the exposure that brings. Hopefully they can happily argue that middle of the road is going to crap out out into out-of-playoffs purgatory probably this coming year and we have no choice but to change course.

5 hours ago, JayMac said:

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/10/19/21520412/orlando-magic-daryl-morey

An interesting article on a curious topic, for which I don't have a clear position (apart from not believing there will be any changes in our FO this off-season).

Clearly not happening, but I had the same thought after reading a Lowe article on Morey. I'm not sure it would be a great solution, but not worst of what we have now also...

An interesting idea I heard about the Pels on a podcast that I think could apply to us is that they keep all their good trade pieces to start the season and then if they're off the playoff race before the deadline they can basically say to ownership "look we're not making the playoffs this year it's time to cash in on these assets that we otherwise might lose, get a better draft pick and reload for next season". I can see us doing something similar. Like trade Fournier and maybe AG or Aminu (if he has a bounce back) or something at the deadline to make us worse to close the season. Take a chance with the ping pong balls and hope that you can come back the year after with a high lotto pick and a healthy Isaac.

Fair enough, but IMO it's prefereable to trade and improve the team when the value of your players is high/top, not in a clear situation of weakness that will give you a lesser return.

Also, the target shouldn't be just "making the playoffs this year", would be the third year in a row and we're going nowhere.

5 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Fair enough, but IMO it's prefereable to trade and improve the team when the value of your players is high/top, not in a clear situation of weakness that will give you a lesser return.

Also, the target shouldn't be just "making the playoffs this year", would be the third year in a row and we're going nowhere.

The flipside is teams are more desperate at the deadline because they've had injuries or something's become apparent over the course of the season. Or they're looking for one more piece to make a push.

What should the target be then if it's not 'making the playoffs'?

• Upvote 1

If we plan on being competitive I wouldn't mind stealing some players from the Clippers. Always been a HUGE Lou Williams fan. (I know he sucked in these playoffs, but beggars can't be choosers)

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

What should the target be then if it's not 'making the playoffs'?

It's a long story about mediocrity I've repeated a lot of times... :)

Obviously we want to make the playoffs, but being 8th in a weak east isn't really a big achievement. The target should be at least being a contender, after so many years of rebuilding. But unfortunately I haven't seen any move that suggest we're heading in the right direction recently.

1 hour ago, Luke_FfS said:

It's a long story about mediocrity I've repeated a lot of times... :)

Obviously we want to make the playoffs, but being 8th in a weak east isn't really a big achievement. The target should be at least being a contender, after so many years of rebuilding. But unfortunately I haven't seen any move that suggest we're heading in the right direction recently.

Which specific moves do you think would get us headed in the right direction?