Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

13 hours ago, hootie249 said:

We haven't had someone attack the pain well in years. First of all Nelson never did it for real it was just for show. everyone else was setting up 3's, we actually were at the forefront of that ****. Since then we had Oladipo, and Elfrid, two guards who could not finish or draw a foul. Outside of that everyone else has been mediocre. Evan looked like he could for a bit, ditto Gordon, Ross can only finish if he is wide open and hates contact. DJ is too small. It has literally been our defining trait, nobody can handle inside except Vucevic, everybody else has to have a wide open lane. 

Fultz was a breath of fresh air because when he was first was healthy he showed he could finish through contact, and then hardly ever does. I want to see that first step he only ever teases us with and drawing fouls...seriously it's all he has until some shot guru fixes that horrible jumper 3 years after he leaves the  Magic.

That’s fair.  I think the sagging defense discourages our guys from attacking the paint as much as they might in a different situation, though.  And that’s not always a bad thing.  Those Gordon 1v3s when he puts his head down are usually a disaster. 

I don’t disagree with you except that I think the key to us being able to attack the paint more is to have at least 4 credible shooters on the floor.  And then, as you point out, you have to have someone who steps up and does it.  Hopefully that person could be Fultz, as you say.  

Dribble penetration and shooting are kind of a chicken and egg thing. Its hard to penetrate when the defense sags so shooting helps but at the same time shooting is made so much easier by having guys who can penetrate.

The real resolution is having a guy (or multiple guys) who can do both (particularly if he can shoot off the dribble). The threat of the shot can open up the paint for him to attack and thus create easier looks for others.

This is kind of why I'm struggling a little with Fultz. My heart says he's going to be an All Star. My head says he will never be without the jumper. His appeal as a prospect coming out were his rangey strides, explosive first step and his hesi pullup. Without the pullup his game just doesn't have the same threat because he can't use his burst to get by guys when they sag off. He's started to counter that with the mid range but unless he becomes an otherworldly mid range shooter defenses are just going to let him have it and live with the results. He's been pretty effecient from mid range areas this past season. In fact he's been pretty efficient from everywhere except behind the three point line but that's enough for him to be only a middling to below average efficiency player. 

Short of suddenly becoming a great jump shooter getting to the FT line is the next step for him. He needs to be shooting at minimum 4 or 5 FTA per game. That'll help a lot and instantly give his PPG a 2 point boost.  The issue is he's not a great FT shooter so it's just whether he has the confidence to be crafty and draw fouls.

After that I guess we're hoping he can hit 35ish% on catch and shoot 3s. Anything more than that will probably be a miracle. 

Nice posts about penetration and shooting guys, i like the chicken and the egg analogy. Anyway lets remember right now in the playoffs there is quite a few good players who feast on open mid range two's. Jimmy Butler is the most famous one,obviously. Also i saw a graphic that showed Kawhi lived off them as well as Jokic and Davis. Yes all 3 of them can hit the 3 but they make most points off mid range shots. Smart,Jaylen and Tatum have taken a ton as well. 

Anyway i know what everyone is going to say, those teams and players are only getting those shots from spacing because they hit 3's. It's somewhat true but if you have even two decent players with handles, they can create so many open shots.Every year we go on a 10-20 game run where we shoot the lights out. I bet we could make a more consistent effort if we had another ball handler who penetrates. 

I read a DJ Augustin quote the other day, it's from a few weeks ago I think, where he said he wants to end his career here. It'd be interesting to know how much finances impact that for him. Like would he take a deal just above the minimum? Like a 2 year 6 million deal? I'd do that. He's worth that and salary wise it represents the idea that he's taking a step back roster wise too. I do think though that some contenders could really use a guard who can play 15 mins, run some pick and roll and shoot some open jumpers. I guess it's whether those contenders value that enough to offer 4+ mil or would just hope he'd take the vet minimum. 

Either way I'm expecting DJ to be back unless something drastic happens. 

Here's a random question: is Tracy McGrady still in that role working with Alex Martins? I remember when we first brought in Weltman TMac got some kind of "special assistant to the CEO" type role and it was seemingly never mentioned again. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, LaVar said:

Orlando Magic get: Donte DiVincenzo and the No. 24 pick in the 2020 draft (via Milwaukee Bucks)

https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/09/21/nba-rumors-kyle-lowry-could-land-with-bucks-in-potential-three-team-deal-with-raptors-and-magic/

I wouldn't do this deal. Maybe I'm missing something, but we would give up Khem and slide down 9 spots in the draft to get a below average shooter. That's on a team where Giannis is getting people open shots, too. Does Donte DiVincenzo do something I don't see in his stats?

32 minutes ago, HeartAndHustle said:

I wouldn't do this deal. Maybe I'm missing something, but we would give up Khem and slide down 9 spots in the draft to get a below average shooter. That's on a team where Giannis is getting people open shots, too. Does Donte DiVincenzo do something I don't see in his stats?

I like DiVincenzo, I think he plays pretty tough, and is a constant movement kind of guy; but I don't like him well enough to give up our best screener and move down 9 spaces in a mediocre draft. Will there be a decent guy left at 24? Maybe. But even if he is in the same "tier" of talent as the guy you get at 15, the choices and "fit" won't be the same. If you like a guy (or two) in that tier, you are better off at 15, where you are more likely to get him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I like DiVincenzo, I think he plays pretty tough, and is a constant movement kind of guy; but I don't like him well enough to give up our best screener and move down 9 spaces in a mediocre draft. Will there be a decent guy left at 24? Maybe. But even if he is in the same "tier" of talent as the guy you get at 15, the choices and "fit" won't be the same. If you like a guy (or two) in that tier, you are better off at 15, where you are more likely to get him. 

I agree. Without the pick "swap", this deal makes more sense. I just hope Bamba can handle full time backup center duties next year.

5 hours ago, HeartAndHustle said:

I agree. Without the pick "swap", this deal makes more sense. I just hope Bamba can handle full time backup center duties next year.

We would have to pick up a veteran minimum third center