Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

On 8/27/2020 at 8:03 AM, Luke_FfS said:

Clearly we need one, but problem is: you don't get a star player for free, you've to draft him or create the right environment to sign him as a free agent, or trade for him.

We weren't able to find one via draft when we tanked.

We don't have the cap space to sign one, and I doubt that any of them would be interested to join us right now.

We don't have the assets to trade for one. And even if we do, he would probably not resign with us given the circumstances.

If you are not functional, if you don't make the rigth little moves, if you don't have a good team, you have no hopes to get a star player.

This guy gets it. Clearly at one point we had the assets to get a star, we don't anymore. After all two of our players were traded to get Paul George.Our first round picks were very valuable during the rebuild, don't let anyone fool you, they could have been traded. We just didn't trade them the right way. Anyhow on to the future. We need to start making little moves to clear up our cap. 

It's gonna be a long fall so i'll be in this thread making suggestions and listening to other posts. However as boring as it sounds, i cannot see us making even one trade. 

We won't know for a long time if Evan is going to opt out, because of the messed up off season. Ross is probably one of 2 remaining players we could trade, but how can we if we don't have a starting SG? So scratch him off the list. All of our Forwards have serious injuries. I think the Gordon injury was the ironic end to all his trade talk. Bamba has no value right now i would think, it has to be rebuilt. Obviously Futlz won't be traded but if you think about it his trade value is almost zero. A team trading for him knows he has to be resigned and has a gigantic qualifying offer/cap hold number. Chuma has no value, only as an add on to make money fit. Vucevic is a top 5 center his numbers don't lie, he is really good. If i try really hard i can imagine some trade scenarios. However i just can't see our front office doing it, we still have to field a team next year.

So in essence, be prepared for a very boring off season.  Below is a link to one of my favorite websites for NBA trades and Info. It's the free agent list.

https://tradenba.com/free-agents

We will know whether Evan opts in or out in plenty of time to trade him though (if he opts in). His decision date is before the NBA draft and I imagine it'll stay that way even after everything gets pushed back. 

Its hard to know what Vuc's value is around the league right now. He's proven a lot in this series but I still don't know how many teams would look at him and think "this guy is our missing piece". That's why I think he won't get traded because he's much more valuable to us than he is to the rest of the league (or at least it certainly seems that way). The only way I can see a Vuc trade is if we decide to tank a year. Trading Vuc would certainly be the easiest way to lose a bunch more games.

I wouldn't worry about AG, there's nothing to indicate he won't be healthy for the start of next season. He'll probably be healthy a month from now, long before next season starts. Unfortunately it still seems like we'll trade him if we find an offer we really like.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, Soul Bro said:

Who are some young players we should target this summer in trades?

Korver, LeBron

Yeah even with the contract Vucevic is our most valuable player, it's not even close. If we hear anything about him moving i think it means a rebuild. Not a bad year to do it, so i wouldn't be upset.The only team i can even imagine trading for him is the Celtics to get rid of Heyward and lock up an all star center. However you just can't sell that to the general public.

Gordon isn't going anywhere now, and i do hope he is healthy. It's just timing, at the February deadline i thought he had very high trade value, but of course Isaac and Aminu were injured so we could't do it. Now, with regards to the injury and cap and situations, there isn't a high enough value to trade him. To be clear even if we traded Vucevic and Evan and started a rebuild, his value will be higher in the middle of next season.  I think the last good trade we could have done vanished when the T-wolves won the Lotto. Also when the Suns went ballistic in the bubble. Before the injuries those two teams more then any other needed an athletic, defensive power forward to complement a good young core. Now too risky for them. 

Man if only Gordon had stayed healthy and balled out in the bubble. I could have easily imagined the Suns giving up one of their young forwards and this years pick for Aaron.

13 hours ago, Tank Vogel said:

Man Porzingis got hurt 48 games into a season, missed all of next year, and is still having knee problems. Scares me for Isaac. Even if its not the same knee, he may favor the other side while working out / rehabbing etc. 

Given Isaac’s history so far, there is no way you can’t be concerned about potential future injury.  As best I can tell, the last two injuries were both not a result of contact.  If that’s happening when he’s healthy, the risk is likely even higher when he eventually returns, which is probably 12-18 months away if the rehab goes well.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

I disagree. The first step is to trade for the right players in the right system and have them excel. Then we can get a star player. No ones going to want to come to a dysfunctional team that seemingly doesn’t work. You have to do things step by step.

do we need a star to win a championship? Sure. Do we need one to stay competitive? No. 

This +10.  We tried to take the short cut of creating a dysfunctional team to land a great talent, not realizing how incredibly lucky we were to have that happen twice in the past (even then we never intentionally tanked for either Shaq or Dwight).  We’ve all seen how intentional tanking worked out.   I’m all for the “heart & hustle” approach of building the best team you can, creating the right kind of culture, and developing young players properly instead of throwing them in to be obliterated.  

• Upvote 3

I don't understand why anybody thinks AGs value is lower just because he has a hamstring strain? Nobody who was interested in him in February will now not be because he got shoved over by Kyle Lowry in mid air. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I don't understand why anybody thinks AGs value is lower just because he has a hamstring strain? Nobody who was interested in him in February will now not be because he got shoved over by Kyle Lowry in mid air. 

I don't know man, i got a wicked charlie horse this morning and not one team has called me today.

Anyhow there is not one player on this team i wouldn't trade if we could get back picks, a young player and a better fit. Not all three in one trade, just in general.

17 hours ago, Gordon MVP said:

I disagree. The first step is to trade for the right players in the right system and have them excel. Then we can get a star player. No ones going to want to come to a dysfunctional team that seemingly doesn’t work. You have to do things step by step.

do we need a star to win a championship? Sure. Do we need one to stay competitive? No. 

What are you talking about?  You are assuming free agency I guess?  You better get two max slots!   Your plan is garbage otherwise.  What lone star is going to want to come here?

• Downvote 2

Interesting read on ESPN+ about the Magic moving forward. This tidbit is very significant. According to Bobby Marks, if we extend Isaac before he hits RFA, his knee will not be insured with his new contract.