Soul Bro

2020 Official Off-Season Thread

7 hours ago, og magic fan said:

You all can debate these trades to get marginal players that won't move the needle for wins and losses.  We have to do whatever to get a star player.  Period end of story!

Clearly we need one, but problem is: you don't get a star player for free, you've to draft him or create the right environment to sign him as a free agent, or trade for him.

We weren't able to find one via draft when we tanked.

We don't have the cap space to sign one, and I doubt that any of them would be interested to join us right now.

We don't have the assets to trade for one. And even if we do, he would probably not resign with us given the circumstances.

If you are not functional, if you don't make the rigth little moves, if you don't have a good team, you have no hopes to get a star player.

A MAGICAL SWAP

3kb3x8-2-1024x242.jpg

Out of the three trades listed, this has the least possibility of occurring. But similar to how the Pacers trade cleared up a rotational logjam, Orlando could do the same thing. Trading Nikola Vucevic for Paul George would create more minutes for first-round pick Mo Bamba and it would allow Aaron Gordon to play his natural position of power forward. Also a line-up of Fultz-George-Isaac-Gordon-Bamba has length, versatility, and could match-up with almost any team in the eastern conference. Paul George gives Orlando a much-needed first option, and for George it allows him to be a clear-cut first option for the first time since his days in Indiana. 

As for the Clippers, a proven big man in Vucevic gives them floor spacing and a defensive anchor at the Center position. Orlando could use some change as they have been running in place the past few years, and getting off of Vucevic could be that change. If Orlando wanted to get more out of L.A., Ivica Zubac could be an option in this deal. 

Out of the three listed, the Vucevic-George swap seems most reasonable. Both teams could be in need for a change if the ‘Playoff P’ experiment continues to fail, and this is that change. George gets a chance to lead the team in Orlando and Vucevic is on a championship contender.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/index.php/2020/08/24/over-reactive-paul-george-trade-options/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=over-reactive-paul-george-trade-options

When did Vooch become a defensive anchor?

To be fair to Vuc he is the starting center on a top 10 defense. But sure I guess "anchor" implies like great player. 

The Clippers would never do that but interestingly I wouldnt do it either. Here's why: the Clippers just gave up Galo, SGA and 5 1st round picks for PG. If you're telling me Vuc's value is so high that you can trade him straight up for a guy who cost that much a year ago then I'd rather have all those type of assets than 1 year of Paul George before he opts out and signs somewhere else.

(Admittedly the Clips gave up so much because it guaranteed them Kawhi and PG but take 3 or 4 first round picks off of that deal and it'd still be a great deal in a trade for Vuc)

Too much if's! :D

I would do that deal anyway, even if he opts out, we would have the cap space at least, and that's better than having to pay him 22m in 2022 when he'll be over the 30's.

Or you can deal him again, someone his going to be interested for sure, more than the interest that Vuc could gauge.

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Vooch should be moved now while he has value. Sell high buy low. His trade value is as high as it’s going to be right now. 

If Nikola is traded then you will be wishing that Nikola never got traded if Bamba is a bust

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Anfernee1 said:

If Nikola is traded then you will be wishing that Nikola never got traded if Bamba is a bust

Center is the easiest position to fill

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Anfernee1 said:

I assume bamba is a bust already. He has some skill but his slow feet and lack of effort has left a very sour taste. 

4 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Center is the easiest position to fill

This.

It's also the position in which less money should be invested right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

This.

It's also the position in which less money should be invested right now.

And not that it needs to be said but I'm sure it does ... this is not an opportunity for people to mention Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid or Nikola Jokic. I hope, unlike on facebook, people understand what an outlier is.

Man Porzingis got hurt 48 games into a season, missed all of next year, and is still having knee problems. Scares me for Isaac. Even if its not the same knee, he may favor the other side while working out / rehabbing etc. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:28 AM, og magic fan said:

You all can debate these trades to get marginal players that won't move the needle for wins and losses.  We have to do whatever to get a star player.  Period end of story!

I disagree. The first step is to trade for the right players in the right system and have them excel. Then we can get a star player. No ones going to want to come to a dysfunctional team that seemingly doesn’t work. You have to do things step by step.

do we need a star to win a championship? Sure. Do we need one to stay competitive? No. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1