TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

25 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

So if I'm the front office, first thing in the morning, I'm on the phone to try and sign the following guys to training camp:

Devon Dotson, PG, 6'2"

Markus Howard, PG, 6'0"

Ashton Hagans, PG, 6'3"

Mason Jones, SG, 6'5"

Hopefully they aren’t waiting till first thing in the morning. Two of those guys already signed with other teams lol

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

So if I'm the front office, first thing in the morning, I'm on the phone to try and sign the following guys to training camp:

Devon Dotson, PG, 6'2"

Markus Howard, PG, 6'0"

Ashton Hagans, PG, 6'3"

Mason Jones, SG, 6'5"

They said no more roster spots for rookies. I think we feel the roster with vets like mcw, DJ, and Jameer Nelson 

Interesting that Weltman said Cole looked bouncier in the workout they did with him than he looked at UNC. In HS he was dunking on guys left and right but he only had single digit dunks all year at UNC which I definitely felt could indicate he was playing hurt and his burst and athleticism could be better than it looked. That could be huge for us in terms of his chances to be an elite guard.

Guys I'd be trying to call about a 2 way contract:

Josh Hall

Kristian Doolittle

Trent Forrest

Karim Mane

Ty-shon Alexander

Trevelin Queen

Mamadi Diakite

38 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Guys I'd be trying to call about a 2 way contract:

Josh Hall

Kristian Doolittle

Trent Forrest

Karim Mane

Ty-shon Alexander

Trevelin Queen

Mamadi Diakite

I don't think we will go for them... Once again, this FO showed they are too cautious and never taking any initiative to try for something new or make a bet, even if it doesn't cost basically anything.

I mean, I am very happy with getting Anthony Cole, he has a tremendous potential, answers to some of our most critical needs and fits well with Fultz. But I don't understand once again the move to dump our 2nd round pick... What is the purpose of it? I have a hard time to really understand that move and it feels even bitter when we see that there were guys like Grant Riller or Isaiah Joe available at point...

Once again, I will only take my conclusions when it is all said and done (I believe we will be trading in the next days) but I can't avoid the feeling of disappointment by the "lack of attitude" of our FO (maybe I am biased with what D.Morey just did for the 76ers in a single night!).

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

I don't think we will go for them... Once again, this FO showed they are too cautious and never taking any initiative to try for something new or make a bet, even if it doesn't cost basically anything.

I mean, I am very happy with getting Anthony Cole, he has a tremendous potential, answers to some of our most critical needs and fits well with Fultz. But I don't understand once again the move to dump our 2nd round pick... What is the purpose of it? I have a hard time to really understand that move and it feels even bitter when we see that there were guys like Grant Riller or Isaiah Joe available at point...

Once again, I will only take my conclusions when it is all said and done (I believe we will be trading in the next days) but I can't avoid the feeling of disappointment by the "lack of attitude" of our FO (maybe I am biased with what D.Morey just did for the 76ers in a single night!).

We traded our 2nd because we don't have a lot of roster space so the second round guy probably wouldn't make the roster and thus it'd be a wasted pick. 2 way guys aren't roster spots so we've got no reason not to try and sign guys.

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

We traded our 2nd because we don't have a lot of roster space so the second round guy probably wouldn't make the roster and thus it'd be a wasted pick. 2 way guys aren't roster spots so we've got no reason not to try and sign guys.

Sorry but I disagree. We have 5 players ending their contract: MCW, DJ, Iwundu, Clark and Ennis. Of these, let's assume we re-sign 3 of them (Iwundu, MCW/DJ, Clark), we have place for 2 more... Looks like enough space for me.

IMO, either Isaiah Joe or Grant Riller could easily take one of those spots. Not to say that I see them as more talented and interesting than any of those undrafted you mentioned.

Just now, JayMac said:

Sorry but I disagree. We have 5 players ending their contract: MCW, DJ, Iwundu, Clark and Ennis. Of these, let's assume we re-sign 3 of them (Iwundu, MCW/DJ, Clark), we have place for 2 more... Looks like enough space for me.

IMO, either Isaiah Joe or Grant Riller could easily take one of those spots. Not to say that I see them as more talented and interesting than any of those undrafted you mentioned.

But we don't have space for two more because we signed Okeke and drafted Cole. That's 2. 

34 minutes ago, JayMac said:

That is what the gm said he traded the pick for roster flexibility. I don't think he wants more than 2 rookies.

The best thing about Cole is he a real basketball player. Not a project, the kid loves to ball just like his father. Now we need a little luck and hope he reaches his ceiling.