TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

4 hours ago, Nyce_1 said:

why do you want a point guard? 

I'm not 100% sold on Fultz, and we are going to have to make a decision on extending him soon. Additionally, like Toronto and Portland, I think we are seeing a league where two point guards can play together and maximize the new NBA rules. 

3 hours ago, Nyce_1 said:

I don't understand the logic of taking a PG that would take the ball out of Fultz's hands. Markelle is a good PG and when the ball isn't in his hands (as seen with Fournier) it negates one of his biggest strengths. Draft a PG to be a backup? Sure, but we can re-sign MCW and find a 3rd PG later in the draft, or from overseas. 

I like Markelle and think his best is in front of him, but I don’t think his presence means you can’t take a PG. Kira especially offers a different style of play behind Fultz, and also could play off the ball alongside him. I also don’t think MCW will be here next season

12 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I'm not 100% sold on Fultz, and we are going to have to make a decision on extending him soon. Additionally, like Toronto and Portland, I think we are seeing a league where two point guards can play together and maximize the new NBA rules. 

I have a couple of fears with drafting a PG, and why I would prefer more of a combo guard:

1) Drafting a PG could send the wrong message, shake Fultz' confidence and lead to some digression in his play. Drafting a combo/backup PG sends him the opposite message, that we have confidence in him. 

2) PG is the hardest position to come in and immediately start to play - it's a pretty steep learning curve for most rookies. It is easier if they are coming in as a backup initially.

3) If we trade Fournier, a combo guard might be more valuable to us. This might open up more playing time for the two point guard lineup as well.

25 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Surely better than playing with two true centers at the same time...

On a completely different note, what do you want to bet that this year's rookies don't all get the 120% of the rookie scale that most of them have gotten in the past? I'm betting every team in the league uses the losses, the shortened season (72 games instead of 82), and the continued reduction in fan attendance to offer closer to the 80% of scale to their draft picks this year. Agents' leverage this season will probably be at an all-time low. 

7 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Maybe we are sold on Wiseman to be our next Shaq/Dwight

Not sure. It would not make sense with Vuch and Bomba here. Anthony Edwards makes most since with fultz. Ball is best talent and play maker I have rated but doesn't fit with fultz and we are high on fultz. 

4 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I have a couple of fears with drafting a PG, and why I would prefer more of a combo guard:

1) Drafting a PG could send the wrong message, shake Fultz' confidence and lead to some digression in his play. Drafting a combo/backup PG sends him the opposite message, that we have confidence in him. 

2) PG is the hardest position to come in and immediately start to play - it's a pretty steep learning curve for most rookies. It is easier if they are coming in as a backup initially.

3) If we trade Fournier, a combo guard might be more valuable to us. This might open up more playing time for the two point guard lineup as well.

1) Fultz has already regressed. He came back for the bubble out of shape and played uninspired. So I don’t know how anybody can have confidence in him as our future.

2) I agree but you have to keep that option open with Markelle playing the way he did. Or a trade for a pg. 

3) god please pull the eject cord on Evan. Please please please for the love of all things, PLEASE!!!

6 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

1# our issue has been playmaking, so we need more creative players. It the NBA players need to win position, so I'm not worried about rubbing him wrong. We only have on pg so I see us adding another. 

2/3# I do want combo guard some good next to fultz. There are a lot of big points in this draft. Plus fultz can defend sgs. I can also see us getting Cole Anthony at 15. 

4 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

I like Grant Riller in the 2nd if we can get him 

7 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

I like this kids confidence...

Anybody seen him play?

Yup. I've posted about him previously if you want to look back in the thread for it. He's my swing for the fences second round guy.

Apparently his over confidence has been turning some teams off in interviews because he's a 2nd round guy who's been telling teams he's going to be an All Star when most of these teams just want to hear you'll play the role they define for you and be happy to go to the G league etc but for a team like us without an established star I'd take a chance on him.

EDIT: I have no idea why it quoted the Riller post.