TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

23 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Huge news here...

League sources say the Magic are attempting to move up into the lottery by packaging this pick with Aaron Gordon. If they stay put, Maxey would potentially provide lottery value and immediately inject life as an energetic presence and a hard-nosed defender. Though Markelle Fultz’s resurgence makes for a nice story, he’s still yet to prove he can reliably shoot the ball. Maxey is further along as a scorer off the dribble, which could push Fultz into his ideal role as a supercharged Shaun Livingston.”

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/#mock

I'm not sure that any of the top three players in this year's draft are/will be good enough to warrant trading AG on his own, never mind AG plus #15. Consider, there isn't even a clear consensus on who should be #1. The closest to a consensus seems to be that Edwards, Ball, or Wiseman will be the top pick, and they all should go top 6. That's almost as unclear as the 2013 draft, where Anthony Bennett ended up going to Cleveland #1. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I'm not sure that any of the top three players in this year's draft are/will be good enough to warrant trading AG on his own, never mind AG plus #15. Consider, there isn't even a clear consensus on who should be #1. The closest to a consensus seems to be that Edwards, Ball, or Wiseman will be the top pick, and they all should go top 6. That's almost as unclear as the 2013 draft, where Anthony Bennett ended up going to Cleveland #1. 

I liked your comment because of the sentiment that I wouldn't trade AG on his own to move up either. 

That being said I personally think Lamelo Ball is the best prospect and if he'd played a season at Duke or Kentucky would be the consensus #1 guy.

20 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I liked your comment because of the sentiment that I wouldn't trade AG on his own to move up either. 

That being said I personally think Lamelo Ball is the best prospect and if he'd played a season at Duke or Kentucky would be the consensus #1 guy.

You could very well be right, that if Ball had played a year of college in the states, he might very well be the consensus #1 guy. The problem is that since he played professionally in Eastern Europe part of the year before, I'm not sure if he was even eligible, hence the year in Australia. I'm not really sold on LaMelo, but we'll just see. 

31 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

15 is too early and doubt he'll be there at 45...this only makes sense if we're thinking about trading down or picking up another late first round draft pick

Apparently his interviews have gone very poorly, so it is possible he is there at 45

23 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

15 is too early and doubt he'll be there at 45...this only makes sense if we're thinking about trading down or picking up another late first round draft pick

Or trading up in the early second. Or trading back into the late first.

Also Nico Mannion is the exact opposite type to what you'd expect we look for which is interesting. 

Then again Weltman came from the Raptors where Masai Ujiri has shown that although he likes a long guy on the wing and up front he's happy to have smaller guards (Augustin, Lowry, Corey Joseph, FVV all average to below average height guards that played in Toronto). 

It doesn't mean anything but Mannion and Vuc have the same agent.

AG for a pick only makes sense if we’re embracing the tank this year and gonna try to move on from Vooch and Ross as well. Go full on rebuild and have a high pick in the loaded 2021 draft and give us a shot at Cade Cunningham.

I actually think I could get behind nuking the roster. You move AG and Vuc and move up this draft. Trade Evan at the deadline, hopefully somehow find a way to shed any long term salary you got along the way. Grab the high pick, sign a big FA, Isaac comes back - you’ve got yourself a potentially good team. It would almost certainly have to involve the Warriors and their trade exception, and you would have to make sure you are bad enough to get in like the top 6

• Like 1

Having just watched “Get To Know” on ESPN, I believe we are targeting Nesmith. Why? His Vandy coach says his best comp is Middleton and those two train together every summer (in Charleston). A sleeper long-term pick I could see us making is McDaniels. A former consensus top 5 recruit, he disappointed this year but has the length, versatility and upside of a typical WeltHam selection.

5 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Having just watched “Get To Know” on ESPN, I believe we are targeting Nesmith. Why? His Vandy coach says his best comp is Middleton and those two train together every summer (in Charleston). A sleeper long-term pick I could see us making is McDaniels. A former consensus top 5 recruit, he disappointed this year but has the length, versatility and upside of a typical WeltHam selection.

His best comp is not Middleton. He has no handle or passing or iso scoring. He's a straight up movement shooter. He's got a similar looking body to Middleton and their jumper looks similar but that's about it. Devin Vassell is much more likely to be Middleton. I think of Nesmith as more like an Allen Crabbe.