Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

A clip has surfaced online of Devin Vassell shooting jumpers, his shot has changed and it looks ugly and bad. 

Do you have a link?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

A clip has surfaced online of Devin Vassell shooting jumpers, his shot has changed and it looks ugly and bad. 

Can you post the clip please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this draft, I think I want the magic to take Grant Ridder from C of C. He’s older (23) but he can score from all 3 levels, is a crafty finisher and can create his own shot. I think a combo guard next to Fultz would work well. I see his comp as Fred Van Fleet. 
 

Now, the player I think we actually take is Josh Green from Arizona. He’s a 3-D guy and I see him being an role player in the NBA which isn’t awful for the 15th pick. 
 

I see his comp as Josh Richardson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

Do you have a link?

 

5 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

Can you post the clip please? 

 

EDIT: I should say we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions here. Maybe he's just goofing around or maybe he's experimenting with something. Its two shots in an empty gym. Maybe he wants people to think his jumper is busted so the Knicks don't pick him at 8? 

Of course it is something to consider and monitor, if longer, more complete videos get put out in the future and his jumper looks like this I'd be incredibly worried. 

EDIT2: As an aside, I wish there was more film of Trent Forrest's jumper (the other guy in the clip). Im not sure he'll get drafted but he's the type of guy to look at on a 2 way or UFA deal. 6'4 with a 6'7 wingspan. Incredible defensive player. By all accounts a super intelligent and hard working guy. Great at attacking down hill and has a nice floater. Has improved his FT percentage every year at college. He's a 3 point shot away from being able to stick in the NBA for a long time and there's every chance he's used this long break to really work on that. Also he was a freshman the same year as JI so they might already have a relationship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

For this draft, I think I want the magic to take Grant Ridder from C of C. He’s older (23) but he can score from all 3 levels, is a crafty finisher and can create his own shot. I think a combo guard next to Fultz would work well. I see his comp as Fred Van Fleet. 
 

Now, the player I think we actually take is Josh Green from Arizona. He’s a 3-D guy and I see him being an role player in the NBA which isn’t awful for the 15th pick. 
 

I see his comp as Josh Richardson. 

I'm actually really surprised at the lack of people mocking Josh Green to us. He's a strong athletic guy who plays defense and has a +4 wingspan. Seems like an obvious WeltHam guy. 

On the same note I'm really surprised nobody has done the "these guys drafted Giannis" thing and mocked us Poku. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

 

 

EDIT: I should say we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions here. Maybe he's just goofing around or maybe he's experimenting with something. Its two shots in an empty gym. Maybe he wants people to think his jumper is busted so the Knicks don't pick him at 8? 

Of course it is something to consider and monitor, if longer, more complete videos get put out in the future and his jumper looks like this I'd be incredibly worried. 

EDIT2: As an aside, I wish there was more film of Trent Forrest's jumper (the other guy in the clip). Im not sure he'll get drafted but he's the type of guy to look at on a 2 way or UFA deal. 6'4 with a 6'7 wingspan. Incredible defensive player. By all accounts a super intelligent and hard working guy. Great at attacking down hill and has a nice floater. Has improved his FT percentage every year at college. He's a 3 point shot away from being able to stick in the NBA for a long time and there's every chance he's used this long break to really work on that. Also he was a freshman the same year as JI so they might already have a relationship.

I thought you were over exaggerating the change in his shooting motion. You weren’t, that’s gross. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm actually really surprised at the lack of people mocking Josh Green to us. He's a strong athletic guy who plays defense and has a +4 wingspan. Seems like an obvious WeltHam guy. 

On the same note I'm really surprised nobody has done the "these guys drafted Giannis" thing and mocked us Poku. 

I don’t know much about the Poku fella. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, MagicFanDan said:

I don’t know much about the Poku fella. 

I’ve seen a couple that have us mocked to pick him, but more because he’s yet another PF/C who can shoot. In a vacuum I don’t hate the pick, but I think he’s a draft and stash. If he comes this year we would need to trade one  or two of  Birch/Bamba/Aminu to make playing room and bring in backcourt or wing players to better balance the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

 

I’ve seen a couple that have us mocked to pick him, but more because he’s yet another PF/C who can shoot. In a vacuum I don’t hate the pick, but I think he’s a draft and stash. If he comes this year we would need to trade one  or two of  Birch/Bamba/Aminu to make playing room and bring in backcourt or wing players to better balance the roster.

I actually disagree with this. I certainly wouldn't stash Poku, his current situation has hardly been good for his development so if he's moving and uprooting his life anyway it might as well be to the US. And then the benefit with Poku is he's the youngest guy in the draft so I wouldn't be as concerned with immediate playing time for him like I would if he was 21. I think it'd benefit him to train with the Magic and work with our strength and conditioning guys while getting him lots of game time and specifically on ball reps in the G League and then situational game time with the Magic as a wild card 7 footer who you can really do some creative things with on offense off ball (in short spurts because there's a chance you bleed points on the other end unless he adds some serious weight and really commits to playing defense).

I don't think we'll pick him to be honest but I would be so excited if we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I actually disagree with this. I certainly wouldn't stash Poku, his current situation has hardly been good for his development so if he's moving and uprooting his life anyway it might as well be to the US. And then the benefit with Poku is he's the youngest guy in the draft so I wouldn't be as concerned with immediate playing time for him like I would if he was 21. I think it'd benefit him to train with the Magic and work with our strength and conditioning guys while getting him lots of game time and specifically on ball reps in the G League and then situational game time with the Magic as a wild card 7 footer who you can really do some creative things with on offense off ball (in short spurts because there's a chance you bleed points on the other end unless he adds some serious weight and really commits to playing defense).

I don't think we'll pick him to be honest but I would be so excited if we did.

Younger than Kira?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×