TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

I like Hampton. His primary skill at the moment is his elite first step combined with his athleticism. He's raw. But the Magic need perimeter creators. Hampton could be that. I'd rather take a low percentage chance on a guy like Hampton being a star than draft a Saddiq Bey personally. (No offense to Saddiq Bey, on a contender he'd probably be great, he just wouldn't move the needle for us as a team)

He's apparently been working on his guard skills and jumper If the rumours are true that he's sliding and we are interested I'd trade back to get him if we could and try and pick up some 2021 draft capital.

Also just a quick comment on the lottery. If we have any interest in trading up to the top of the draft the TWolves and Warriors are probably the best teams to get those top picks for us. 

I just almost posted a long ramble about how we should only care about trying to draft a star and not thinking too much on low end outcomes or fit or need but I've had about 5 hours sleep so it was almost certainly incoherent drivel.

ESPN has Killian Hayes falling to 14!? If he gets to like 12 or 13 and I'm the Magic I'm 100% trading up. Every asset we've got excluding the 2021 first would be in play to make that happen. 

5 hours ago, Anfernee1 said:

You will love RJ if he becomes a good player 

Of course I would. I just don’t want to draft him because he is another athlete with little skill who can’t shoot

Is it so much to ask for a player with who isn’t a complete project on offense?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Captain said:

If we don’t trade up in the draft then I’m fully ready for the gut punch of drafting another big who can’t shoot

That guy isn't really there. Unless we draft Precious Achiuwa at which point I'll legitimately lose the will to live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

That guy isn't really there. Unless we draft Precious Achiuwa at which point I'll legitimately lose the will to live.

Lol that’s what I’m worried about 

14 minutes ago, Captain said:

Lol that’s what I’m worried about 

See I started that previous post like "nah there's no way we can" because I don't personally think Precious Achiuwa is worth a first round pick at all but then I remembered that he's been mocked in the teens pretty consistently and there was a rumour that the Wiz were even interested in him at 9.

I can't imagine any competent front office looks at Precious as a lottery talent. He's a small ball center who can't finish at the rim in the half court. And I know some people have different opinions but I personally think that, whatever their flaws, Weltman and Hammond are at least competent. Of course they could always prove me wrong and drafting Precious would certainly be the easiest way to do that. 

58 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

See I started that previous post like "nah there's no way we can" because I don't personally think Precious Achiuwa is worth a first round pick at all but then I remembered that he's been mocked in the teens pretty consistently and there was a rumour that the Wiz were even interested in him at 9.

I can't imagine any competent front office looks at Precious as a lottery talent. He's a small ball center who can't finish at the rim in the half court. And I know some people have different opinions but I personally think that, whatever their flaws, Weltman and Hammond are at least competent. Of course they could always prove me wrong and drafting Precious would certainly be the easiest way to do that. 

Hammond whiffed on draft picks like everyone else.  Remember Joe Alexander, Jimmer Fredette, John Henson, Jabari Parker, Rashad Vaughn, and Thon Makur?

30 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Hammond whiffed on draft picks like everyone else.  Remember Joe Alexander, Jimmer Fredette, John Henson, Jabari Parker, Rashad Vaughn, and Thon Makur?

Everyone misses on draft picks. I was reading something with I think it was Bob Myers who said the draft was like playing blackjack. You can follow the correct decision making process on every hand but you'll still only hit on a percentage of those hands. 

Whether Hammond has got the correct process, and how that's changed now Weltman is the one actually calling the shots is up in the air.