TrueBlueDrew

2020 Official Draft Thread

5 hours ago, LaVar said:

That is what the gm said he traded the pick for roster flexibility. I don't think he wants more than 2 rookies.

5 hours ago, hootie249 said:

The best thing about Cole is he a real basketball player. Not a project, the kid loves to ball just like his father. Now we need a little luck and hope he reaches his ceiling.

Weltman does not want more rookies because Clifford will not play them. Not that I agree but seems way it is.

i hope Cole gets his chance to shine but with Clifford I’m not optimistic. 

Btw anybody who still wants dj here, please tell me why u want a short old point guard who has lost a step and can’t guard a light post. 

3 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Weltman does not want more rookies because Clifford will not play them. Not that I agree but seems way it is.

Btw anybody who still wants dj here, please tell me why u want a short old point guard who has lost a step and can’t guard a light post. 

You know, I never really thought about this aspect. I assume drafting Cole in essence means saying goodbye to DJ, but I guess that’s not necessarily a sure thing. I’d be extremely disappointed 

12 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I got to tell you, familiarity is hard to let go. Thinking back, Dj's one healthy, good year with us was amazing. It was the only year in the last ten our point guard play wasn't a complete dumpster fire. Not counting Fultz last year, gonna give him a pass. 

29 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

You know, I never really thought about this aspect. I assume drafting Cole in essence means saying goodbye to DJ, but I guess that’s not necessarily a sure thing. I’d be extremely disappointed 

It SHOULD mean that but with this FO anything is possible. If we do resign him it better be for the vet min and to be a locker room presence. Should never sniff the floor unless we have injuries. 

7 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

It SHOULD mean that but with this FO anything is possible. If we do resign him it better be for the vet min and to be a locker room presence. Should never sniff the floor unless we have injuries. 

If we sign mcw, he can be the third PG and play other positions.

Coles statsical profile as UNC is a mess but for a stattnhat both gives a great deal of context for his UNC situation and also a great deal of hope I found this:

Cole Anthony only had 26 unguarded catch and shoot jumpers all year at UNC. But he was 1.6 PPP on those shots. If that's not indicative of the issues UNC had I don't know what is. They miscast Cole as the primary mega creator (Trae Young style) and gave him no spacing or other creators to get him open but on the the rare occasions he was open he was lethal. 

With NBA spacing and playing off ball next to Fultz or even off ball while Vuc works in the post I think he'll be a very good shooter in the NBA. (As Magic fans how many times have we seen Vuc kick out from the post to a wide open Elfrid Payton or Markelle Fultz... Substitute for Cole in that situation and we're cooking).

And then of course he's a very jump shooter off the dribble both from midrange and 3. There's no reason that won't translate I don't think. 

The biggest concern I have for Cole is the burst to get by his man and athleticism to finish inside. How much of those were injury related and (if not injury related) how much of them can be improved in an NBA strength program is what we'll find out.

8 hours ago, LaVar said:

If we sign mcw, he can be the third PG and play other positions.

I would much rather bring MCW back but I think he played himself out of our price range. Love his energy and hustle though and would welcome him back without hesitation.

1 hour ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

I would much rather bring MCW back but I think he played himself out of our price range. Love his energy and hustle though and would welcome him back without hesitation.

DJ was being paid 5mil. I can see 2yrs 10mil for mcw. 5 a yr 

38 minutes ago, LaVar said:

DJ was being paid 5mil. I can see 2yrs 10mil for mcw. 5 a yr 

Actually DJ was getting about $7.5 last year. Problem is we only have the Mid Level Exception and Vet Minimum Contracts to work with this off-season, and limited space under the luxury tax line.

9 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Actually DJ was getting about $7.5 last year. Problem is we only have the Mid Level Exception and Vet Minimum Contracts to work with this off-season, and limited space under the luxury tax line.

He was our own free agent, so can't we just sign him.